VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
$160
$155
Hotels.com
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$158
$154
  • Breakfast included
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$160
$122
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$150
  • Breakfast included
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$200
$119
  • Pool
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$96
$93
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$151
$103
$130
$111
  • Pool
$148
Travelocity
PlayaBachata Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$76
TripAdvisor
5,878 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildinga la carte restaurantsroyal packagecarlos santanamain poolbeach vendorsocean worldswim up bardominican republicitalian restaurantparadise islandtwo weeks
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We enjoyed our recent week at Gran Ventana All Inclusive resort. The beach was nice, choppy waters as it tends to be in DR winter season. The vendors did not bother us, but we didn't have any interest in their wares. The room was good, cleaned daily. Nice water pressure in the shower, sometimes turning from hot to cold, same thing happens in my home when someone uses the water in a different part of the house. The food was good quality, lots of offerings for every taste, plenty of fresh fruit and salad makings. The nighttime entertainment was fun, but a bit too loud at times. If you stayed under the roof, it was way too loud. We sat around the pool and it was fine. Having never been to an all inclusive, this was very acceptable. There was no lack of food, water, or other items that others complained about. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. It was a great introduction into the AI resort vacation.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room in the Baeta building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LWZ_13
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the resort the evening of March 2nd.
My first impression was it was very small.   Rough around the edges.  Looked old.  It was raining so there were those old mats you would find at your mothers house on the tiles outside.
I had emailed the resort a month in advance asking for a room in a quiet area, close to another person in our travelling party.  The room was close, but I ended up with two double beds - I was travelling with my husband.  I didn't complain, possibly this was a mistake on my part, but I didn't want to lose the location of my room I guess.  The rooms were clean, no issues there.  No, my patio door wouldn't close unless completely forced.  Very ramshackle.
We ate our first dinner there shortly after getting settled in the rooms.  Having stayed at the Riu Palace in Riviera Nayarit, and the Riu Bachata and Gran Bahia Principe, the buffet was like a soup kitchen.  Covered in netting. Getting a drink was near impossible when either your waiter or someone else steals your glasses.  The wine was like acetone.  The food, possibly 3 star calibre.
The beach was great.  The vendors, atrocious.  Something needs to be done about the constant harassment there.  It was disgusting.
Night entertainment with the exception of Wednesday night was sub-par.

I don't think I will be returning to Dominican Republic for a very long time.  And if I do, I won't be staying with the Gran Ventana.  I will never stay at anything lower than a five star ever.  I don't think that the people who have left stellar reviews here have stayed in any quality resorts.  I'm not sure where you stayed, actually.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank applepieshots
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

We certainly regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We highly value the opinions and comments provided by guests. Please know that we do market ourselves as a 5 star resort, but instead aim to provide exceptional quality holiday at an exceptional value which our regular, returning guests do appreciate and enjoy. We do hope you will at least return to the Dominican Republic.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Couldn't agree with Vielka G more ! I was actually in tears from hunger by Sunday afternoon. We arrived 2/28 to an untrained front desk staff - no one could seem to answer basic questions. We thought the hotel was very clean but try to get a quiet room (good luck with that request - I had been emailing the hotel since January !) Something needs to be done about the food..you cannot call yourself "all-inclusive" if you're guests are literally starving. The cafeteria food is inedible. Same dried up limited choices every single day. Same exact cheesy entertainment every day. If you do nothing else, book the Paradise Island VIP tour through Olympus Tours. A 10 star adventure !! Just stay in a different resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary M

Mary M, we are very sorry to now hear that you did not enjoy your stay or that from the selection of over 500 dishes available each day in the buffet, that you could not find anything to your liking. We do appreciate your comments and information provided will have an impact on any improvements that may be necessary to maintain the level of quality that is well known at VH Hotels & Resorts. I trust that the above has clarified the situation and hope that you have not been deterred from booking with VH Hotels & Resorts for future holidays.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Arrived in mid-February for a one weeks stay, with 11 in our group. Loved the resort, rooms were very clean, food was delicious, beach was great. Entertainment was good, we enjoyed our evenings. Felt safe at this resort, and we had three teenagers with us. Would go back again for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for second floor, you will get a breeze when your patio door is open. There is three units, one is the quiet one....unless you like it real quiet, I wouldn't choose it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Linda M
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Ever need a vacation from a vacation ? thats exactly how all of us feel! Booked this resort for a 4 day birthday weekend after finding this location we felt confident that it was going to be a weekend to be remembered and it was in the worst way! First the FOOD WAS HORRIBLE the only decent plate was an order of mozzarella sticks from the Italian "restaurant" and the egg omelet for breakfast at the buffet everything else was -0
Second the bars closed beyond early and they don't have any clubs for the adults for night entertainment within the property.
Third the bedroom HORRIBLE-checked into rooms and within 10 mins plumber was to needed to fix toilet - the AC air smelt like swamp water and the bed rock hard and disgusting brown spots on mattress.
Fourth the beach was not open during the night -no lights nor security nothing to allow us to enjoy a night on the beach ( other resorts in the area provided all this like Bracleo next door which we walked in during one of our nights of exploring)
Last but not least the Staff- Serving staff-everyone working looked MISERABLE- Beach bar one of the line servers "Hurry up we need to close! these americans are on our time" of course not realizing THEY HAVE GUEST THAT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE and it was 4:45pm Beach Bar states its open until 5pm-
I could go on and on about how horrible this location was but i think you get the idea- spend the extra $100-$200 and stay somewhere amazing so you can enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Vielka G
Resort_Team, Manager at VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Vielka G, we are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Gran Ventana. We understand that for the most part your appreciation of our resort differs from the majority of holidaymakers, particularly, when referring to our friendly staff as miserable. We also understand that the topic of food is a very subjective issue. We pride ourselves to offer a large variety of national and international cuisine of very high standards and we certainly regret that it was not to your liking. On the other hand, we would have appreciated if you had informed us while you were on site of your dissatisfaction with our services, as we are certain that we would had been able to tailor-make a much better experience for you – guest satisfaction is absolutely our #1 priority. We do appreciate your comments and the information you have provided will have an impact maintaining the level of quality that is well known at VH Hotels & Resorts.