“What an Amazing time!”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Me and 2 friends booked our trip to the VH Gran Ventana by chance, it was cheap but with an excellent rating so we went for it, when we arrived at the resort people were so nice and inviting, the porter helped us with our bags immediately and as we checked in we were greeted with a drink (non alcoholic but still delicious) Due to horror stories we were a little scared to have drinks with icecubes but after talking to people who had been there several times they assured us it was ok and non of us got sick from the food or water!

The Food at the buffet was amazing, delicious, gorgeous presentation and plenty of variety
The Food at the Ale-cart's were superb! Especially at the ocean grill!

Over all everything was beautiful, clean, gorgeous, the only "complaint" that i had was the fact that all the bars were closed before midnight even for a glass of pop or juice

Room Tip: Ask for a rom on the second floor....no chance of cockroaches (we were on the first floor and didn...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sydney M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,621)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

After staying at Lifestyle's Cofresi Beach last year, we selected VH's Gran Ventana for this years vacation. And we were happy with our selection. So how was it?
Let's start with the room. The room we booked was called Superior Room. If I think about it, there was nothing superior about it. The word that comes to mind is adequate. So we had a not too big room in Edificio Catalina equipped with a queen bed, two night tables, TV in an enclosure and a desk with a chair. The minibar was located in the cabinet in the entry way. The massive concrete walls made sure that there was no sound transmittal from neighbouring rooms - quite nice after our experience with Cofresi. The floor was ceramic tile, very practical for this kind of hotel.The attached bathroom featured polished travertine on the walls and on the floor, a travertine vanity, standard toilet and unfortunately, a bathtub with a shower and shower curtain. I'm not too big fan of bathtubs in hotel rooms, I'd rather have a shower stall. Not to mention that a shower stall with glass doors would look much better in combination with the expensive material on the walls and the floor than the cheap curtain. Hint to the maintenance manager - use caulking instead of grout in the corners and around the tub.
The food: While one can't expect Michelin chef level food in a 4 star all inclusive resort, I dare to say the food was excellent. Fresh, tasty, good selection in the Las Almejas (main buffet) was combined with excellent service and great food in the Ocean Grill and Sapore Di Mare. The only place I didn't like was the Octopus, both service and food quality wise. Apparently the staff had a bad day when we were dining there.
Drinks: Well, I drank basically only rum (Brugal brand) and beer (Presidente) with my food, as I'm not a friend of mixed drinks. I was satisfied with the rum. The beer is a typical North American adjunct lager, so if somebody is a friend of craft beers, he or she will be a bit disappointed. But it tastes great in the hot Dominican climate. Nice touch was the self serve draught head in the Las Almejas. Soft drinks - such as juices and coffee were great as well.
Service: The staff was really great and friendly. No complaints here.
The beach: A 250 metre stretch of Playa Dorada right in front of the resort has a Blue Flag certificate and it was visible - the water is clean, so is the sand. The beach is cleaned several times of the day. The reef close to shore offers snorkeling right at the beach with lots of fish and other sea life visible. The only annoying part is the presence of vendors selling all kinds of stuff and being not capable to take no as an answer.
Other services: As usual, the resort is offering scuba training and day trips. Surprisingly, it was about 30% cheaper compared to the Cofresi. The same is true about the merchandise and excursions offered at the beach - we managed to book a snorkling trip to Sosua Bay at a very good price.
Few words about the package: It was purchased from Air Canada Vacations. It was more expensive than other companies, hence the average value rating. However, I needed the flight segments to maintain my status with AC and we had a connecting flight from our home airport eliminating driving to YYZ. So it was worth the money. On top of it AC improved the package's value by upgrading us to business class on the YUL-POP segment on the way there. Great way to start a vacation!
The usual notes to the end: Would i recommend this resort? Definitely. Would I go back? Absolutely.

