“good, but not great”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Canada
“good, but not great”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I came here at the end of October. The resort was quiet with just a few families and older couples. The beach was beautiful and clean. The staff set out chairs early in the morning which was helpful. The only downside to the beach is that it's public... which can really test your patience when you're trying to sleep/read/have a conversation and you're being approached every 5 minutes to ask if you want to buy something. It's their job, and that's fine, but we would have enjoyed the beach more if they weren't there. The pool on the other hand, was beautiful! If I didn't love being on a beach so much, the pool is definitely the best option. The room was alright, a few things could use some updating. We could pretty much hear everything outside our door, which meant everyone got up at the same time. The food was good! I would recommend making reservations in advance... we missed out on a few nights of a-la-cart dining because they got full early. The ocean grill was definitely our favourite. The breakfast buffet was awesome, while the lunch and dinner was average. We enjoyed our stay, but I'm not sure if we would make this resort our must-go-to resort next time we visit puerto plata

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tecamilolo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My boyfriend Mike and I went here for a week getaway to get away from the craziness of the city. I couldn't have asked for a more relaxing place and just an overall great experience. I firstly have to say that the staff are all unbelievable. They are nice, accommodating and friendly. The food was great, lots of selection. You also get a chance to go to three a la carte restaurants--Italian, seafood and a grill by the beach. I honestly cannot say one bad thing about this hotel aside from the fact that there are lots of vendors on the beach but you can easily look past that. It is a mixed crowd--young and old...not many kids but also not the kind of place you would go to 'pick up chicks' (We saw a couple disappointed suitors as it's mostly couples). The hotel was always clean...I never saw a fly or spider in my room the whole time and trust me, I checked. The shows every night added some entertainment, and there was also a bar in the plaza called Coco Bongo where we went with another couple dancing. You can also book tours through the hotel if you're like us and need a change from the beach once and a while. We did the city tour and the 27 waterfall tour. Both were amazing but the waterfall tour was unreal. There is also free Wi-Fi in the common area and possibly the rooms (we didn't bring an ipad or computer) Honestly, I never even do reviews of hotels but if you're on the fence, book this hotel. You won't regret it. It's clean, comfortable and yes, it has a pool bar!

Room Tip: Choose the king bed option as opposed to the double queen if you can
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank kait d
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff were really friendly. The food was also great and we would definitely recommend eating in the A'La-Carte restaurant 'Ocean Grill' which serves gorgeous steak which is all part of the all inclusive you get here. The fact that the complex sits right on the beach is a bonus. The only downside that we found was that the beach has too many traders who constantly heckle you to buy gifts. Aside from that everything was perfect. If you decide on doing one of the excursions there (i.e the snorkeling, water sports) be careful who you go with as some of the excursion reps are not insured to take you out. We went with Pro'Dive to two reefs to do snorkeling - not only were they insured to take us out but they were great to go with and very friendly so I would advise anyone looking at doing an excursion to go with them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank l_nikki_warner1984
Moosonee, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My friends and I came to this resort in November 2013 and this was an amazing resort for the 3 of us! It's not a large resort like some of the other places in Playa Dorada but it has a beach unlike the rest of the resorts. The food was great and the service was excellent. The pool area is nice with the swim up bar and volleyball net. There's a lot of seating areas with free wifi. It's about a 2-5 minute walk to the shopping plaza from the resort and it's very safe, there's security everywhere!
The only thing I didn't like about this resort was that the bars closed very early when we were there! to drink until 2am with friends, we'd have to go off resort but the closest bar/disco was about 2 minutes away. Other than that, this resort was amazing and we can't wait to go back in May 2014 !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cheyenne T
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my daughter had a great vacation. we were there from 18 to May 24 , 2013 , we had an amazing time. the hotel and resort was always clean. the food was great. there was always different food every day. the a la carte restaurants were goid too. the italian restaurant and the restaurant on the beach. the octopus restaurants was great too. the pool was always clean . you have a great team at the gran ventana . starting from the people who clean to the entertainers. we had. Great time. the service was good too. I was hapot wuth the service at the bar. and the bartenders. absolutely i recomend this resort to new customers. hopefully i sill return next year at the same place and time. and i wull mention the entertainers. they really know gow to entertain.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank nina7090
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We were on a 3 day vacation at this hotel. I'm going to be short and sweet. This is our 3rd time in DR and I can tell you that this was not the best hotel however you get what you pay for. Food was great, service was amazing, and attitude of hotel employees was good as well. Our room was extra clean, including our towels were changed twice a day! I would definitely recommend this place for anyone. The only one thing that was horrible is that you will get bothered on the beach by local people trying to sell you their goods other than that it was great stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Igor F
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My friend and I (2 females late 20's) we're at this resort from Nov 6-13th. It was both of our first times in the DR. Our first impression of the resort was that it seemed quiet. Mostly couples, older people and families. We we're lucky to meet a few other people that we're travelling alone and made friends with them.

Entertainment- Learn to make your own fun!!! The evening shows didn't impress us. There was a Michael Jackson impressonator which was probably the best show of the week. There we're dancers(who couldnt dance in sync) kareoke night(not many people went up to sing) disco night. The bar closes at midnight and most people head to their rooms. If you're looking to stay up late and have fun either travel with big groups or meet others that want to do the same. We hung out by the snack cart which is open from midnight to 2am. We call it the hot dog cart, as they serve hot dogs, sandwiches beer and rum. We would hang out by there and lots of other people would come down and join us. Aside from that we would head to the beach and bring some drinks and go swimming at 2 am in the ocean. I recommend laying on the beach and looking at the stars, it's beautiful.

Food- I'm a very picky eater so I was really worried about the food. However, the buffet has a large varierty. There's something for everyone. From fries, pizza, seafood dishes, rice, chicken, potatoes, pork, bread station and soo many desserts to choose from. And the staff at the buffet are wonderful. They're constantly refilling your drinks. They really appreciate any tips.

The a la carte restaurants are really good as well. The best one in my opinion was the Italian. It is outside so it is really warm and humid. Bring a paper fan if you must to keep cool.

We we're in room 1308 and it was very clean and spacious. Beds we're comfortable. THe only issue we had was the bathtub kept clogging and water kept coming back out of the drain., Just call the front desk and they'll fix it.

The daily entertainment was kind of dull. They had bingo and volleyball and pool games. One day they had some staff dancing by the pool. SO dont count on that to keep you entertained during the day.

The beach is nice, the water is warm and the vedors are aggressive. They're constantly a vendor bugging you when all you want to do is lay back relax and be left alone. YOu need to be very stern with them in your not interested.

Also be very careful when brining your personal belongings to the pool or bar. Our camera was stolen on the 2nd night we we're there. We're not sure if it was staff or another tourist so just be very careful not to put your stuff down and turn away from it.

Overall, the resort was a little quiet but it is low season, the food is good, rooms are clean, staff is great, the enetertainment could be better. We we're lucky to have met some wonderful people the week we we're there. If it wasn't for them I dont think our week would have been as much fun as it was.

If you are planning on doing any excursions, I recommend the trip to Paradise Island, its a small little island but the snorkeling is great. THe city tour was a waste of time. We also did 3 hours of horseback riding in the mountains(go see Alberto in the Mall at the excursion place on the first floor) he's cheap but trustworthy. And I hear the Catamaran and waterfalls are great.

I hope that helps. I don't think I would be back at this resort, but only because I always like to do new places, never the same twice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends