“Great people good times!”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Queens, New York, United States
“Great people good times!”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I went with my girlfriend and to put it simply, our trip was made by the recreation and beverage service staff. "Donkey" was the recreational staff member that stood out, he was about as charismatic, talented, and genuine as it gets filling all activities with laughs alongside Manny. These two are a riot and their late night beach shows were an absolute blast. Robert and Angel were serving drinks all week long and made some of the best cocktails while being super friendly and engaging. I felt like I was at a home away from home. The rooms are a little small, but comfortable, and the housekeeping staff was on top of everything.

The concierge and management may be the only negative of the trip as they didn't provide much information at check in, charged $6 per half hour of wifi, and also when we had lost our pool towels, they wouldn't replenish them and said they would charge $20 per towel at checkout. However, we were able to get our hands on a couple anyway. Grand Paradise hotel doesn't exactly have state-of-the-art facilities/pool/hotel rooms, but the amazing beach location and fantastic people made it worth it.

2 Thank Tom N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed October 30, 2013

So, I just got home from a very short 7 day vacation at the Grand Paradise resort. I say short as we usually stay 10-14 days and the 7 days just went by too quickly.

This was our 6th stay at this resort, and I've said it before, WE WILL BE BACK!!!

The resort has not changed much. There is a new GM there who is looking at given the resort a new face lift, which can only be good. The grounds are well maintained and the service is always spectacular!!!

We were a little saddened that some of our favourite staff were no longer employed with the resort and the fact that we could not find out what happened to them was a little frustrating...anyhow........

The beach is beautiful, our blue shirted vendors are still hard at work. We did find them to be a little more aggressive this time around, but it is their low season so it becomes quite difficult to make money when there is no one around to sell to. Just like anyone else, you do what you have to do to support your family.

The main dining hall got a face lift while we were there, so our meals were eaten in the Edens portion of the resort. While our meals were eaten there we did notice that there was not as much as a variety of food, but then again, there wasn't much space either. Meal time was always good, there is a little bit of everything for everyone.

The main dining hall reopened on the Friday and we were happy to see that there was no more smoking in the dining hall. Some of the others were not happy about it, but just like anywhere else, you cannot smoke in restaurants. There are plenty of other places where you could enjoy your cigarettes....like EVERYWHERE!!!

The pool I have to say is in need of a face lift. I never spend much time in it, only cuz, why would I travel so far to swim in a pool like I have in my back yard? But the time I was in there I noticed that it was a little dirty and definitely needs some paint. The swim up bar is convenient and HILARIA was always happy to provide us with super friendly service.

The casino was closed and when we asked when it would reopen, we never really got a clear answer. "Maybe next month, we don't know" lol

Our rooms were very clean and well stocked. Our maid always greeted us in a very friendly way. The hotel didn't have hot water for the majority of our stay, but really, i'm not going to complain. It was kind of funny actually...interesting to see how quickly you could shower up and get out.

The excursion sellers on the beach are wonderful! We recommend GILBERTO for your excursion needs. He looks like a Dominican Chris Rock...he's very honest and good at what he does!!! Also for your Horseback riding needs, you gotta see GREGORY. These guys are good guys and will go above and beyond to ensure that all your needs are taken care of.

The locals still come in on the weekends, but they do pay just like the rest of us so they have just as much of a right to be there as we do. They come across as being pushy and perhaps a bit rude but really they are for the most part quite easy to get along with. We booked our a la cartes on the weekend evenings or went to a beautiful restaurant called "La Tarappa" where the food is amazing and inexpensive.

Anyways...we will be heading back for 2 weeks in April 2014....

Room Tip: Oceanview all the way!!! Block 14 either the second or third floor for the best views!!!
5 Thank Greg_n_Kara
København, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Our trip was excellent. we came 2 October 2013 to 15 October. Lovely rooms with sea views.
Entertainment staff and the bartender was great. Manny, Scooby, Donkey and Janet Jackson, was unique! . very glad I met them. They must have huge thank you ..! and of course all other staff. :) It was always clean and nicely everywhere and they are very accommodating. I would definitely come back and enjoy the resort again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennie A
ontario
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We were at this resort from Sept 30 to Oct 7th. There was myself and a friend. Our purpose was to just relax and enjoy. The resort was very clean, and everybody was friendly. While we were there, the resort was no where near capacity. Because of this 2 restaurants were not open. This i understand. They had entertainment each night down by the beach. The chairs were the hard plastic chairs so waiting for the entertainment to start was difficult. Entertainment did not start until 9:45, which meant you were uncomfortable in the chairs. The food was good. Always a good selection, but because the larger restaurant wasnt open the food was cold quite often. This was a problem for us. We did enjoy our visit, but unless tge larger restaurant stays open I would not return. The front lobby had beautiful lounge chairs but there was no bar or music there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Tybee Island, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Being in the hospitality industry myself I tend to be alittle more critical of places I visit and this resort was pretty good. Lots of positive and only a few suggestions of improvement. The check in was quick but lacked information for first-time visitors, nor was that information provided in the room as most resorts/hotels do. Did discover a bulletin board next to the restaurant. Huge plus was most signage around the resort was multi-langage. Rooms were a little smaller than expected but nice and after calling for housekeeping to refresh our room (response was within minutes!!) was very clean. Water has to run along time to get hot and the last 2 days we couldn't even get it warm. Food was wonderful!! My compliments to the chefs & Mario for his wonderful serving staff!! The beaches were beautiful only negative was the peddlers. The water superb! Now for the TWO BIG PLUSES!!! Resort guest entertainers. Scooby, Janet Jackson & Donkey (my dancing partner)!! I really hope the owners recognize what an amazing team they have with you!! It is apparent that not only are you there to make the guest have fun and happy but you are too!! We loved hanging with you! We thank you for making our stay the best!!! Our excursions-Paradise Island trip & the Freestyle Catamaran Sailing trip booked thru Speedy (has a table set up by the towel bar) were AWESOME!!! Highly recommend them to everybody!! Pedro & his horse & carraige ride thru the countryside gave us the true people experience and was a major part of our trip I would have hated not having. Highly recommend Pedro!! My husband and I were there celebrating our 3rd Anniversary and with another couple on their honeymoon. We met people from all over the world and no matter if we didn't speak the same language we did speak one common language of appreciation and enjoyment of all being together at such a wonderful fun & relaxing resort on such a beautiful island! Thank you our Grand Paradise family for giving us a lifetime of memories! Hope to see you on our own little paradise of Tybee Island, GA in the great USA one day to return the wonderful hospitality!! Till then keep smiling, dancing and sharing laughter with others. Randy & Denise

5 Thank Denise W
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I must say the island is beautiful. This was hubby and I first trip to DR and were excited to vacay there... until we got to the resort...

Firstly, when we arrived at the resort, there were a ton of people trying to check in, lets excuse the fact that there was no line or order to this. The bell-man assisted us to check-in with the manager but they couldn't find our reservation- the GM was nice enough to correct this and upgraded us to an ocean front room for free. Nice touch!

We were then taken to our room, which was gorgeous. But then in the bathroom I noticed some mouse droppings on the vanity/sick counter, mold in the shower and on the ceiling. I was disgusted and called downstairs to address this (I speak Spanish and hubby is PR so no language barrier there). It took all of TWO days for this to get cleaned, mind you housekeeping had cleaned the room twice and had not noticed it, or simply placed the hand towel in front of it so we would not see it. I called everyday, sometimes twice/thrice a day to housekeeping and it was never done until I personally went down to the front desk which I don't think was necessary.

There was supposedly three restaurants and we reserved for two but ended up eating at Michelangelo's twice because the others were under construction. SO why did you reserve me for the other non-existent restaurant?!

Food was good, not great and often the same thing but fruits were always fresh. The cakes were delish! Construction made lunch and snacking ridiculous as you could only eat at certain times.

Beaches are public so be prepared to have a million locals try to sell you stuff. Just say no! You can bargain for gifts/things you want by seeming uninterested or telling them they are too expensive; eventually they will come down. Compare prices to the gift shop. Got a lot of bargains by knowing what is reasonable and under-bid that price.

Pool needs work, chipping every where. Funky smell next to the bar next to the pool. The fountain by the entrance to the "club" doesn't work and still water can smell after a few days.

Very nice and polite staff. Ocean was amazing. The breeze will put you to sleep. Water and soda in room everyday.

Excursions are awesome; go with James (out by the mall)... We did the waterfalls and city tours. He also took us out on the town by the Malecon Saturday night to have drinks and chat with the locals which was good... not violent like they tell you at the resort. be warned, kids track your bracelet and try to beg for money lol... oh and one little boy was selling peanut cake (Jamaican) and gave me extras because we were tourists... Oh and the little bar by him plays sports ALL THE TIME and have events to hang out with others so that's cool.

Wouldn't go back to Playa Dorada. Would go back to DR for Punta Cana though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank pormicorazon
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

i have been to grand paradise from the 4 th to the 11th of October.i loved it I did not want to go on Friday.the resort is nice and clean, the rooms are not very big but always clean and with fresh towels.i was travelling with my husband and a couple of friends .we all enjoyed the place,the wonderfull staff at the bars and restaurants and the amazing animation team,donkey,manny,camello,scoubi,chichi and janet jackon.all of them are very good dancers,funny and agreable people,the resort was very quiet in the week because it is low season,but the activities where the same we had 2 employees to do the aquafitness for 2 guests,other guests add the chance to play table tennis with one of the animators.we were entertained all day.at night we add dance shows,contests,the magnificent magician chris antony,and karaoke.i liked this resort.i soon will be back.
what I did not like:people smoking in the restaurants,lukewarm food in the edens restaurant,the ever present vendors on the beach.and the trip with did called the runners,the only good thing of that trip is the lunch,otherwise it is an overpriced cattle truck drive..
when I go back I will stay longer.thanks for the good times.hello to ruth.isidro,rafael,in the restaurant,and the animation team.

Room Tip: room on the tennis court are quiet, no elevator anywhere for upper floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lispak
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear lispak,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments.

Thank you so much for you review, It's important for us to know your opinion, be sure we have already taken action with the smoking area, from now on, nobody is allow to smoke inside the restaurant.

Your recommendations allow us to improve our service everyday. Our best satisfaction is to know that our crew were one of the reason why you enjoy your vacation, we will congratulate them for their excellent job.

Best regards