“VH Gran Ventana”

Waterloo, Canada
“VH Gran Ventana”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Dates we stayed - Feb 11-17, 2011
- Better than average at Caribbean all inclusive resorts. (We have also been to Cuba, Mexico and Jamaica – although Jamaican food was quite good also)
- Evening snacks (10-12 pm) – very poor choices and not tasty (hot dog – mystery meat, or ham n cheese sandwich)
- Beach café – quick with decent variety – pizza, hamburger, nachos, menu also available with burgers, fries, wraps, etc
- Three a la carte restaurants – (1) Octopus – Caribbean cuisine – tasty food, best of three a la cartes, small size and drab ambiance, (2) Iapore di Mare – Italian cuisine – ok but only slightly better than buffet, and (3) Ocean Grill – Meat/fish/seafood – good food and best service of any of the three restaurants, would rate 2nd out of 3 a la cartes.
Staff
- Did their jobs but did not smile much and not quick to respond or to get what you asked for.
- Bartenders were the happiest but they were regularly tipped, and if tipped well they tended to remember your order.
- The entertainment staff was also usually happy which leads me to believe they liked/enjoyed their jobs as they were happy without regular tips.
Excursions
- Did not go on any but they did offer various options.
Entertainment at the resort
- There was something each evening and it was generally entertaining. During the day there was pool tables, ping pong, bingo, aqua fit, drinking games, and on Thursdays vendors came to resort with tables of wares.
Rooms
- Clean, good size. Beds – double size (for two adults), two in the room, a bit hard but generally comfortable. I heard a king beds are available.
- There was a small fridge that was stocked daily with 2 beer and 2 pops, and a jug of water to drink or brush your teeth with.
- Lighting in the room was ok to poor, 2 small lamps at the bedside and 1 stand at the far corner of the room.
- A/C worked very well.
- Showers – hot water, good pressure
Pools
- Three in total
- 1 large in main area with a swim up bar in it, graduated slope for young/small children to walk in, volleyball in pool activities.
- 1 kids pool just aside to main pool, much smaller and predominantly used by kids.
- 1 adult/quiet pool – out the front of the hotel and up a short walk then off to the right.
- All were good pools, none heated, but warm once you are in them.
- All had a lot of loungers around them, tables and umbrellas for those who want to go out but want to stay out of the sun.
Beach
- Short walk from any room – lots of loungers to lie on.
- Sand fleas – my husband got many bites and they were very itchy.
- When it was windy at the beach sand got in your drinks if you did not have them in a sealed mug – bring a sealed mug. There are no tables on the beach, at all. Your drinks and belongings have to sit in the sand, not ideal. The wind was nice in the heat though.
- Vendors – a lot of vendors selling wares/services – by the end of the first afternoon we must have said no at least 30 times. Too many times and annoying but they are allowed to walk the beach and offer their wares to every person on the beach every day.
Car rental
- We rented a car from budget, one day, compact car. Very reasonable price, but the driving in some areas was crazy chaotic. Then we drove to Cabarete and walked through the shops. It was about 40 min away from the resort but it was a way to see a different way of the locals’ life.
Weather
- Hot, very hot and humid, use sunscreen, we saw more than one person there who thought they did not need sunscreen and were walking tomatoes for at least 2-3 days.
- Clouds almost every day by 4:30 and on, with occasional clouds throughout the day every day.
- ½ day of rain on one day and 2nd day of occasional showers.
Resort
- Clean, organized, tastefully decorated – walked outside resort at night – felt safe, no issues.
Casinos
- Plentiful if you know where to find them and in some cases have transportation to get there.
- No casino at this resort.
- Paradise resort next door – 5 minute walk. Slots, blackjack, and Texas hold’em. Small casino, with nightly tournaments (9 pm) single table with buy-ins of $1/$2, a minimum buy-in of $50. Players are a mix of locals and tourists.
- American Casino – much larger, various slots, blackjack, Texas hold’em. $1/$2, a minimum buy-in of $40, will start with 5 players, quickly fill to 10 with a waiting list. Players are a mix of locals and tourists.
- Drinks available free to players at most casinos
- Do not need to be a guest at any particular resort to play at the associated casino.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Relax_n_read

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,112)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the VH Gran Ventana. It was our first visit to the Dominican Republic and we literally picked this hotel from the photographs of it on the First Choice website. I think it is fair to say we were both very pleased with our hotel choice.
General - The hotel was a short 15 minute transfer from the airport. Check in was a painless affair and we were assigned a room in building 3 near the ‘quiet pool’ & Tiki Bar. This was much too our liking as we had been assigned a suite (a huge room) and we like being slightly away from the epicentre of the hotel. I would imagine that if you are assigned a room in building 1 or 2, whilst close to everything, it could be a little noisy in the evenings as you are close to the main pool and entertainment areas. Building 3 was a few minutes’ walk from the main reception and main pool, and a 5 minutes’ walk from the beach.
We found the whole hotel to be perfectly clean and presentably. All staff were extremely friendly and all key staff, reception, telephone operators, barmaids/barman spoke good English.
The hotel is based within a complex of hotels called ‘Playa Dorado’ (Dorado Beach) however this only really becomes apparent once you start taking a walk along the beach or if you walk to look round the other hotels. All of them seemed very much like for like. Playa Dorado also includes a small shopping area (the Plaza) which has a number of shops, chemist, cinema, pizza hut(!) and bars/ restaurants. There are also a couple of nightclubs one called ‘Coco Bongo’ and ‘The Roadhouse’. Towards the end of the holiday I found a Casino right next to the Gran Ventana although we never visited.
Food – 1 buffet restaurant and 3 bookable restaurants that you could book once, for each week of your stay (so we went to all three restaurants twice over the 2 weeks). The Ocean Grill was our favourite (both food and location wise as its set on the beach) but all the restaurants had their highlights. The buffet was particularly good as no matter how many times you visited, they always seemed to have something new to try. I particularly liked breakfast as they would custom cook you an omelette and also made you your own smoothie after you chose your fruit.
All inclusive means that ll your drinks were included and I spent the 2 weeks going through the cocktail menu. They are made with locally produced spirits but I could not complain as they were very good. Particularly favourites were the ‘Banana Mama’ (with rum) and the ‘Captain Morgan’. They also had a range of virgin cocktails and soft drinks.
The room came with a mini bar which was stocked daily with water, beer, coke and sprite.
Pools – We spent most of our first week on excursions and around the ‘quiet’ pool which fast became our pool of preference. At the main pool there is a lot happening, staff organising games and playing music, but we preferred to relax and read. Both the pools and the beach have a range of sun loungers which you can use. We never had a problem finding a set of spare loungers for us both.
Beach – Spent most of the 2nd week on the beach which we found very comfortable. Fine sand and reasonably clear water (clear enough to snorkel). We loved the large ‘umbrella huts’ which were spread across the beach. The beach vendors were a little annoying at first but once you’ve learned the art of saying ‘No’ – most either leave you alone or move along quickly.
We were luck and had 30 degree weather everyday of our stay so the beach was hot and it was good to take a dip to cool down. There were a range of activities you could pay to take part in including Jet Skiing, parasailing and Banana boating.
Entertainment – You don’t go to a hotel based on the quality of the entertainment and we only really visited a couple of the hotel night times shows. Of what we saw they seemed of good quality always with a good turnout of guest. They seemed to have children’s games/a film early evening and then some form of show around 2130hrs (be it a Michael Jackson show, live band, magic show etc).
Throughout the day staff are always looking out for guest to come and play beach volleyball or swim aerobics which was a great way of meeting other guests.
Excursions – Although really a separate section, I would strongly recommend Horse Riding, The Dominican Night trip and the Bravissimo Show at Ocean world (a through back to Vegas 30 years ago).
Overall we had an excellent trip and the hotel made up a big part of this. Would I recommend the hotel – definitely.

