“Mixed Feelings”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The resort itself is beautiful and very clean. Very well kept up. The food is plentiful and very delicious. The bartenders were "on the ball" and entertaining. The beach is gorgeous--the snorkeling right out front is amazing! I was not expecting that. The beach vendors are annoying at first, but you learn to ignore them. Despite all this, my review is mixed because the Front Desk Staff was rude, cold, and not accommodating. Whenever we needed anything, we had to call 3 times. The thing we lacked most was fresh water, which was supposed to be restocked in our fridge everyday, as the hotel site lists, along with restocking of beer/soft drinks. This never happened and is false advertising. There is also hardly any internet... hardly ever worked for us so don't even bother buying it from the FD for "in room" internet. When I mentioned it to the desk, they really just did not care...The beds/pillows were very hard and uncomfortable. I did enjoy it, overall. It was a relaxing stay and fun watching people get drunk and crazy at night. But I think if I were back in the DR, I would try elsewhere.

2  Thank Sally F
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to Gran Ventana and for your kind words about the food and the hotel. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy everything at the resort. We very surprised to hear that you had bad experiences with the staff. As you can tell from the majority of the other reviews, the staff are the stars of our resort, so we will certainly discuss this at our next executive team meeting. We do appreciate your comments and the information you have provided will have an impact maintaining the level of quality that is well known at VH Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Just returned from a two weeks vacation at the Gran Ventana. Having read many of the reviews there were no surprises. I agree with most of the reviews, positives and negatives. The place is clean, rooms are spacious, food was good, staff were very friendly and the weather was perfect. So I have no complaints. I believe you can make your holidays whatever you wanted to be. You can complain about the availability of chairs or you can look around until you find one. You can complain about the hard pillows or you can ask them for a softer one. If you cannot find something you like at the buffet, then you should go to a resort where you can have your personal butler and pay for it. I found they will try hard to accommodate your requests. One request they couldn't accommodate is a hot cup of coffee in the morning or hot water for tea. They know that cold water doesn't make hot cup of tea, but guests consume coffee and hot water faster than the resort can boil it. It didn't bother me however since I decided to skip drinking tea all together. Next time I will carry with me one of those small electric water heater and a thermos cup and heat their coffee or make hot water myself. The city tour excursion I took was a highly priced shopping experience. Except for the cable car, the rest I could have done without. So if you are brave enough you can take local transportation to the cable car buy your ticket, spent as much time as you wanted then buy your rum and cigars at the airport or at the beach. Forget about those highly priced precious stones. I consider this as a rip-off waste of money. Internet is not very reliable even after paying $ 20 a week because I thought I would get better internet than the free one that is available at the lobby and the main pool. I wish they do without the free one and provide a reliable internet at a reasonable price. I paid $ 50-60/ week in some other resorts in the area and didn't get any better service. I would be interested to hear from others who could obtain local service using their smart phone as a hot-spot. Entertainment was mediocre at best, but they try hard and it is worth attending if you prefer it over watching TV or chatting with other guests.

In general it is no paradise as some guests thought, nevertheless a comfortable and enjoyable accommodation at the right price. I would, at the right price, definitely return again.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the crowd stay in the quite pool complex
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank discover12
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was not disappointed. Booked our trip through Groupon, so we were a little hesitant. The resort was beautiful and clean. Staff were always friendly as well as entertaining. Everyone you meet is very nice and fun! The beach was clean and had plenty of chairs. The pool chairs do get taken early so mark them with your towels if you want a good spot.

The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great. Definitely pick what you know you will like. They do have a smoothie station in the morning which was a nice touch. Their coffee was always good too with their leche caliente. They had made us reservations at the Italian restaurant was very good. The beach snack bar has really great hot sandwiches too!

Tips I would give: if you like certain liquor, purchase bottles at liquor store nearby, the inclusive deal only includes "classic".

