My husband (30) and I. (25) wanted a romantic and relaxing getaway so we visited the Ventana at the end of January, 2013. Overall, we had a wonderful vacation and we WOULD go back! It was a great spot for young couples and young families.
To be honest, it wasn't all great... But, nothing could come close to ruining our time there.
We didn't know they had a separate hotel across the parking lot far away from all the action, and that's where they put us. It has a "quiet pool" and "quiet bar" ... But, walking through the parking lot to and from the beach, pools and bars (especially at night) was not my thing. We spent one night there and asked to move the next day. In our new room we had two double beds, a flat screen (10 English channels) and a great look out at the main pool.
The service was GREAT - staff go above and beyond and deserve tips, although they don't ask for them.
The food was amazing. For this reason I'd go back again. Coming from a picky eater, I was so impressed with their meals and always found something I liked. Still, I brought lots of snacks from home for the evenings and I'm glad I did, as there is no 24 hour snack bar.
The beach... Oh the beach... My heart is still there. It was beautiful. In just a few feet you were up to your waist in turquoise blue water with nothing but sand at your feet. I was in heaven. We walked the beach often and enjoyed stopping to swim along the way. BIG THUMBS DOWN to the vendors that literally come in waves and don't leave you alone. You must learn quickly to ignore and say NO before they get too comfy blocking your sun.
The resort overall, it's clean and cozy but a bit dated. It's not polished like a 5 star in say, Mexico. It's small, so you see the same travelers and staff all the time. You won't get lost and you would have no problem walking around on your own. There is a lingering smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby because it's open concept with breeze coming through. The beds aren't comfy, and knowing that I packed our own duvet and pillow cases for added comfort. (Call me crazy!) There were several power outages the week we were there, which was odd, and they do not keep a well stocked mini bar in your room. Two beers at most, max. Also, they say massage is available but you have to go to another resort for a good quality, very expensive massage. Also, NO irons in room.
Entertainment was for the most part kind of silly. We watched a few nights but kept to ourselves and enjoyed sitting at the bars and relaxing in the lobby.
Despite the few downfalls, we had a great time and we'd go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic