“Entertainment staff are great . Food is terrible .”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Scooby donkey manny are the best entertainers I have seen at a hotel..... they are funny friendly good dancers . The food is terrible a lived on rice and carrots for 1 week and went to coco bongos for food for the second week of my stay . A got put off food that's how bad it is . Rooms where spotless everyday . Hotel grounds where well kept . Restaurant staff and bar staff where great .

2  Thank Baba1867
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Baba1867,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments.

It's a pleasure for us that you took some of your valuable time to post your review. We thank you for your observation regarding the food, be sure that we have already transferred the message to all departments involved. We will congratulate Donkey, Scooby & Manny for their great performance.

Best regards from all of us.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,286)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The beach is amazing , probably one of the best in puerto plata , the beaches of other resorts aren't as nice but I was really impressed . The staff was amazing , they made sure we felt very welcomed , specially Donkey , Scooby and Janet .

All the staff at the bars were very friendly as well , everyone always smiling and very approachable.

The food was decent , could do better on the food and a 24 hour snack bar would be very appreciated it

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank JoseR06

Dear JoseR06,

It's a pleasure to know that enjoyed our facilities and the entertainment of our team, we're more than glad that you posted your experience.

We will congratulate Donkey, Scooby & Janet Jackson.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed here the last week of August with 7 of my other friends. We all had a great time and very memorable experience! The beach is clean, and the water is phenomenal. The pool is also a lot of fun and the swim up bar is in the shade, which is perfect. The entertainment at the hotel (Donkey, Scooby, Janet Jackson, etc) are so much fun! They kept my friends and myself entertained, no matter the time of day. Aqua fitness, magic shows, karaoke... so much to do - also, the disco is a lot of fun for those who are looking to party.

The food at the hotel is really nothing to complain about - in fact, its pretty good for down south standards. I have been to Cuba and the food was a disaster. Here, you have quite enough variety. Also, the staff at the restaurant are always happy to help.

The hotel rooms are clean, and I would advice those who are going to stay here that they request a room on the 3 or 4th floor, as these rooms are the nicest. A few of my friends stayed down on the first floor and the rooms were clean but not as nice as those up higher. *Keep in mind if you want a safe, it is approximately $20 USD for a week .

Also, just want to mention that there are locals that come up on the weekend, but they are very friendly. There was no issues with the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms up on the 3rd or 4th floor are nicest.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Irena S

Dear Irena S,

We're thankful for your kind comments about your stay. It's a pleasure to know that you've had a delightful stay with our crew & facilities. It will our pleasure to congratulate Donkey, Scobby & Janet Jackson for their great performance.

We all hope to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We traveled here for the week of September 6th to the 13th. The beach was beautiful and you could walk for an hour in each direction. The room was clean and well maintained daily by the maid service. I have heard complaints about the food but honestly I was fully satisfied. The food was varied on a daily basis and nothing was lacking for a 3.5 star resort.It is true that entertainment is amateurish at best but you have to make your own fun. We booked a taxi in front of the hotel and took a 2 hour tour of Puerto Plata for $30 US which was interesting. All in all a great trip for the price. Keep in mind this is not a 5 star resort but they deliver what should be expected from 3.5 star.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms nearest pool, too noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 750paulc
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear 750paulc,

It's a pleasure that you've took some of your valuable time to write your experience. We thank you for your kind words and for chosen us, as destination for your appreciate vacations.

We hope to welcome back in the nearest future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I just got back from my trip to this hotel and at first it was really a 3.5 star, but because of the view of the beach and mountain, it was a paradise... That is until I ate from the buffet....

I have been all over the world and this is the first time that I ever got sick from the food. And I'm not picky... It was the worst tasting poison that I've ever put in my mouth. I would rather have eaten a fried turd. Prolly wouldn't have gotten as sick as I did. The only thing I was able to stomach was fruit, eggs and bread for the rest of the trip. Coco bongo was actually my saviour. It was a less than 5 min walk from the resort and it was cheep and actually tasty if you didn't get anything with cheese....

What can I say?... Maybe it's because it was slow season, since we (3 chicks between the ages of 21-31) went sept 2-9, but as charming as the animation crew could be when they were at their best... I just don't feel as though they did enough to keep the guests engaged. Not much activities going on during the day, and nothing great at night. I found the best show to be on Sunday.. It was funny, but cheesy and a little prejudiced. The dancers in the shows were quite amature and they don't really even have a stage to perform on.. Costumes were alright but truthfully, really lacking.