6 Thank DRMarch2011
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week long stay at the Gran Ventana, and we couldn't have had a better time! We are in our mid-20s, and this was both of our first time in the Dominican Republic and at an all-inclusive. Here are the highlights:

The grounds are absolutely STUNNING. The rooms really aren't that bad either. I e-mailed ahead of time asking not to be in the Baeta building (I had read on here that because it was next to the night club it got loud at night. I talked to some people while I was there though and they didn't find that to be true. It must depend on which way the room is facing), and to have a recently updated room above the 1st floor, facing the ocean. Boy did they deliver! We got a superior room (King sized bed) in the Saona building with a garden view facing the ocean, (Room 1234) and it was great!

The pools are also beautiful--we only frequented the main pool, not the quiet one. The pool bars are great. We didn't think about this but a lot of people brought thermoses to have the bartenders put their drinks in. I would advise doing this as the cups they give you are very small. I think it was good for me though because it limited my intake. :) The bartenders are great--we especially loved Luis, who works the pool bar at night, Pablo, and Felipe. I know it says tips are included, but please please please tip these guys. They do a fantastic job. We also tipped at the a la cartes and the cleaning ladies in our room. These people are working their tails off and are so appreciative when you tip.

The food is also great. The cafeteria always has a lot of variety, and we loved the a la cartes. The Ocean Grille was our favorite!!

The beach is absolutely gorgeous. The only downside is-like the other reviews stated-all of the vendors. You do get approached a lot, but after you say, "no, thank you," they leave you alone. In general, the people are very very nice. I did buy a necklace and bracelet on the beach from Pedro Martinez, and I love it! He even resized the bracelet to my wrist right there. We also bought an excursion (the Jeep Safari) on the beach from Cesar, who is great. It was way cheaper doing this. The only downside to booking on the beach is I'm not sure if you'll have trip insurance if something were to happen, whereas through a travel company you would. However, everything turned out fine with our booking through Cesar.

The Jeep Safari trip took us up through the beautiful mountains, stopping along the way to see cacao beans, how coffee is made, how cigars are made (and how they taste!), mamajuana (it's a drink!), a public school (my absolute favorite part), and 7 beautiful waterfalls which we scaled and slid down/jumped off of. This trip is not for the faint of heart. The waterfalls demand a lot of physical strength and endurance--something we were not expecting! There were younger children with our group that were not allowed to go into the waterfalls. The older ones (around 8 and 10 years old) did just fine. That said, it was very beautiful and a lot of fun. I would suggest if you know ahead of time that you're going to book this excursion, take things with you to bring for the kids at the school. I really wished I had known ahead of time because I would have wanted to bring coloring books, crayons, etc. We were both really glad we did this trip, but said after that we didn't want to do another one. It took up a whole day so after that we just wanted to stay at the resort!

The casino was kind of a bust. We went for about 20 minutes, spent $15, and went back to the resort! Also, bring lots of sunscreen--we had to buy a bottle at the hotel for $22! If you are a wine drinker, bring your own bottle (or two!). The house wine at the hotel is not very good, and wine is not cheap in the mall nearby. That's okay, though, I found other drinks to occupy myself!

Having never been to the DR or to an all-inclusive, my boyfriend and I were unbelievably impressed and happy with everything. It was not "spring break"-ish, so if that's what you're looking for, you may want to look elsewhere. We had an incredibly relaxing and wonderful time. For the amount you pay, you get so much. I recommend the Gran Ventana all the way!

2 Thank KimmyTravels22
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Just came back from a 2 week holiday and enjoyed ourselves very much. When we checked in we got a room with 2 double beds, ask to be moved to room with kingsize, which they did the next day. It was building 3, which was nicer and quietier during day, but sounds from the disco at night from about midnight to 2 am. The room was much nicer than the 1st one. The maids where nice and gave us diet pop each day as my husband was a diabetic. Only strange thing is it takes the maids about 3 trips to get room done. And they seem to have a shortage of face clothes, could only get one a day!! Was very clean resort and grounds keepers always working. Found a language barrier at times. Front desk and bell hops spoke good English, waiters and maids not so good. Beach was wonderful. Vendors sometimes annoying. Got to know a few quite well. Would recommend Raymond (59) for shirts and Pedro(72) for jewerly. Got our excusions from Ceasar, he was great and got to know him very good. We booked Paridise Island (wonderful trip, long bus ride), tour of the city (Fabio was our driver and took us to a store the locals shop at), guys went deep sea fishing ( a little disappointed). Went to Ocean world, did the Royal swim with the dolphins, was fun, but second part was more of a photo shoot so they can sell you pictures at a crazy price. If I did this again would just do the reqular swim.
Food was pretty good, really enjoyed the Ocean Grill, did that one twice and the waiters were really nice.
The nightly entertainment was so so, they do a show one night with the guys dressed up and singing, that was soooo funny.
Limited drink selection, they have lots of rum drinks, so if you love rum you'll enjoy them!!
You have to pay for Wii fi, $3 for 30 minutes and can only use it in main lobby, which was a pain when in Building 3, as you have to lug your computer there, then take it back.
I left my purse one night in the buffet and didn't realize it till later. Thought for sure all my money and credit cards would be gone. Found it at the main desk and they had made a note of everything in it and got me to check that nothing was missing, I was very impressed with their concern and security of it!!

