Our stay at the VH Ventana in Puerta Plata was very nice. The resort itself is dated and not as polished as the other places we have stayed on the Punta Cana side. This resort has more English speaking staff (excluding the chambermaids), the food was a bit predictable but was plentiful and the best food we have had in the DR.
We took notice of how accessible this resort is for those with mobility issues and those with strollers/carriages. There are ramps into all buildings, a reserved area of the beach where resort workers aid in the transport to and from beach to the boardwalk/ramp, they use a golf cart to charter folks who require a little support getting around the resort, one area of the pool is zero entry and the bath tubs are low rise, the resort workers are very attentive and willing to assist.
The animation team were busy day and night but were never overbearing or pushy, they would announce what they were going to do and wait for people to come to them, they did not pester or pull at us to get us to get involved. The night-time entertainment was amateur (except for the magician...he was awesome!), time was made prior to each evening event for the children to dance with the animation team and they did not seem to mind that the children attended the evening shows and they were allowed to go up and stage and dance for a bit once the show was over. We did not hear any noise once back in our room other then the rain and coconuts hitting the ground during the rain (one and a half days).
The vendors on the beach were numerous! They would be overlapping each other, at any given time you could see 4 -7 in and 200 foot span. All it took was a wave of your hand to let them know you are not interested it was a bit of a deterrent to just chill on the beach, we ended up going down, going swimming and leaving to go sit around the pool.
The power went out several times a day, it would come directly back on but take a flashlight just in case.
The air conditioning required resetting (by us) several times a night, it seems to be preset for 22 with a med fan speed, so we would turn it down to 16 and set the fan on high, and before long it seemed to be back at the prior settings...maybe when the power would flick?!
This has been the friendliest resort yet! The fellow visitors (England, Sweden, Italy and Canada) and some of the staff were personable, interesting folks who we are glad to have met.
Check in was a breeze as was leaving.
You get extra beer in your fridge if you leave a few bucks in it in the morning before your room is made up.
The mountains are beautiful, they do offer excursions to the mountains (as well as other places), we did not partake.
We walked to the shopping center within the gated complex (took minutes) to get our souvenirs for those back home. Many of the shops are closed but there is enough to get a good variety without being pressured to by the store clerks. The disco Coco Bongo is in this center, as is a small pub.
As per usual the drive to and from the resort is generally entertaining.
We seen some neat wildlife, land crabs, anoles, and different birds and had a wonderfully relaxing time at the VH Ventana.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic