“a change in review from previously”

Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“a change in review from previously”
Reviewed October 24, 2003

I have previously submitted a review on this hotel but think in all fairness to you out there reading these reviews, that I should change my submission. We just returned (Oct 19th,2003) from my 5th stay at Paradise Beach Club and Casino. I had read that alot of reviewers were encountering "locals" on the weekends, something I've never seen in prior years. That all changed this time down, as the "locals" came in on Saturday in droves and literally took the place over. All of a sudden, we as paying guests of the hotel became 2nd class citizens because the Dominicans went to the head of the line. I believe the hotel has started this practice to try and recoup some of the lost revenue from the recent downturn in tourism. Almost like biting the hand that feeds them. Other than that, the week was fine. Next time though, I think I'm looking at one of the RIU properties in the Puerto Plata area. My daughter was married in August at a RIU hotel in Punta Cana and believe me, these guys know how to take care of their guests.
I guess the price is right for a budget holiday at Paradise, but like everything else in life............BUYER BEWARE.

• Stayed October 2003
1 Thank Mark H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New York
Reviewed October 22, 2003

We had booked 5 nights at this hotel. The moment we arrived we were depressed. Our room was depressing; however it did overlook the beach.
The swimming pool was depressing and even the hotel is located on the worst part of the beach which is quite beautiful and runs for miles.

Fortunately, we were not on a package. We left the next morning and were really happy. The front desk were very polite and gave us no problems. We rented a taxi and went to Samana about 2 hours away, which was very nice.

If you want to go to Puerto Plata I suggest you look for other hotels.
Sosua nearby is also a cute little resort. Not our taste this place.

1 Thank semsem

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Reviewed September 18, 2003

I just got back from staying at Paradise (9/12-9/15). I had a great time. My boyfriend who lives in DR, choose this resort for us. I was impressed!!! The hotel was very nice, clean and the food was great. The staff is very friendly and trust worthy. My boyfriend and I went out and I forgot my purse in the room with A LOT of cash, US and Dominican money and when we returned nothing was touched. The pool and beach are great. Its a great place to get away to with your significant other. I can't wait to go back in July 2004. I recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to have a good time. Go and experience it yourself. Best of all...not that expensive.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Valley Stream, NY
Reviewed August 25, 2003

My boyfried and I thought this would be our dream vacation since we really had not been on a real vacation in a while. At the advice of some friends and co-workers who had been to "Paradise" we took their advice and said "Lets' Go". Please keep in mind that these friends/co-workers were Dominican themselves. And the nightmare begins....the room was damp and mildew. It was more like a basement environement. The bed spread and curtins had not been updated since 1970 and there was dim lighting. The sheets on the bed were old and dingly. We both became very sick when we entered the bathroom. It had one very dim light and the tub had so much rust in it. You had to run the hot water at least 10 minutes before youd could take a shower and flush the toilet at least three times after each use. The bath tub looked as though it hadn't been washed in 3 months to say the least. It gets better....The same food was served everyday and stray cats and dogs were freely walking around in the dining area begging for food.
Nobody on the Staff seemed a bit concerned that pregnat cats were begging for food. We witnessed a cat that had jumped up on a table and ate some tuna salad that was left uncovered in the Eden Snack area.
Another turn off was that every day, you had a large amount of locals that showed up to use the pool and the beach. I even asked one of them were they staying at Paradise, and the answer was "no my friend, we live here and we come here all the time". I could have stayed home in NYC and went to Orchard Beach and would have been in the same environment. We had to beg on several ocassions for bath towels and face cloths. If you have money to throw away, then visit Paradise. I would not recommend anyone wasting their time going to Paradise Beach Club.

PS. The so called "kitchen" was a joke. It was dirty and old. Also if you like eating "SPAM", then you'll love breakfast at Paradise.....it's served everyday. If this resort was in the U.S., it would have been closed a long time ago by the Department of Health Department. !!