2 Thank KathyB_55
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2011

My husband, adult daughter, and elderly parents just returned from a 2 week stay at Gran Ventana Playa Dorada on March 13. We were not disappointed. We travelled with WestJet (a wonderful company) from Ottawa with a connecting flight from Toronto. The Playa Dorada Complex is a private low-key village-like setting, consisting of a number of hotels, villas, and low rise condos complete with a golf course, mall, medi-clinic, bars, helipad, and casino. We previously stayed at two other hotels in the complex, both good and one was perhaps even better/newer than GranVentana but the overall atmosphere is superior at the GV and that is why we return.
The reception staff is terrific,and bellmen prompt and courteous. We are greated as old friends and immediately offered a drink. As return customers we (and anyone new we are travelling with - in this case, our daughter) are given gold bracelets which allow us upgrads and perks. For instance we are invited to a weekly private party attended by other repeat customers to meet the manager, head chef, and other key staff, and are treated to wonderful food and drinks, and even have a chance to win fabulous door prizes (special tours). Also a fruit basket and bottle of rum are delivered to our room as a thank you.
Rooms(Catalina Building)-these are pretty standard, nothing fancy, and we have had problems with the toilet and doors that are difficult to open and close. However, the problems were fixed within one hour of reporting. The beds are very firm (not what I like but my husband and parents love them). The maid was excellent. We were one towel short one time and it arrived within 15 minutes of reporting. The Catalina building itself is beautiful with entrances to the rooms facing an interior roofless courtyard filled with lush vegetation and birds. A security guard is present 24-7. Balconies face either a limited view of the ocean (never got one of those), poolside (very noisy-we requested a room change last year and were quickly accomodated), or the path (not picturesque but very quiet, our preference).
Food/Restaurants-Specialty Restuarant reservations are mornings only at the Beata reservation desk. To avoid disappointment make reservations ASAP as seating is limited and they are closed one day per week. I recommend you book all the restaurants at once- I usually tell them 6:30 or 7 any day and I've never had a problem. Can't comment on Octopus as we've never gone. Our son who was with us the last two years went and didn't like it. The Sapore de Mare (Italian) was just okay for me but others rave about it. I prefer the Ocean Grill-the menu is limited but excellently prepared and served. They also have capuccino and expresso. I didn't like their dessert choices so we have dessert afterwards at the main buffet. The main buffet is terrific. Some nights are better than others but there is always plenty of choice, lots of fruit and veggies. My son's girlfriend joined us last year-she's gluten-free vegan and she did not have problems eating at any of the restaurants and the staff even cooked some foods to her specifications. My favourite is Cheese Night (superb selection of cheeses from around the world) and Chocolate Dessert night (I love chocolate). At breakfast try the smoothies-the smoothie guy will make it to your specifications. I'm not a big consumer of alcohol but the drinks I had were very good especially the Passion Fruit Daquiri.
Beach/Pool - lots of lounge chairs in both areas-you need to get up early if you want a hut at the beach; however, there are plenty of shady spots if you don't. There are many vendors at the beach but they are not very aggressive and generally leave you alone if you say "no gracias." Some even stop by to take a break and chat, not even trying to sell you anything if you've already said no. One pedicure/manicure lady even remembered us from last year even though we never bought any services from her (one day last year she brought her young son to work and we gave him some juice and water to drinkand a shady spot to play in the sand when it became obvious he was becoming a bit of a handful for his mom). The pool is lovely with a swim up bar and there is a separate kiddie pool. At Beata building there is a quiet pool with bar and lounge deck.
Entertainment/"animation staff" - Now the best for last. This group of young men and women are terrific. They work very hard to keep the customers entertained with games by the pool (i.e. bowling, horseshoes, aerobics in the pool, dance lessons) and even got my daughter (who is usually quite reserved) involved in the games. In the evening the same "animation staff" dance salsa and meringue with the customers, and entertain us with dance routines and contests (sometimeswith pretty hilarious results). My husband won the Michael Jackson dance contest (whoever gets the loudest cheer wins) and believe you me he is no MJ (55, greying, and he doesn't dance but did a great job of shaking it up LOL). On a few nights we were entertained by a more professional dance troupe. There's a pretty decent majic show that we saw last two times but missed this year (we left on the same day it was scheduled). Back to the beach-there's volley ball - the animation staff organize daily games. My only complaint is that in previous years they also organized bocci ball and horse shoe tournaments (always very well attended and terrific ice breaker if you want to meet other travellers) but apparently some tourists made off with the balls and horseshoes last year and the hotel didn't bother to replace them. At the beach shack be sure to say hello to Alfonso from Jay's family from Ottawa Canada. Our adult son Jay whocame with us the last two years had made friends with Alfonso and several of the animation staff and has since corresponded with several by e-mail. Last year Elvis (not a hotel staff, but someone who sells tours further down the beach) even took our son and girlfriend out for the evening and to meet his mom and dad. Alfonso will provide you with complimentary kayaks, snorkels etc. Alfonso is a really nice person, curious about the world and eager to make a better life for his family. He's older than he looks, is married, and has two daughters 12 and 16-the 16 year old aspires to attend university in Santo Domingo.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank hill55
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I just got back from a week at the VH Gran Ventana and would highly recommend it.
The location was amazing, 15min from the airport, 5 mins from the Plaza, which included a little mall, a club "Coco Bongo" and a sports bar that played the hockey/sports games(which being from toronto, canada we loved!), and it was a 2 min walk from the beach. The Beach was so beautiful and clean. The nicest area of beach at Playa Dorada. If the beach is the reason for your vacation then you wont be disappointed here. The food wasn't the greatest, but there were lots of options, and the al e Carte "Ocean Grill" was good, I wish I had booked that every night. Our room was nice and clean, the maids were always moping and cleaning the hotel. There was a lot of security, I always felt safe and everyone was very friendly. The only downfall was that the beach had people selling jewelry etc and when you walked along the beach beyond the resort promoters from other resorts would try to get you to look at their resorts. But I would just smile and say "no thank you" and they would leave you alone. All and all I loved my vacation and cant wait to go back!

1 Thank vmns
Toronto
Reviewed March 13, 2011

My husband and I just got home from the Gran Ventana Resort and we had an awesome time!! To sum things up, this hotel was great! The food was actually pretty decent and the a la carte restaurants were good too. The food at the buffet was always steaming hot and the drinks ice cold!! The hotel rooms could use some upgrading, but they were very clean. The staff are very helpful and friendly, and always cleaning. The beach is awesome and clean, the hotel really does have the best part of the beach and there is lots of beach to walk. What really made the week great was the availability of the beach and pool loungers. There was no pressure to get out as early as possible in the morning to get a lounger. You could take your time in the morning, get to the beach or pool at 11am, and there were still many loungers to chose from. Anyways, to sum things up, this was a great hotel. It's not a luxurious hotel, but it has everything you need for a great vacation!! We will definitely return in the future!

3 Thank beachbride26