“Locals”

Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Kitchener, Canada
“Locals”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed here a year ago and are now looking to go away again so I thought I would check out the reviews and see if anything had changed. Apparently not much.

I have to admit that we found the locals showing up on the weekend really did lesson our experience. They were everywhere and took over everything.

While we participated in the games all week and won nothing, the weekend came and it was the locals participaing and they were winning bottles of rum.

I must say though that the entertainment staff were all very accomodating and we had a lot of fund with them during the week.

Sure the food is nothing spectacular, but there was always something to eat and although the basics never changed there was something different everynight.

Our biggest problem during the whole week was with the Nolitour Rep. Believe me when I say that if you have a problem they will not help you. You are entirely on your own.

Not a terrible place, not a wonderful place, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask that you are not in the attic. Although we were told it was an ocean view you lit...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank 10KAT10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Paradise Playa Dorada and enjoyed it very much! The two particular bar staff made it well worth it for me to stay. Their names are Jose Pilar and Henry Ventura, they were absolutely helpful and suggested a drink to tame my upset stomach and the drink worked!!! Thanks so much guys for making this trip worth while for me. I am definitely going back!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynda R
long island, new york
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have been several times in the grand paradise resort, with the attention of manager Roberto Ramos, has made me feel better than at home, excellent food, including drinks, entertainment all day, very good beaches, good price the package , I recommend everyone visit.

Room Tip: I likes the room in from of the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank reyesdhdez
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Paradise, Playa Dorada twice now and being disabled myself, found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The bar staff were great, the restaurant staff were great, and the animation team fantastic, one name stands out above all others and that is BON BON, she was always willing to put herself out to help me and always had time for a chat

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 811Glyn_M_12
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having stayed at this hotel a few times,i have always enjoyed the experience good service and nice rooms.One of the bar staff Jose Pilar cant do enough to be of service and help in my view a number 1 assisstant in every way.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kevaud
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having visited Playa Dorada over the last 10 years and staying in at least 6 different hotels we decided to try the Grand Paradise. We had an idea what this hotel was like as we had walked through the grounds and past it on the beach but we were totally unprepared for what basically amounted to a swarm of starving locusts descending upon us at weekends in the shape of dominican guests, please take note of this comment as beleive me this is no exageration ( all negative previous comments are correct about this hotel). To make matters worse for full paying guests the bar reaturants and entertainment staff blatantly and unashamedly give priority to the dominican guests and treat all other nationalities with total contempt. When the weekends are over the staff try to turn on the charm as they want tips.There is no comfort seating anywhere at night all chairs are plastic thats if you can find any available.
The room however was kept spotlessly clean and we had fantastic weather the the 14 days we were there, the veiws from the beach resturant are second to none but as this is the main and only eating place it is definitely not ideal expecially of a night when your getting eaten alive by bugs. For these reasons we have rated this as a 3 star,we would however revisit Playa Dorada again if the deal was right but never to this hotel at any price.
Hello to John and Irene from Wallasey and Barry and Debbie from Canada hope you got home safely all the best Mike and Lynne .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank lynnemike
Wasaga Beach, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our first bad experience was when we ordered a cocktail at the beach bar. The drinks were thrown together with such lack of care that it was difficult to tell one from the other. Most didn’t even contain alcohol. We were told that the 2 a la carte restaurants were closed for the week because there weren’t enough people registered to warrant their opening. Most of the activities were also cancelled for the same reason. When I asked the customer service rep to have my all inclusive fees reduced, I was told that wouldn’t happen. They had that right to open and close as they wish and it was RCI’s responsibility to communicate these changes to me.
The one remaining restaurant that was open was the beach buffet that offered the same food every day. Many people that we met were or had been sick from the food including ourselves. The weekends were over run by local folks that were allowed to stay at the resort for only a few dollars per day. That meant that the other “paying” tourists were paying an exuberant amount of money for the same facilities. The locals turned the resort into an animal house. The pool had food and cups floating and turning it into a disgusting milky color. Children were running unsupervised around the pool deck. The buffet restaurant was left filthy and people stuffed excess food into personal bags. I have never seen such pandemonium and unsanitary conditions as this. I will never return. I strongly suggest that you look for another resort that is not in such a bad state of decline.
Barry and Debbie (Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple