6,036 results
All reviewsocean grilloctopusquiet poolcatalina buildingvintage clubbeata buildingroyal packagea la carte restaurantscarlos santanamain poolswim up barocean worlddominican republicparadise islandsea urchinsentertainment teambuffet restaurant
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Was here July 2011
Nice public areas.
Beach clean and plenty of sun shades,
Sea very choppy and undercurrents. snorkling not easy no life guard if you get in to trouble which I did and was help by some passers by on the beach a lovely family and Tania and Chris Thank you all.
Beach vendors were not too in your face and I did get my nails done which were very pretty.
Rooms clean and made up daily. but caught in the 90's could do with updating.
Pool areas clean and nice plenty of sun beds.
day entertainment was a bit quiet and not that clear what was going on.
Night entertainment was alright but nothing great.
Dinning breakfast lunch and dinner in the main rest was nice enough. but the fruit flys yuck the were awful if they could sort this out it would be soo much more plesant.
Dinner in the alacarte excellent
Bars shut at midnight and the snack trolley has beer and rum till 2 am which made the hotel quiet.
Things to do near by, walk along the beach to the right to Elvis bar nice authentic fresh fish and cold beer.
In the shopping center we went to the english bar which was cool beer and nice chat.
Trips Go to the Monkey Jungle and Zip line it was a very good day with very nice people who care. The zip line was brilliant.
we booked that in the centre.
coffee and tea stall all day near reception.
Busy at the weekend with local people which was fine.
Nice holiday nice staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TaniaScotland
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This resort may have been something quite nice 10 years ago but it is very old and ran down now. We arrived quite late in the night and were not given the correct room, we were given a 2 double bed room, as a couple. We were told to return the next day to switch to a king room. The Italian a la carte was great, great service too. The Octopus was alright but had wonderful staff, the Ocean grill was not good, we lost power throughout our meal, and there were rats in the rafters of the roof. The buffet was alright, same stuff everyday, unfortunately there are time frames where there are no food options because everything is closed. Our air conditioner thermostat did not work, only the fan, the bathroom had mold and was very ran down. The beds were very hard and made for an uncomfortable week of sleeping. We had a very loud person in the room next to us and after several complaints to the front desk, nothing was done. The man was screaming at all hours of the night and cursing with his door wide open during the day. It wasn't until the last day of our stay that the front desk escorted him out of the room. The Thomas Cook rep was terrible and only seemed to want to make money off of us. The pool staff were alright but the games and activities could have been better. We were offered to buy drugs from one of the entertainment staff which was very annoying and disrespectful. The entire resort just seemed to stop at 11 pm, for young couples it became quite boring. This resort does not have a disco on site, you need to leave the resort and walk to Coco Bongos, where you have to pay for drinks! The pool bar was shut down for the last two days of our stay- no reason given when we asked. As well the resort lost power for over 5 hours one day and again the next evening. The resorts next to us were fully operating and lit up so we are not sure why this happened and we were never told by staff. Overall I would not go back nor recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank 2011Kate_12
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This was a great resort! Great weather, great staff, great food! I really enjoyed the mix of nationalities at this resort. Canadians (English et Francais), Americans, Russians, Germans and 80 Finns!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We take a vacation every year but always to a different place we were so impressed with this resort in every way we returned again last year. Our friends that we have recommended it to have also had the same great expereinces we have had there just a great place, clean, friendly and excellent food.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank loneeaglel
Reviewed January 4, 2012

First of all, I'd like to say that this rating is long overdue.. In preparation for our trip, I frequently checked reviews and pictures of the hotel, but once my trip was over, forgot to do my own. Not like I could forget such a wonderful experience.. hands down the best vacation I've had. My boyfriend and I traveled to the VH Gran Ventana in May of 2011 and I can honestly say there are too many wonderful things to be written here that I'll miss out on and you'll have to see for yourself. We went for a week, and upon reading the many reviews, requested a room in the Saona and got it no problem. The room were clean and well kept on with our fridges restocked daily. Nice and air conditioned, as well. The tv's were a bit dated, but we didn't spend enough time in our room to care. Same thing with the bed, we requested a queen and got two singles but we didn't complain.. still plenty of room for us in the one bed and they were reasonably comfortable. The staff at the resort were absolutely incredible. There were always plenty of things offered for you to do (games, bingo, and dance lessons by the pool, for example, as well as volleyball which we played everyday) and they try their best to get you off your feet and participate in the activities. On the beach, we did some kayaking and snorkeling for free! For, I think, $70ish per couple, we got a deal on the beach we could do jet skiing and parasailing which I thought was a great price for the two things. Unfortunately, the whole week we were staying at the resort, the winch was broke for the parasailing and we were unable to go. We kept checking back everyday but was not fixed until after we left to go home. I had been parasailing before and wanted to show my boyfriend how fun it was, but we weren't so lucky. They refunded us the money, however, so that was fine.. maybe next time!! I think that was just our luck. haha. There are plenty of things offered to do... but your trip is only what you make it, so yes, enjoy your book by the pool, but don't be afraid to get up and have some fun, too! The food was great.. This was my first trip which I didn't get sick at all during my trip so that's got to count for something, I'm sure!! It was great to have Canadian friendly items like fried chicken, pizza, nachos, french fries, etc at the Grill down by the beach for lunchtime if you weren't up for the buffet (which I admit, did get a little repetitive if you ate the same thing everyday.. haha). Our favorite A La Carte was the Italian and the Ocean Grill ..be sure to check those out. We aren't huge drinkers, but the Pina Coladas and Strawberry Daiquiris were great!! The most I drank was beer on tap, anyway. The beach is really nice, and well kept in front of the VH Gran Ventana resort compared to some of the other resorts on the same beach. The only thing I found was that the sellers on the beach were a little 'too' persistent and could take away from the relaxation side of the beach. We did make some friends with them though and found most of them to be pretty funny and nice to chat with! I bargained with a nice lady for both a mani and pedi + massages for around $45.. Can't go wrong!! We also did a day excursion on the catamaran which can be booked on the resort for around $70-75 for an entire day on a catamaran with lunch included and a visit to a number of different reefs to swim with the fish! This was our favorite! We took the underwater camera and got some awesome shots! We also got our photos taken professionally by a lady on the resort (PLEASE get these photos done! You will not regret it!) who gave us a great deal on the many photos we selected out of the hundreds she took of us.. You really can't go wrong. Overall, this trip was fantastic, breahtaking, and every other positive thing you could take from it.The 'negative' aspects that I mentioned were only minor to us and if you're going on a trip to look for things to complain about, I'm sure you will find something.. if you look and think hard, but why bother? Your trip is only what you make it and VH Gran Ventana made ours unforgettable. BOOK! BOOK! BOOK!

Room Tip: Rooms a little further away from the pool could be considered quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple