“Entertainment was amazing.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Pontypridd, Wales, United Kingdom
“Entertainment was amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Ive recently stayed at this hotel.......It was soooo amazing. THE ENTERTAINMENT TEAM (MANNY) & (DONKEY) Soooo funny. Worked very hard to keep everyone entertained. They both made my holiday. Because of them i will be booking this hotel again for next year. Best time of my life. Miss you all guys :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ellie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am a frequent offender at Playa Dorada and loved my stay at Grand Paradise. The entertainment team was extremely engaging - especially Donkey and Manny!!! Their jobs are nearly impossible during the slow season but they always went above and beyond with daily games and other activities.

Rooms were clean and have been renovated with modern touches. Food was well presented and provided a variety.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room with an ocean view. If you ask when booking you often pay more, however mos...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Laura A
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

From the time we arrived the staff made our stay enjoyable and comforting. The food was quite good, with a decent variety of food thru the week. We found the entertainment and supporting staff particularly good. Senior Donkey maid us feel at home and maid sure everyone was having fun. Thanks Donkey. We will be going back. Met lots of friendly people, both Dominicans and tourists. Always felt safe. Location is very good. We have done our share of travelling and can easily say it was our best holiday ever. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Dorian D
Stayner, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Recently stayed for 1 week. It was a beautiful resort. Staff is second to none. We were treated like royalty. Rooms were very clean. Manny, Rafeal and Chi Chi were 3 of the nicest people I have ever met. They went out of their way to see that our stay was comfortable and that we didnt want for anything. Cant wait to go back and visit all of the wonderful people I met there. The beach was the most beautiful I have ever seen.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kim M
Santiago, República Dominicana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went for a couple of days with the family. The rooms were the best of it. They're renewed with LCD Tv and new furniture, and super clean also. The food is ok and drinks are in the down side. But for spending in my case US$60 per person/night i think it was a good deal!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PEDROJOELDIAZ
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Let me start off by thanking the entertainment team - DONKEY, MANNY, CHISPA, CHERRY (and a few more, can't remember their names) without these people our trip would have been completely boring! Even though the resort was dead (we were there during low season) the entertainment team always had us involved with daily activities. These guys really work their butts off!

Room: Our room was clean, pretty up to date. A few ants in the bathroom, but nothing to complain about. We got 2 bottles of water plus 1 pop a day (near the end of the week our housekeeping attendant gave us a few more pop) disappointed there was NO beer in the fridge. If you want beer for your room, your best bet is to walk to the plaza close by and purchase some.

Beach/excursions: The beach area was a little small, but nice. Be prepared to be approached constantly by vendors and people wanting you to book tours with them. At first I thought they were part of the hotel, but they are not! my opinion if your planning to do an excursion book with your hotel rep or with Speedy (by the kids pool) he's very helpful and kind.

Food: I was really disappointed of the buffet. Not much of a selection compared to past resorts I've been to. My family got sick from the food! though I was fine (I was very careful on what I ate and limited myself) I would recommend staying away from the burgers at the "snack bar" as they're sitting in water for long periods of time (yuck) a lot of people we talked to through out our stay had also became ill...so be careful. I would also stay away from the water unless its bottled! Was not impressed with the Italian a la carte, the food was just blah for my liking but the Grill a la carte wasn't so bad (I had the pork chops and they were pretty good)

Low season weekends: During low season a lot of locals come to stay on the weekends. Didn't bother us one bit, the place became more live. We were advised to keep our beach towels close to us on the weekends so locals wouldn't take them. The lady who was giving out the towels was great and always had a smile on her face :)

Bars/Bartenders: Since it was low season, we didn't have any trouble waiting for drinks at the bar. The bartenders were really friendly, my fav was RAFAEL, he was quick and never let us go thirsty! there was also another young gentlemen who served us a lot at the swim up bar (can't remember his name either) but he was awesome too!

I can't comment too much about the lobby staff as we never needed them. But check in was pretty fast, staff was friendly. Didn't have any problem there at all. The concierge guys are great, hard working and friendly as well.

