“Excellent vacation!! Full review!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, Canada
“Excellent vacation!! Full review!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled during March 4-11th of this year. It was my second all inclusive trip and his first. Honestly it was a fantastic trip! Despite the rainy weather at first, it did not ruin our experience. Short story is yes, we would come back!

Check in: When we first arrived, the bell boy greated us and took care of our luggage. Downside was we arrived early (check in was at 3) we had 2 hours to grab some lunch and sit by the pool before getting our room. Checking in went smoothly, as I mentioned I had emailed prior to arrival about a request for a king bed and ocean view in the Catalana building and got exactly that! Very impressed considering it was march break and our first time.

Room: It was very nice and somewhat renovated. Bathroom was new with tiles, flat screen tv and a small mini fridge that had 2 beers, Pepsi and 7up and a jug of water that they refill daily. King bed was hard but I got extra pillows, so it was fine. Could use more storage for clothing, very limited with drawers. We were on the first floor and saw a little of the ocean but there is a lot of palm trees/foliage on the grounds of the hotel. Very beautiful to sit out there at night on your balcony.

Food: AMAZING! Nothing but good things to say! I have been to Cuba and it was terrible there. We ate like kings here and I am A VERY picky eater to say the least haha. The al a cartes were great too, the octopus was Mediterranean, Italian had great pasta and ocean grill I would recommend the surf and turf.

Pool/Beach: We mostly lounged at the pool during our stay only because it was so busy..you had to reserve your spot earlier with your towels (even tho it says you are not allowed to) so going to the beach was kind of disappointing because A: you had to lay in the sand and B: vendors! Now I understand they will come up and you just have to be firm and say no thank you but they really do pester you..they make you remember their name and number. I get they need to make a living but I didnt think it would bother me as much as it did. However that being said, it was the cleanest and most beautiful part of the beach in my opinion. I did not get the chance because of the weather but snorkeling I heard was a must! Pool very clean! And lots of fun with the pool volleyball, we met a lot of great people by joining in.

Entertainment: What can I say, it's typical but fun. I had a few good laughs with some of the events, live band was great! The animation team is fantastic! The two guys made it a lot of fun with the games and coming with us after their shift to the coco bongo! Made us feel safe and showed us a good time. We are in our early twenties, I was a little bummed there wasn't a disco at our resort, so we had to walk into the plaza if we wanted to keep the night going which was actually a lot fun! The resort legit shuts down at midnight, a snack bar comes out from 10-2am it serves rum and beer only with snacks. But everything is very quiet after the show was done lol so keep that in mind.

Staff: AMAZING! I seriously can't say this enough, but the people here made our trip! They are so friendly and such hard working people! I cannot believe their hospitality, I always saw them working, cleaning and smiling. Frankie was our favourite bartender, first day there asked for our names always remembered us. One other individual was the nicest person! All he did was clean up around the lobby and again, remembered us, always said hi! Made sure we gave him a souvenir before we left.

Other: I highly recommend checking out the monkey jungle! Very rewarding experience! We loved it and it goes toward such a great cause.

Sorry for such a lengthy review but it's an honest opinion! It was excellent! I would go back in a heart beat. I would recommend this place for anyone whose a first timer to Puerta Plata, and couples! I find people who write bad reviews is because they have high expectations and are picky. You have to remember, you are in the Dominican republic! If you are looking for something high end go to punta cana or elsewhere. This is a GREAT bang for your buck! Again thank you VH Gran Ventana for the great vacation :) we hope to be back soon!

Carly and Kevin

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Carly B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just returned from our hols 8th April - 23rd April 2013. As usual the hotel and staff have done everything to make our holiday a great experience. The food is good with a lot of choice, Al-la-cart restaurants: Are very good with a good choice of dishes weather it be in the Italian, Octopus (Caribbean) or The Ocean Grill.
The hotel is clean in all aspects with all communal areas being serviced regularly during the Day and Night.
The rooms have received some modifications since our last visit in 2011 ie: Electronic door entry, Flat screen TV's and New Beds although the Mini Bar fridges have seen better days.
I have rated it 4 Star and not 5 Star simply because the hotel charges for Broad band.

The Pools are great and very clean with plenty of Sun Loungers and the Beach has lovely white sand with azure blue sea and coral for snorkeling, both come complete with their own bar.

The Plaza: Which is situated just a few minutes walk from the Hotel used to be a hive of activity but now is a sad reflection of days gone by, however you can still buy the things you may have forgot to bring. A word of warning !!!!!!!! when you need more currency use the Bank or the ATM'S (although they are nearly always empty). If you use the local bureau de change you will be RIPPED off with an 8% commission.

Rest assured you will have a great holiday whether as a family or a couple, do not take any notice of negative reviews, during our many stays We have not seen or heard any problems for guests that were not remedied straight away with the minimum of fuss and none of these were show stoppers.

HAVE A GREAT TIME

Room Tip: La Saona and Catalona blocks overlook the main pool and beach
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick C C
Scarborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just returned from VH Gran Ventana April 22, 2013. It was a wonderfully clean hotel. The food was great, the staff were very friendly. Although our room wasn't ready when we got there, the bellboy took great care of our suitcases, we changed into sun wear, ate and headed to the pool. No time lost. The pool(s) were clean, the bars were always accommodating and refreshing. They have a quiet pool that we stumbled upon. You have to leave through the front of the hotel, turn right and go to what appears to be the next hotel. It is actually the same hotel, with a very quiet pool area directly through the entrance. The daily/nightly entertainment was enjoyable. Suitable for all ages, singles and families. The day trips were reasonably priced and there was quite a variety to choose from. The 1/2 day waterfalls were awesome, your choice to either slide or jump, either way you were swimming. An underwater camera would be great here. Dune buggies were good as well, there wasn't much water/mud on the roads, but I found most people didn't want to get dirty anyway. We did and it was obvious as we drove through every puddle possible. Bring goggles and a bandanna to avoid inhaling too much dirt. The beach was clean and the waves were frequent as there seem to always be wind on the beach. Venders selling on the beach do not hound you, simply say no and walk on..
TIP: watch the pesos to dollars conversion when shopping, it seems to work to their advantage when suitable. 100 pesos = $2.50 american. I did it this way e.g. 375 pesco/2 =187, 1.87x5= $9.38
Outside the all inclusive things can be very costly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 2patient
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Where do I start...... We traveled in summer 2012 but could only review now as we have been awaiting the result of a refund claim against our travel comp, which we have now won! 4 rooms booked between our group, the problems were not just in one room.
ROOMS: Mould in bathrooms (shower heads and wash line provided to dry swim wear), bugs in beds (spider and ant infestation in headboard which then crawled into bed), old and run down rooms, bedding falling apart, dirty/dusty rooms, joke of "mini-bar", electric wires hanging from ceiling, broken aircon, broken extractor fan in bathroom (floor slippy and dangerous after shower) broken patio doors.
FOOD: Birds would get into buffet area (understandable) however staff would scare them away and then leave the food unchanged for people to eat even tho they had seen the bird on the food!! Al a carte food ok but I became ill after eating at Octopus resturant. I was ill for approx 4-5 days of holiday. Our rep advised us to book al a carte meals at weekends to avoid crowds, as the hotel sells off spare rooms to local holiday makers. This would be fine if the hotel knew how to cope with influx of people but we found buffet suffered as did all public areas (blocked toilets left for days, blood sodden tissue at the top of bins in toilets etc...)
GYM poor, rusty, smelly toilets.
STAFF found the staff to be very rude even when we spoke spanish to them. Staff also asked us to get then alcoholic drinks from the bar when the boss wasnt around.
Entertainment = Very poor, there was a activity board but it was never correct, we waited 30mins at beach for volleyball to start (it never started), we arrived at the pool at 10.50am for water aerobics advertised at 11am but it was already nearly finished. Pool tables we old and area packed, we managed to get approx 2-3 games in the whole 2 weeks. Never managed to have a game of pool. The evening entertainment was poor however they made a good effort with magic show and Michael jackson.
Beach = you are never left alone by vendors. They are nice but they don't take NO for an answer. People come upto you very 5mins and eventually I gave up on the beach and went to my room. I only went to the beach 2/3 times as it was not relaxing at all.
Also a word of warning about male entertainment staff, we did see very odd flirting with teenage girls. To be honest the girls seemed to like the attention but if you have girls in your group just be aware that they will try it on.
We have traveled to Dom Rep before and were very much looking forward to the holiday but it was disapointing. I feel that if its your first experience of All inclusive in the caribbean then you will possibly like it. If you have been anywhere else such as Mexico etc... you will not enjoy it.
My advise would be to go Mexico instead, even if its more money you will have a much better time. I feel bad to say that as I loved Dom Rep the first time I visited in 2005 but it has changed for the worse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 556katie
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

This resort was an all around an enjoyable experience in Dominican. The food was great and the staff was really friendly except for one of the dancers named Carlos, he comes across to be nice but he will tell you to come to coco bongo and be friendly with you at the resort but its not until you go to the disco coco bongo that he will set you up and have his friends pick pocket you. He knew I was leaving in the morning some told me to come, I went with my girlfriend and some others we met on the resort. When I saw him there he was talking to some locals (his friends) and it looked like they were eyeing me up. Shortly after I remember looking at my phone to see what time it was then the same guys who he was talking to came up dancing really close to me and left really quick so that seemed sketchy to me so I quickly went to feel my phone and it was gone. Being that at the resort he was trying to be all buddy buddy with me I went up to him asking if he could help me and he acted as if I wasn't even there. So with all that being said the resort is great and another dancer named Micky is amazing he would play volleyball in the pool with us everyday and was an all round great guy. I just want to inform you all that Carlos is a very sketchy character and it would be in your best interest to stay away from him if your going to be visiting gran ventana.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Matt B
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Hi, i know this is a little late but 'better late than never eh?'. We stayed here in August 2012 for 2 weeks, officially we didn't actually book this hotel we booked a hotel just down the road called 'be live grand Marian'... we were moved to this hotel just 12 hours after we landed into the country of Dominican Republic ... and after the fiasco that we had at the previous hotel i vowed to myself i would NEVER come back to the Dom Rep .. HOWEVER ........ we arrived at the Vh Gran Ventana and were immediately welcomed by the staff at the hotel, we were given a room on the ground floor (due to a member of our trip having slight mobility problems) we were then told that if our room was not to the standard we are looking for then we are too go back to reception and they would move us to another room as soon as they could!!

rooms - They are lovely, CLEAN, FRESH, WELCOMING AND FULLY EQUIPPED... they have a TV, Kettle, Bottle of water, Fridge stocked up when needed, safe (which has to be paid for at reception, but is a deposit for the whole holiday) and a fully equipped bathroom with a bath and shower overhead, and toiletries ...

Pool -- this is lovely, Quiet and welcoming, lots of sun beds (bearing in mind we went in the hurricane season so wasn't so busy), had a swim up bar WHICH IS AMAZING and Louie will be happy too get you anything you want... and another bartender who we didn't get the name of but had the nickname of SMILER was lovely too always always had a smile on his face and was up for a chat whenever you wanted one!

restaurant -- this is lovely two .. lots of choice, fresh meat and fish being made every day and PIZZA... they also had Cheeseburgers and Hotdogs at lunch time in the buffet and ocean grill (Beach bar), as soon as they saw you sit down they were there to ask what you wanted to drink and would bring it too you as soon as they could .. the staff started to get to know us after around 4/5 days and there would be a glass of red wine when we got back from getting food
the A'la carte restaurants are lovely too the ocean grill was my favourite, with Caesar salad, and fish fingers to start.. and steak for main (LOVELY) the Italian is lovely too and the female bartender up there makes the BEST Irish coffee ... the octopus a'la carte wasn't my favourite due to it not having anything i would necessarily enjoy as i am not a huge fan of fish!

bars -- they are lovely too, the pool bar drinks are served in plastic glasses, but would you want broken glass around the main pool area? ... sometimes at night you get proper glasses but more often than not in the main bar and pool bar you get plastic glasses(this is because they are both around the pool and if someone breaks a glass and some of it goes in the pool then a child or a adult comes and steps on it, the next day then there would be problem, so its more for the safely aspect of the holiday), however in in the restaurants you get proper glasses!

entertainment-- this was AMAZING, Alex, Junior, scooby, allan, manny and donkey really made our day with lots of fun and games and chances too win the dominican boom boom (this is rum to me and you)

if i was to have one downside to this hotel it would more than likely be on the weekends the locals come and stay and they take over the hotel!! .. but you just say disculpeme to them or Excuse me and they move.. also there is no daytime entertainment as the locals don't like it ..but they are nice people if you get too know them and you say hello and thank you, and it is much more appreciated if you make an effort with there language they like it a lot more and are willing to help if you need anything just simple Hola or Buenos dias, and maybe a como estas (this means how are you) and Gracias is thanked with a big smile...

BIG Thank you to ... Alex, Junior, Smiler, Donkey, Manny, Scooby, Maria, Louie and the Bartender in the main lobby bar!!

i wouldn't blink an eyelid to re-book this hotel and i am hoping that Thomas cook, start flying there again soon! also a big thanks to Karen who was the TC rep at the Be Live she could have worked harder to make our holiday special and a memorable one!

Room Tip: the A/C doesn't work whilst you are out of the room, it uses motion and movement too set off the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank milesfamily123
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

First time to Puerto Plata and to Gran Ventana Resort. Very nice resort, pools, beach, very nice too. The rooms were nice and quaint, but the room had no alarm clock and very poorly stocked snack bar. Snack bar fridge was very weak did not keep beverages cold. Our room ac did not work properly luckly the room had a ceiling fan which did the job. The food lack any creativity, veggies were dull it was either carots or spinach every night, fish was poor, it was the same fillet only in different sauce each time. Entertainment at night under the pavilion was very good, Service overall was ok except for the lady in the mini store, she was down right rude and seemed bored with her job. Beside the food we liked this resort very much and would return. And while we were there we did some excursion tours and we recommend the 8-9hour safari tour well worth the money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family