VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
$224
$155
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$158
$132
  • Breakfast included
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$160
$122
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$167
$125
  • Breakfast included
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$180
$119
  • Pool
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$120
$91
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$178
$109
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham V Heavens(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
$227
$122
$111
  • Pool
$148
Hotels.com
5,871 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildinga la carte restaurantsroyal packagecarlos santanamain poolbeach vendorsocean worldswim up bardominican republicitalian restaurantparadise islandtwo weeks
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Me and my friend stayed at this hotel from the 2nd june for 2 weeks, we didnt want to leave. There were pros n cons at this hotel but overall had an amazing holiday and I'm still trying to settle back into real life. First off the room was very clean, spacious and did the trick nicely, the beds were comfy (heard some people moaning that they were hard but we obviously struck lucky). The air con worked perfectly and was a life saver in the heat. The only thing I could pin point that would be an improvement in the room would be more plug sockets (only had 2 in the corner of the room and with the adapters you could only plug in one device at the same time) and maybe more water pressure in the shower as the power wasnt amazing but still was fine.

The food was the best all inclusive ive had and always found something to eat (try the roast beef in the buffett, was lovely). The resturants were very good, LOVED the italian and if you go the the grill, TRY THE SPARE RIBS, amazing! yum...

The main pool was nice, when it wasnt overcrowded, i do agree on what others are saying about the locals, they did ruin the atmosphere somewhat as they push eachother around, jump infront of you and generally become very irritating but go the beach or the quiet pool to avoid them or even do trips at the weekend to get away from them then you should be ok. The only criticism I have about the pools was that the quiet pool on a couple of occassions was very dirty, filled with scum and we refused to get in it but it was cleaned (to an extent) when asked.

The beach was lovely, the water was crystal clear when it was calm and you could snorkel and see the fish but if not, they would swim around your belly and poke your leg, begging for food lol some are cheeky and even follow you, cute. The sand was nice and the beach was quiet (could always get a bed). The only thing would be the vendors, they do pester but tell em no and they walk on, some are nice to take too, LILLY No. 8 is one of them, very sweet girl.

The entertainment staff are nice, they do their best but defo have met better animation teams and the entertainment could be improved greatly, but you cant have it all.

If you go, go the Ocean World and do the royal swim with the dolphins, best experience of my life!!!! and go to paradise island, was beautiful there.

I would go back but not yet, I would love to go to the other side of the island or a different part of the caribbean altogher but overall it was a great holiday. Go and have fun

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tania L
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Myself and my partner have just returned from the gran ventana after a 2 week holiday. This was our third visit to this hotel. The last time we were there was 4 years ago. Arriving at the hotel we were given a fruit punch welcome drink which was nice as we never had this our previous visits. I was happy that room 1249 I requested was what I got.

Arriving in my room it looked exactly the same as it did 4 years ago. Only difference was there was a flat screen tv. Most of the channels are in Spanish. The room was not very clean. I had to clean the shelfs in the cupboard as they were so dirty covered in sand. Sack the cleaner! Throughout the stay the room was only given a very basic clean. The rooms need upgrading. The lamp shades were dirty and were badly needing replaced. The good thing is the mini bar in the room which is stocked daily with Pepsi, 7up and 2 beers which are free. On 2 occasions this had not been done. We had to go to the reception 3 times to get new room key cards as they failed to work. Very annoying.

There was building work going on between 7am - 7pm. Constantly banging, hammering and drilling down by the beach as the ocean grill is getting rebuilt. I was very disappointed with the beach. It was always a lovely beach but this time is was not. Alot of weeds from the sea lying around. What happened to the nice soft clear sandy beach? I was only at the beach twice. Constantly getting pestered with annoying vendors.

We skipped breakfast most mornings. Lunch and dinner are very repetitive. Be wary when eating meats as on alot of occasions it was undercooked. I had rice one night and was very ill for 24 hours. The waiter service is terrible. We had to get our drinks our selfs morning noon and some nights. We tried the Italian as we have been 3 times before and loved it. However this time it was disgusting. The 'tender chicken breast' that I ordered was a processed chicken burger cut in half with a rubbery hard slice of cheese. Totally different from the last time.

The hotel has fast wifi which you have to pay for. Most of the saff are very nice and friendly. Kelvin and kerion the reception staff are great and so is Enrique or reekie (still not sure what his name is) who works so hard. He is the waiter in the restaurant who always made sure we had drinks. Really nice guy.

Now the big let down which really put a damper on our holiday was the locals. They come from Friday - Sunday to stay. They take over. They're so ignorant and rude. They have about 200 screaming kids who take over the pool from 8am - 7pm. There was one night we couldn't manage to get anything from the buffet as they were all pushing in and filling their plates up high with food. It's a joke. The waiters also tend to deal with them and tend to leave us out. They're so loud and I think it's wrong that theyre allowed in to ruin people's holiday.

I would not return back to the gran ventana which is ashame as it was my favourite holiday but now it's at the bottom of my list. I would not recommend it to anyone either. The hotel has went downhill which is ashame as it was a brilliant hotel which I could not fault.

1  Thank Cheryl1987
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Good food, good service and plenty of choice at all meal times. The a la carte was a little overrated although the Italiano was very good. Avoid getting into conversation with the beach touts they will drive you into submission and you end up paying for all sorts of rubbish and novelty things and gifts i never really wanted !!!

The location was okay although the supermarket area is again full of touts...be strong not rude and tell them to politely leave you alone ! you will better advised to buy any gifts or items in the hotel market not the the one outside.

Lack of good quality entertainment in the evening and the nightclub coco bongo was empty most of the time as was the local pub. Phillip bar is welcoming to the English. I will not go back as I feel Cabarete or Sosua is a better resort for entertainment but this place is better for families and kids. Overall, I would do some more research before booking but it was a good base and a good starter for my first visit to DR.

Room Tip: Rooms near the garden are quieter but don't expect a 5 star luxury more like a 3 star basic but at least it was clean and new towels every day
2  Thank Neil E
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Travelled to this hotel as a couple June 2012. Chose this hotel thanks to the reviews on TripAdvisor. Must admit that the hotel itself is very nice and cosy, service is very slow, but the staff is friendly. Were very excited about the food, as the chief is a guy from Germany and was said to be a good one. Honestly saying we were very disappointed about the food: very poor selection of fruits and seafood... very sad notice..
As for the animation team - very low level!
The beach is fine, but gets dirty by the afternoon, and there are too many venders - very disturbing.
We have changed our room for 3 times: first it was a room with 2 separate beds, despite the fact we asked in advance for a king-size one, in the second room was an awful smell from the condition, the same trouble with the 3 room, the 4 room was ok. But everything was very clean.

1  Thank SandaBV
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were supposed to spend 10 nights in Gran Ventana but only ended up spending 1 moving to Riu Bachata for the rest of our stay. I am sure at some point it was a very nice 3 o 3 1/2 star hotel but it needs updating and staff efforts cannot cover for it. Nothing bad happened it was simply a lot of small things we didn’t like but more on that later.
By far the best feature of the hotel is the beach, clean sand, barely any corral or rocks. Unfortunately even that is somewhat tarnished by constant barrage of vendors trying to sell you everything from jewelry to trips. All are polite and most will move on as soon as you say ‘no’ others are more insistent. And they are relentless you get approached regardless of whether you just sun bathing talking or even sleeping. My wife counted in a span of 30 minutes in the morning we were approached 18 times.
Besides the beach other positive things are: friendly staff, bar right near the beach, lunch being cooked at the beach.
Now back to the issues with the hotel:
Main buffet is not air-conditioned and it is hot in there in June.
Torn blankets/covers on the beds
Rusty shower head and light switch so dirty we didn’t want to touch
They charge you for Wi-Fi - $6 an hour and for safe $20 a week. (Riu Bachata has it for free)
Refrigerator in the room barely cooled just below room temperature
Very limited food selection.
I could go on but you get the picture.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family