They have a late night snack option, if you are up late drinking. Yummy grilled-cheese and french fries.

If you get a group of people that want to dance, Coco Bongo is a "club" right down the street.

Overall we had a great time and I would highly recommend going if you are looking for an affordable, relaxing, and fun beach getaway!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Very good choice to go with your children. The facilities are relative small-medium size so you can get to the lobby, restaurants of main pool very easy. The food is the average you can find at any beach resort its´not bad but is not amazing, of course the can improve in the desserts. The employees are very helpfull and always smiling, all of them are impressive. The only complaint i have is the A/C system of my room was lack of maintenance, it only worked at high. Also the refrigerator wasnt good.

Room Tip: Not in front of the pool.
1  Thank Robertocjp
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was our first time at Puerto Plata and 2nd time in DR. The place was awesome and the staff were amazing, friendly, and funny. They all know how to keep their guests entertained. Every night there was a different show. They all had us laughing and dancing the night away. We loved Carlos "Santana" and SuperTino"69"!!!!! Everyone was respectful! The resort is fairly small but overall the rooms were clean. The staff were quick on keeping the premises clean. The food was delicious. I tend to be skeptical with buffet but I must say everything was great! There is one flaw which is the number of chairs and umbrellas made available. We would have to be up at 6-630 to reserve a chair. I wish the pool area was a little bigger and their were more chairs. Overall, it was one of the best vacations and I cannot wait to return!!!!

Room Tip: We were in the Catalina building which was near everything. If you prefer the quiet section, ask to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melissa T

March 30-April 13, 2014
Just returned from Gran Ventana, the weather was great, no rain and the resort and people were awesome as usually. We have been there 9 times in the last 6 years.Every time we go there is always some improvement,
The food is great and getting better, variety is awesome, something for everyone. I want to thank Cid (Adolpho), manager of the kitchens. He is a wonderful person and is always looking for ways to enhance the meals.
The new manager Ocscar Lora has taken over as manager of the resort in January. He is the nicest person you want to meet. He is always willing to do anything he can to make your stay perfect. he answers any concerns you may have very quickly. The entertainment committee is also great, our favorite is Delfy, he is a wonderful young man, always makes us laugh.Thanks Son, lol
Renovations have also taken place in the last 2 years. The Building Le Cataloina has all been refurnished.
The beach is clean, and the bar is only steps away. Everything is really conveint and close.
There activities outside the resort thay you can walk to or take a cab.
There has never been any instances where we ever felt we were being threatened in any way when we went shopping outside the coomplex.
Everyone on the resort treated us with the greatest of respect and treats us like family.
We love you all and can't wait to see you in November.
William and Theresa Room 2139 Le Catalina Building

Room Tip: Le Catalina is the newly renovated building, fooms 2136-2141 face the ocean, very quiet rooms 2100...
1  Thank Burford_gal
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Place was very clean. Food was excellent with lots of flavor. First time down south would recommend this place to anyone. Service was great and the drinks were plentiful. Rooms where comfortable. Stayed in the quiet building away from the pool area but we couldn't get all of our rooms together in the buildings by the pool. Didn't mind this though. The beach was beautiful and well maintained. The a la carte rest. where great Food was well prepared and service was excellent. The shows where good and well prepared, coca cola was amazing so was Chocolate(OH MY GOODNESS). The only thing is after the shows stop at 10:30 there is no music but the bars are still open, I think they sould play music until maybe at least to 12:00 or maybe put in a piano bar. The music doesn't have to be loud just something in the background. I would recommend the city tour a great day and cable car ride to the top of the mountain spectacular view of the city and countryside. On the first day of my vacation maybe an hour on the beach before going to the pool area I got a real bad sunburn on my feet and legs, blusters and pain, but I didn't let that stop me I joined in all activities I didn't want to miss anything And enjoyed every minute of my stay.

Room Tip: If you have young children I would recommend the quiet building away from the pool area.
3  Thank neil t