Donkey, Manny and Scooby were very charming.. But again, I think they could have done more to bring more people together... I felt like I was working harder to get people together to do fun activities.. But again, maybe that's cuz it's slow season.

The bar tenders are amazing!! Jose is so funny and always smiling and can really throw your drink around... Just ask him to show you his flaring tricks and Elvis is such a sweetheart and too, is always happy to see you! Both make a killer Banana Mama!!

Eduardo is the best waiter at the buffet!! Day or night! He is always smiling, singing, joking around and just really making an effort to make you smile. He's got a great smile too gals!!! ;p. His section is right by the beach bar facing the Beach..

Please don't buy your excursions from the hotel... It's a rip off... Go directly in front of the buffet on the beach and look for Sandra and Gilbert. They have white t shirts on and they offer the same exact excursions for way cheaper.. Plus you might as well help out the local Dominicans. Why pad the pockets of some fat rich hotel owner, when you can get a better price, better tour guide and better deal, all while contributing to the local people of the Dominican Republic??
We went on the waterfalls tour and paid a fraction of what they were asking at the hotel? Plus had rum and the best meal I had all week.. What an experience! ( I would recommend bringing some candy or dollar store stuff to give to the children while tour off the resort because it is a little heart breaking.)

It is safe and yes the hotel will tell you not to trust the beach excursion sales guys, but YES you CAN trust them. They became our friends and honestly looked out for us more than the hotel staff. We would leave our cameras and money with them when we went to swim and guess what... Nothing was ever even remotely missing.

Hook em up with a glass of water when u can, and after your trip, leave the things you don't need for them. Again, the hotel staff get stuff all the time, they're loaded. The people working on the beach don't have much and work very hard to make very little.

Girls, get your hair braided by Selena... She's number 78 in the beach.. You can ask Sandra or Gilbert to call her over... She will give you a good price, and she's just amazing.

Get your personalized bracelet from Rafi, number 69.. He's a real cutie and is not pushy at all, just again get Sandra or Gilbert to call him for u if he's not hanging around at the time.

The beach vendors can be a little overwhelming, but all u have to say is "no" instead of "maybe later or tomorrow", and they won't bug you. It's not like the same guy is on you, hustling all day, there's different people. They're just trying to make a living to provide for their families.. So chill, smile and say "good luck, but no!"

Bargain for everything. You can get anything from the vendors at approx half price than what they are asking..

All in all the trip was great thanks to Sandra, Gilbert, Eduardo, Elvis and Jose. But for the first time I'm glad to be home after vacation.

4  Thank Barbie G
Reviewed September 10, 2013

1  Thank Babbzyboo
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Babbzyboo,

We want to express our gratitude for choosing GPPD for your vacation. On the other hand we lament that your stay was not satisfactory as you expected. We are committed to offer the best in customer service and we regret when we are not able to get that goal. Be sure that your comments were already transferred to all departments in charge. Yours observations and recommendations as from another guest are the one that allow us to improve.

We appreciate that you recognize the hard work from our employee, we will congratulate Donkey, Manny, Scooby, Jose Pilar, Elvis Arias & Eduardo Bravo for their great performance.

We truly appreciate your comments and your time for posting your experience.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We went to this resort with not high expectations and we were pleasantly surprised. We had read all the previous reviews so we knew that is a little long in the tooth and that it gets busy on weekends because the local populace will fill empty rooms - so we expected that. What we were happy about was how nice the staff were - they are very friendly and not imposing. They remembered what each of us in our party liked to drink and made sure we were happy. The recreation staff were funny and friendly. The rooms were clean and the food was tasty - it got a little boring towards the end of the week, but there was always lots of food and a good selection. The beach was beautiful and even the beach vendors didn't annoy us - they were easily turned away with a "No, Gracias".

Room Tip: We paid for an upgrade to a ocean view room and we were pleased with the view - it was a nice quiet...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Myadran

Dear Myadran,

We are thankful for your sharing your comments regarding your stay in our property. It is pleasant to know that you have had a delightful stay and we've exceeded yours expectations.

We look forward your next vacations at GPPD.