“vacation”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed here from april 12 to 26.upon reading the reviews I thought it can't be that bad.well guess what it wasn't. We arrived around lunch .check in was fast we were given our bracelet's and told to come back around 3pm,to get our room key.u
On going to our room 1821 we discovered a three quarter size bed,not going happen,we paid for a king size bed and that's what I wanted.the next day we had our new room 1714.our view was a tennis court and backside of another resort .that didn't bother me cause it was quiet at note.rooms have fridge with water and pop.bathrooms tub and shower plus condiments. Our room was kept clean and stocked daily.market 3min walk prices OK.but not much cheaper than gift shop.beach vendors selling lots of different stuff.walk down beach to orange market good prices.a way nice guy selling boats made of cow horns (opportunity) such a happy guy.really nice.buffet OK lots of selection .breakfast foods were great 7-10am.by beach Edens for snacks 12=4pm wings,etc,very good.lunch 12-2pm buffet.5-6snacks at bar by pool.plus late note snacks 11pm we never went to but I heard about it.all in all our vacation was good.would I go here again? Sure would.can't say anything about animation team or shows didn't go everynite.girls on beach braid hair,pedicures, manicures. Good prices.lots of security day@nite.weather was beautiful and hot,beach also great,if no chairs on left side of beach just go right much nicer beach and could find shade anytime.there was also three kittens onsite tjat i feed everyday.tks to hotel staff and management for making us feel at home.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lynnd153

Reviewed May 1, 2014

great fun with entertainers they spent many hours with all guest fun was had by all. Looking forward to next year with the wonderful friends we made. Entertainment department very good lots of fun they are Joel , Jonathan,aris,yocasta and the boos guachao......

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Sexymat
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have vacationed at Grand Paradise for years and was so nice to see Rafael had returned making for an amazing animation team!! It has returned to the hotel I first fell in love with 7 years ago...Joel, Jonathan, Janet, Yocasta are awesome entertainers and the bartenders Angel, Pilar and all bartenders are very attentive...love this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: We will be back!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Amluis
Reviewed May 1, 2014

My good friend and I visited this resort looking for a decent deal. We got a steal. I was impressed by the rooms. The food was average. The beach was nice. The location was appealing as it was a short drive into Sosua and Caberete.

Our check in was dissapointing as we were given a single bed between two dudes...lol It took an hour to get our rooms right.

The animation staff tried to work their magic however I often found the staff to cater to the locals far more then the visitors. Again, it's the Dominican so no harm there. The resort does let locals in so just a heads up. Don't worry, the people are friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ITL-HPN
Reviewed May 1, 2014

i just loved this place, very nice resort, clean, the food very good, the people that are working there are very friendly, nice beach also , you can walk alot.....
The only thing that i can say that is negative, is the sellers on the beach it does become a little bit annoying but they do have to work......
i do recommend this hotel for a good holiday......:-)

Room Tip: we had a superiur room those are very good......
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I enjoyed my time at this resort- the food was fine, the view at the beach was beautiful, the entertainment staff were great.. I also liked that the resort was small which helped people socialize more. However, there were a few things they could do better that would have made the trip way better.

Rooms: Our room was available when we arrived- it was a loft with two double beds and you could only see rooftops out of the window. We weren't too excited about this so customer service gave us a new room with a king sized bed right near the pool- which was great of them. However, in the new room the air conditioning did not work, one lamp was missing, and the other lamp was burnt out. When they did come to fix our air conditioning, only the fan worked.. It also took several days for them to come fix our lights even though we called 4-5 times. So rooms were a bit of a disappointment for us- mostly that it took so long to get any sort of service if something wasn't working. Also, cleanliness wasn't the best- hair from the previous person was still on the bathroom floor up until two days after we were there.

Pool: There is only one main pool at the resort- there is a smaller jacuzzi and a small kid's pool. My main complaint with the pool is that people claimed the lounge chairs with their towels early in the morning- even if they were at the buffet or at the beach. There were days where these lounge chairs were empty for several hours at a time, but no one could use them because of the towels. This was very frustrating as I liked to spend the majority of my time at the pool but there was no where to sit other than the concrete ground or on a chair from the bar. I think that the resort should make a rule about people savings chairs with towels. This is a huge reason why I would not go back to this hotel.

Buffet service: It was very hard to get a drink during meals unless you went up to the bar to get it yourself. Sometimes it was also very hard to find a table that was set.

Overall, I still had a great time because I was in the Caribbean sun, but I think this resort would do way better if they worked on a couple things.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alisa G
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel !!!! Rated full 5 stars just because of the great treatment that the staff gave me... Specially my two good friends even though i just met them which are Amauri from the animation staff and our favorite bartender jose pilar which amaze us with a cup trick.. Awsome staff deff coming back!!! Great place guys!!!

• Stayed: April 2014