GV was fantastic once again but if you are planning a long weekend or 7 day visit, avoid the dates close to 1st May. It is the weekend where the resorts are all full of Dominicans. The employers pay the resorts & the lovely resort becomes totally inundated with hundreds of Dominicans. The average Dominican earns very little money & could not afford to stay at a resort so they really go overboard!!! The buffet restaurant was extremely busy & we felt very sorry for the staff who had to work extra hard & absolutely hate this time of year. Luckily, their stay did not include eating in the a la carte restaurants.
Now for the good points. We met some amazing people once again as we think of the GV as our second home. Hi to Morar & Chandrita, the young ladies from Brighton, David & his Mum, Jilly & Mike, Bernadette & her husband - all from U.K. Hi also to the lovely family from Haliburton and the couple from New York.
Once again the food was excellent and the resort very clean. GV's beach is the best in the Playa Dorada complex & is always clean. It is the only beach which is raked early in the morning. During the first week the palapas were reserved very early but the second week it was quieter (except for Labour Day weekend) & we had no problem. The staff are very friendly & work extremely hard. Maria, Dominga, Danilsa, Raol, Manny & the entertainment staff you are the greatest. We have stayed at GV very many times and for the past two years, it has been twice yearly for two weeks each time. We have met many guests who have stayed there over 20 times which should speak for itself. It is the only resort where we have returned a second time to find it just as good & that is why we will continue returning & enjoying. Yes, we have stayed at 5 star resorts which were fancier but not cleaner and certainly not the same value for money.
We were disappointed with our SunWing rep. who made some strange comments like - the kitchens in the a la cartes were the same as the buffet restaurant & that the food was the same which was total nonsense. He seemed more interested in selling his trips than actually giving out info. especially to the new guests. Too bad that we don't have Silvia, the Thomson rep. who was always friendly.
If you want an affordable sun holiday at a family orientated resort with good food, good beach location and clean rooms, the Gran Ventana is for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic