VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Average 3/5
Average 3/5
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)
5,806 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildinga la carte restaurantsroyal packagecarlos santanamain poolbeach vendorsocean worldswim up bardominican republicitalian restaurantparadise islandtwo weeks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My daughter and I "upgraded to this resort for five nights. We only stayed one night. We left and booked a room at another hotel after spending one horrible night in a moldy, mildew room with a broken refrigerator, dirty drapes.My daughter suffered an Asthma attack due to the mold and we cut our trip short by two nights. The food was a combination of hospital and dormitory style food. We only ate two meals there-. We had arrived too late in the day to may a reservation at the other food establishments.
. The cafeteria was dreary and depressing.
We had to pay for internet which only worked in the lobby and the pool area. The beach towels were damp and dingy. I ordered wine and it was served from a plastic jug. unidentifiable white wine.
We booked through Cheap Caribbean and I would absolutely never use them again. They were
not very cooperative in helping us find other lodging and they wanted to charge us more money everytime I called them. They were rude and unprofessional espcecially Theresa.

This hotel should be rated a one. I am not sure that even college students would enjoy this dump.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Millie s
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I went to the Gran Ventana with my friend and we had a fantastic time! (we are both females in our mid 20's). There were definetely more older people there than young singles but we still had a fantastic time since we were not there for the "party atmosphere", just a good time. Weather couldn't have been more perfect...
As far as the rooms go. You get what you pay for. They may need a bit of updating, however, if you don't spend much time in your room except the occasional siesta and a hot shower, then who really cares. Great water pressure, hot showers, clean sheets and clean drinking water everyday! If you did have a problem, a fix-it guy was at your door within 10 minutes and we never even asked for one!
I can't say enough about the staff at the Gran Ventana. The animation team was perfect, always keeping us laughing and hanging out with us by the pool. They work really hard to keep the spirits up and their enthusiasm is contagious. Kept us busy with bingo, crazy balls, mini golf, and random dancing. Water aerobics was a highlight with Jose! The night shows were amusing to say the least, great dancing. We especially enjoyed when we got some one-on-one lessons to learn how to merangue or salsa. All the bartenders were always friendly, cracking jokes whenever I ordered a "sex on the beach". Fell in love with all the cute ones too ;)
There is a nightclub shortly down the road from the resort that provided us with lots of fun. Great place to meet locals and have a good time. Some days they offer free rum and cokes to the resorters.
As far as excursions go, we only did one. Paradise Island. It was well worth the money, as you get some amazing sand and clear blue water, which the beach at the ventana was lacking a bit. The bus ride was a bit long but you got a good vantage point of the different countryside and puerto plata scenery. Book with the resort rather than the guys on the beach. you get a better result in the end, unless you like to go for the cheap way in.
The food was pretty good, depending where you went. I couldn't complain. The buffet had many different choices and always fresh fruit. I recomend the beach grill during the lunch hour for yummy grilled cheeses and wraps. The al-a-cartes were great as well... the octopus was especially great. The breakfast buffet had fresh omelettes and a smoothie bar, even cereal if you didn't want to experiment with breaky. Jensen, who was always chipper at 2am and his hot dog cart proved to be great for my friend who couldn't resist a good hot dog in the early morn!
The beach was great, always a light breeze to keep your from scorching under the sun. Always a sun chair for you even if it was after mid-day. The water could have been a little nicer but was still great scenery. The vendors on the beach are quite regular but a smile and a no-thank-you did just fine and they wouldn't bother you.
It was sad to go.. had a wonderful time and would defo go back. If your not overly picky then the Gran Ventana is the place to go.

Room Tip: We were in the Catalina building and it proved to be quiet at night and close to everything. The Beata building was far off from everything and not very convienent so stay away from that one.
3  Thank B V
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My job consists on traveling and this place by far has been the worst experience I ever had. My friend I picked this pick place due to the high ratings. I am not sure why anyone would give this place a good rating. For one the food was just horrible I had to take my friend to the hospital due to food poisoning. When we advise the hotel manger (Marisol) she stated what you want us to do. You’re the only one that complained after we showed her evidence from the hospital next door. Our flight arrived at 10am got to the resort at 11:15 they made us literally wait to check in exactly at 3PM to check in. The drinks were water down. At the end of the 3 day vacation we just wanted to go home we had to go out the resort to eat a good meal. Sad to say we spent $1000 each and it went down the drain.

4  Thank TheStar_84
Reviewed April 23, 2012

after reading recent reviews i was worried bout our trip to this resort
many rated the food as not good !
this is far from the truth i am a fussy eater and found something i like at every meal
now the food is differant that you will find back home but its well done and tasteful
i do tend to go to buffets when they open and then everything is fresh --- just makes sense to do this
there where 3 resturants on the property --- avoid the italian one its awful !!
the carriben one is a 6 the ocaen side one is a 9
the beach is pretty and clean
room was great !! and kept clean
now either buy a travel coffee mug or bring one in the am there is coffee pool side but a cup shortage --- easily sovlve for 10 bucks in plaza nearby
the cup can also be filled with drinks for beach later in day
i liked afternoons at a table by the beach bar nice breeze pretty view and beer and pizza nearby
nice place we would come back
dave and bon rm 1127

Room Tip: the queit pool and rooms near it a good walk from everything esle --- stay nearer to the pool area
5  Thank funfla33
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Had a great week at the Gran April 5-12. Staff, hotel, , food, room everything was amazing. The only thing I would add to this is that it would be nice to have a coffee maker and an iron in the rooms. I always like to sit on the balcony in the morning while my husband is still sleeping and have a coffee. And one day while getting ready for dinner, I was looking to iron my dress and my husband shirt could not find one, had to call guest services and they only lend them for an hour, it was not the best but it did the trick! We had the best service ever at the a la carte "El Caracol" We had mentioned that we wanted " arroz con habichuelas" and was told to come by two days later and that is what we had.... we were in heaven!! Thank you very much Franklyn!

Room Tip: I sent an email about 2 weeks prior to our flight and requested the Saona Building and that is what we got!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family