“Fantastic Holiday!”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We really enjoyed our visit to Gran Ventana. It's a nice size resort, not too big, which is what I liked. The food was great, buffet always had something for everyone! And the Octopus gourmet restaurant was fantastic!! The grill at the beach was great too! The pool was great, not too big. The beach was very clean. The resort was well kept, and our room was very clean! they were always cleaning! The bar guys were all great, always smiling, and knowing what you drink! Met lots of great people from all over.
The only problem I had, was I cannot lay on a lounge chair at the beach or pool. I would've liked some plastic chairs to sit on (especially at the beach) . So, I found myself standing alot.. I loved the evening entertainment, especially the dancing! I also enjoyed the games with the animation group. Sometimes there wasn't much to do, with the animation team, couldn't always find them.. I would like more music during the day. We went on the Cable Car outing, and really enjoyed it. Saw the Rum factory & more, & had a great Buffet lunch at the "Bamboo"! Loved looking at Puerto Plata from way way up! Our tour guide (Willian), was fantastic too. All-in-all I thought it was a great holiday! I have told lots of people & recommend it! Thaks GV!!

Room Tip: Our room was in the Catalina, very nice & quiet room.
8  Thank heylouie
Write a ReviewReviews (5,621)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 weeks (13 Jan to 27 Jan 2014) at the Gran Ventana and really enjoyed our stay. The food was good and the staff are amazing. The entertainment team is full of energy and inspired everyone to join in the activities and have some fun. Twice I had to call for the maintenance person to come. Once for the balcony door and one for a plugged drain. He arrived within 20 minutes both times to fix the problems. The cleaning staff are also very friendly. I used the kayaks and the snorkeling equipment almost daily and was very happy to be able to do so at no extra cost. The bicycles on the other hand were in such bad shape that they were not even able to be ridden. I hope these get replaced. It is too bad because I had really wanted to ride around the area and was something I was looking forward to. Another downfall of this resort for me as I am a non smoker is that people can smoke anywhere and everywhere which can be a little annoying. If you smoke you’ll be very happy. I like the fact that it is a small resort as the walk to the beach takes only a couple of minutes. The beach is kept spotless and cleaned every morning. I would recommend this resort and found it to be good value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the Soana Building
8  Thank Kelly L
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I am a lover of intimate resorts and great food. Mostly when traveling, I love the local flare and being immersed within culture. I felt this vibe from Gran Ventana. While choosing this resort, I recall reading reviews from what seemed like stuffy, aloof guests who complained about locals staying there. To me locals= great food!! Additionally locals here are generally wealthy Dominicans who stay here on the weekends, not as if they are rowdy, vulgar patrons and during my stay, my BF and I met many a friendly and warm Dominican.
Oh the food!! Every morning we woke up to the not so healthy, but tasty traditional Dominican friend cheese, mangoo, and fried/runny eggs. Uh this is probably the most delicious Dominican dish. The food here was buffet style, but it was always so tasty. Everything was freshly prepared, and though my BF is Dominican and his family would make these traditional meals, it tasted so different here in DR. The drinks were made well and were not over powered with alcohol or watered down.
Though the pool closed at 7-8ish pm, there was access to the beach all night and security, so my BF and I were able to spend time listening to the ocean under the brightest moonlight ever, while smoking cigars....truly romantic.
The food and the grounds were so good, I failed to mention the rooms.....They were spacious with an antique/modern decor. The bathrooms were large enough that my BF and I were not bumping into each other and they were also very clean. I have this bizarre pet peeve of floral sheets and tube TVs, and this hotel was able to deliver with modern bedding, comfy beds, and a flat screen TV.
Loved this resort and will stay here gain on my next visit to DR.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jantraveldiva
Reviewed February 9, 2014

After returning to the gran ventana beach resort for the 3rd time this January it's safe to say my trip was absolutely fantastic. It's been 4 years since my last visit there and it has changed but definitely for the better, everything about this resort is amazing it doesn't matter what age you are there is always something for you to do or get involved with.

The food in the buffet is really good lots of variety and the 3 a la carte restaurants are a definite must go the food is beautiful and the service is excellent.

As for the animation team they are exceptionally good!!! They just never stop from morning till night, they are always there with a smile on their face ready to get the holiday makers involved in what ever crazy games they are doing next, they made our holiday especially Carlos Santana he's brilliant they always kept us entertained.

The reception staff were really helpful if we had a problem, the hotel it's self and the rooms were always kept clean, the pool & beach are amazing and the bars are also really good, we are definitely returning this year at some point hopefully the summer as we loved every minute and can't wait to get back there it was such an amazing holiday.

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Emma-Marie-A
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I am pretty irritated at some of the picky reviews on here as they bear no relation with reality. We are in our first week here and have found an overwhelming smiling welcome, excellent food and drinks and plenty to do. As requested the hotel gave us a quiet room facing the quiet pool - just ask for a quiet room in the Beata building - which is perfect for us. The buffet is excellent with a huge variety. The only reason we did not give five out of five rating was that on arrival the bellboy was very unhelpful; apart from that it has been great!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank phil59
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We first visited GV 12 yrs. ago & then not again for another 7 yrs. and it was the only resort that we liked just as much the second time around. Since then we have visited at least twice a yr. and last yr. 3 times.
This time the hotel was full. Each time we have noticed changes, different things being replaced, the sunbeds around the pool, the old type TV's, WiFi etc. The positive change this time was the new General Manager. Sr. Carrera was always pleasant but Sr. Oscar Lora has made some very important changes mostly in the entertainment. The Manager's Cocktail party on Wednesdays is also something new and what a great way to introduce the staff. One night the kitchen staff in the buffet restaurant at the end of the night did the "Latinos" song and dance and everyone in the resort ran over when they heard this. Another time two of the entertainers did a "Dirty Dancing" skit and it was hilarious.

Food : Helmut and his staff are still doing a great job. Glad the "smoothie guy" was back. Rooms : Always clean, staff works very hard. The rooms are gradually being redecorated.
Beach : Never seen it cleaner. It is swept daily and even saw some of the garden staff picking up cigarette butts left by uncaring smokers!!! GV does have the best beach on the Playa Dorada. The vendors are ok and just move on when you say "no gracias" we even chat with a couple of them as they remember us.
Entertainment : Although we do not participate much in the entertainment, there is lots more to do now if you wish. We do participate in the bingo and the karaoke. Glad there is a mini karaoke now as well as I find it hard to stay up late for the main entertainment. Also, there are fun games and contests which we enjoyed watching like the cocktail making, towel art, fruit decorations. The aerobics in the ocean was fun and some days there were up to 30 participants and the various games on the beach in addition to the beach volleyball. We do need new bingo cards and some of the numbers are missing. Missed Jose (Shakalaka) as the bingo caller but then he had more important things to do as m.c.

Staff : They are def. numero uno, always friendly, nothing is too much trouble.

Trips : Can get them thro. yr. rep. or go to the plaza just outside the GV and ask for James Vaughn. His prices are better & they are insured. The guys on the beach also have good prices; ask for Neury.

Tip for new visitors - be sure to go the rep. meeting as we find most people don't do this & it is so important.
Can't wait to go back again, probably in Oct.

8  Thank DarleyDaleGirl
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Looking for a winter break we chose to return to the Gran Ventana and once again had a great time.We saw lots of people from our visit last year so we are not the only satisfied guests.Our room was one of the refurbished in the Catalina building and kept spotless by our maid Bernadina.We took advantage of the a la carte restaurants which are all excellent.Again the beach was fantastic and we were not bothered by vendors as they were polite and left us alone when we said no! There is a good choice of food in the main restaurant but the staff can be stretched on occasions but this does stop me for giving a five star rating-look forward to returning next year!!

3  Thank nett22