Over all our stay was pretty good, Probably wouldn't go back to this resort because of the food. We did meet some awesome people that i'm sadly going to miss. (Donkey, Manny and Chispa xo)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 416lady
Janett J, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear 416lady,

On behalf of Grand Paradise Playa Dorada, we sincerely appreciate your comments.

We are truly thankful for your review and for letting us know about your experience, we feel sad because we could not please your total satisfaction but we thank you for your kind remarks. We will congratulate Donkey, Manny & Chispa for their great job.

Yours sincerely
Wellesley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I returned home on Monday after a 7 day stay at the Grand Paradise. We both felt it was a great experience/resort for the money we paid but also agreed there were some things that could have made the stay better.

We should have realized it was "off" season, which resulted in the on site Casino and 1 of the only 2 A La Cartes to be closed down. This was a little disappointing since the website said nothing about this. On a positive note the staff were great and offered to take us to the local Casino on a nightly basis... The views were amazing and we received a free upgrade to a Ocean View Suite from our Ocean View Superior Room when we let the front desk know an ant party had taken place in our bathroom sink the night before. (Literally 500+ ants) We were really happy with how quickly they resolved the issue for us, and at no additional charge.

The Food. There were good things included in the Buffet and things we didnt care for. Like any Buffet you stick with the things you have tried and like and steer clear of the things you don't. It would have been nice to have another food option other then the A La Cartes since we only were able to book twice during the trip. When we did go the Italian night wasn't too good. The couple we went with and my husband and I ended up getting sick and learned another couple did to. The Grill night was definitely better, I would suggest booking that over the Italian!

The best part of the trip was the staff at the resort. They definitely make it their main goal to ensure the guests are having a good time, and are well taken care of. Donkey and Manny were hilarious and made our trip. They got us up and dancing, were fantastic on the microphone for pumping up the guests, climbed coconut trees for us to try coconut milk, played basketball with us, ate with us... it was great and made the trip memorable. The bartenders were great as well, especially the tall guy who works the bar near the pool. We never waited for drinks, even when the locals came in on the weekend and took the place over.

The worst part of the trip was the stomach issues and the fact everyone we spoke with had them as well. We later heard the resort had issues with water contamination although the resort never mentioned that to us. Many mornings, afternoons and evenings were spent in the bathroom. For this reason the plane ride home was also pretty brutal and the first time the seat belt sign went off everyone from our resort was up in line for the bathroom pretty quickly. We found out at the airport many people who stayed at out hotel were also sick, we just hadn't seen them throughout the week to realize. We don't know if it was the food but something was definitely up. My husband still isn't feeling right and we've been home 4 days.

Throughout our stay we know of 2 couples who left the resort, one to go home and one to another hotel. I don't think this resort is 5+ stars or a "party zone" but the website never made it seem like it was so we were fine with what was there. As mentioned previously for the price we paid, it was a good deal overall. If I could change one thing it would be more bars, and to have felt better throughout the week. Definitely do a day excursion, we did the Rum Tour and Cable Car and it was great time!

Thanks again to the staff, like I said we thought you were awesome! And to Cheeks- I will not miss the views.lol...

-Ginger and Canada

Room Tip: Superior Ocean Room Suite or Garden View Suite- double the space! Get on the second floor, less nois...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krista-M2013
Dear Krista-M2013,

We're thankful you for yours comments regarding your stay in our property. We feel sorry that we could not fill all your expectations as you wanted. Please know that we are taking care about the remarks you made. At the same time we would like to inform you that our hotel is audited every month for quality control to prevent any infection o issues. Our water is 100% decontaminated and certified by the Ministry of Public Health and Quality Control department, based in your information, we did not received any medical report from you or any other customer.

We will congratulate Donkey & Manny for their outstanding job and performance.

We apologize if it some point we didn't fill all your expectations. We hope to welcome back in the nearest future.

Best regards.