5 Thank luvumostest
Reviewed August 24, 2003

I concur with the woman from Canada. I have been going to Paradise with my family since 1988 and their service is excellent. They are out to please every guest and will go the extra mile to do so. I have been a repeated guest six times at the resort and will continue going there. I have stayed at various hotels throughout the island from the southern tip to the northern side and this one outweighs them all in terms of quality of food and service!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2003

i was in puerto plata from aug8-aug17 '03 and i stayed at the all-inclusive paradise beach...now i did go down with a group of 6 girls we all had some fun and something to do...lets start off with rooms...they were nice, kind of a mildew like scent but very tolerable.
the front desk..hmm what should i say...we had pre-requested that all 3 of our rooms be on the same floor or at least next to each other, what we had were 3 rooms all in different buildings but we survived that part...the "proteco" was great..i felt very safe until one night when a man was banging on my door screaming, you would think that the security would come over to my door and question the man what he is doing at 4am, keep in mind security was about 25 ft away. after that whole fiasco the hotel was great about having security stand outside our door for the rest of the trip...room service was decent there were days where we had to wait till the late afternoon for our room towels but thats to be expected with a huge hotel, obviously demand outran the supply... now to the food..it was edible, not great i found myself eating bread with butter for breakfast and maybe a salad for lunch bc the food didnt look too tempting, by day 3 i was sick of seeing rice and beans at every meal! but there was a guge variety of other choices..the restaurants were ehh..michaelangelos was pretty good although i felt that they served the same thing at the buffet.
entertainment was great the night shows were fun, had a good time relaxing to them..chocolate was a riot, water aerobics is a must with him. the pool was a bit crowded esp on the weekends, i wasnt aware of this thing called "dominican weekend" thats when all the locals come to stay at the hotel and make it unpleasurable..the kids least to say have no respect for anyone jumping and splashing throwing plastic cups around in the pool out of the pool, getting chlorinate pool water in my pina colada wasnt exactly my cup of tea. also these kids grab anything without asking, ex my beach ball was in the water when i woke up from sunbathing...seems like this children either need to get some manners, or be placed on leashes. okie thats for that the beach...well its nice..not like white sand crystal clear blue water...pretty too look at, there are some parts where its impossible to walk bc of all the rocks on the floor u hurt ur feet very badly trying to get in2 the deep end to swim. for crystal clear water go to paradise island its like a 2.5 hour bus trip but worth it for the snorkeling..oh by the way if they say its 1:20 mins away dont believe the travel organizers..the people were very friendly, i had fun at the casino, the crazy moon was fun, the shopping plaza was good go to hemingways when u want some imported alcohol, and a good ol' american size burger...but all in all the trip was fun, i did have some compliants, i hope this helps anyone...i wish someone wrote me a detailed description..if someone asked me if i would go back again i would have to say no...next time someplace else...oh and make sure u do the waterfall tour that was the best and most amazing experience of this trip! hope you enjoy ur stay...hotel overall not bad but could be better!

• Stayed January 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2003

We stayed at the Paradise Beach Resort from 9/07/03 to 28/07/03. This was the best holiday we have ever been on. The hotel is very nice and we had a superior room on the 3rd floor which was a good size and very clean. We never had a balcony but it didn't bother us as we were never in. The entertainment at night was really good and we made some good friends while there. The guys from kikos team especially Chocolate, Yonathon and Julio really made the holiday 100 times better. They always had us up on stage dancing the merengue or doing some crazy games during the day. The hotel has one of the best locations of Playa Dorada. It sits on the beach and the view is magnificent. The Buffet restaurant in the hotel was okay but we ate out for dinner a lot as we didn't like a lot of the food that was on offer. Both a la carte restaurants are really nice and so is the snack bar. We went on a few trips the Monster Truck Safari which was really good(beware you will come back very drunk) , Paradise Island and Swimming with Dolphins. The Dolphin trip was amazing. We also went out on the jet skis a couple of times which was a good laugh. Anyone staying at this hotel will have a good time and if you don't then you must be very boring. HI to all the Kikos team!!! Oohwee Oowaa - 50-50