9  Thank T B
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I came here at the end of October. The resort was quiet with just a few families and older couples. The beach was beautiful and clean. The staff set out chairs early in the morning which was helpful. The only downside to the beach is that it's public... which can really test your patience when you're trying to sleep/read/have a conversation and you're being approached every 5 minutes to ask if you want to buy something. It's their job, and that's fine, but we would have enjoyed the beach more if they weren't there. The pool on the other hand, was beautiful! If I didn't love being on a beach so much, the pool is definitely the best option. The room was alright, a few things could use some updating. We could pretty much hear everything outside our door, which meant everyone got up at the same time. The food was good! I would recommend making reservations in advance... we missed out on a few nights of a-la-cart dining because they got full early. The ocean grill was definitely our favourite. The breakfast buffet was awesome, while the lunch and dinner was average. We enjoyed our stay, but I'm not sure if we would make this resort our must-go-to resort next time we visit puerto plata

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tecamilolo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My boyfriend Mike and I went here for a week getaway to get away from the craziness of the city. I couldn't have asked for a more relaxing place and just an overall great experience. I firstly have to say that the staff are all unbelievable. They are nice, accommodating and friendly. The food was great, lots of selection. You also get a chance to go to three a la carte restaurants--Italian, seafood and a grill by the beach. I honestly cannot say one bad thing about this hotel aside from the fact that there are lots of vendors on the beach but you can easily look past that. It is a mixed crowd--young and old...not many kids but also not the kind of place you would go to 'pick up chicks' (We saw a couple disappointed suitors as it's mostly couples). The hotel was always clean...I never saw a fly or spider in my room the whole time and trust me, I checked. The shows every night added some entertainment, and there was also a bar in the plaza called Coco Bongo where we went with another couple dancing. You can also book tours through the hotel if you're like us and need a change from the beach once and a while. We did the city tour and the 27 waterfall tour. Both were amazing but the waterfall tour was unreal. There is also free Wi-Fi in the common area and possibly the rooms (we didn't bring an ipad or computer) Honestly, I never even do reviews of hotels but if you're on the fence, book this hotel. You won't regret it. It's clean, comfortable and yes, it has a pool bar!

Room Tip: Choose the king bed option as opposed to the double queen if you can
8  Thank kait d
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff were really friendly. The food was also great and we would definitely recommend eating in the A'La-Carte restaurant 'Ocean Grill' which serves gorgeous steak which is all part of the all inclusive you get here. The fact that the complex sits right on the beach is a bonus. The only downside that we found was that the beach has too many traders who constantly heckle you to buy gifts. Aside from that everything was perfect. If you decide on doing one of the excursions there (i.e the snorkeling, water sports) be careful who you go with as some of the excursion reps are not insured to take you out. We went with Pro'Dive to two reefs to do snorkeling - not only were they insured to take us out but they were great to go with and very friendly so I would advise anyone looking at doing an excursion to go with them.

3  Thank l_nikki_warner1984
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My friends and I came to this resort in November 2013 and this was an amazing resort for the 3 of us! It's not a large resort like some of the other places in Playa Dorada but it has a beach unlike the rest of the resorts. The food was great and the service was excellent. The pool area is nice with the swim up bar and volleyball net. There's a lot of seating areas with free wifi. It's about a 2-5 minute walk to the shopping plaza from the resort and it's very safe, there's security everywhere!
The only thing I didn't like about this resort was that the bars closed very early when we were there! to drink until 2am with friends, we'd have to go off resort but the closest bar/disco was about 2 minutes away. Other than that, this resort was amazing and we can't wait to go back in May 2014 !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Cheyenne T
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my daughter had a great vacation. we were there from 18 to May 24 , 2013 , we had an amazing time. the hotel and resort was always clean. the food was great. there was always different food every day. the a la carte restaurants were goid too. the italian restaurant and the restaurant on the beach. the octopus restaurants was great too. the pool was always clean . you have a great team at the gran ventana . starting from the people who clean to the entertainers. we had. Great time. the service was good too. I was hapot wuth the service at the bar. and the bartenders. absolutely i recomend this resort to new customers. hopefully i sill return next year at the same place and time. and i wull mention the entertainers. they really know gow to entertain.

• Stayed: May 2013