“Love, love, love”

Puerto Plata Beach Resort
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This place was amazing! Mind you it's not one of the newer resorts, but there is a grandeur here that you only find in a more established place. We were here 6 years ago and the place was kind of run down but the price was right. We decided to return this year and boy are we glad we did!! There is a new owner and the renovations are everywhere. New restaurant, bar, gym etc. and the staff is so nice. They really go out of their way to make sure you are happy. My kids also had a great time. The concierge organized tours for us that we also enjoyed. Its the kind of place you want to keep coming back to- low key, safe, and easy on the budget. Just what we were looking for!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joyce S

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had an amazing experience and I'm already planning to return in October! My suite was beautiful, two large rooms, vaulted ceilings and nice patio. Huge clean pool with a poolside bar. The staff when above & beyond to accommodate my needs. I felt very safe and welcome here. I spent a lot of time at the Kite Bar which is directly across the street. The GM of Puerto Plata Beach Club even hosted a BBQ at the Kite Bar one night during my stay! I've made some life long friends and I can't wait to return in October!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Brandi M
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I have been renting an apartment at the complex for more than a month and overall am extremely satisfied. The price is very reasonable and the location is wonderful on the malecon across the road from the kite boarding beach where there is often a good breeze. I like to swim laps and the complex has a very large pool which is hard to find in the DR, so that is a huge plus for me. Yes, sometimes a bit of water drips in through the roof in heavy rain (my apartment is in the roof), sometimes the cable TV has a few glitches, the the wi-fi is spotty, but I have my own prepaid Internet from Claro which works very well, so that is probably the way to go if you need a reliable Internet connection for business or whatever. For a couple of weeks there was no hot water, but that seems to be fixed now and it is often scalding, so you have to be careful of that. Staff are very helpful and friendly, though don't always have great memories. Hey, this is the Dominican Republic and you have to compare like with like. If I could find a better place in the area to rent an apartment within the same price range, then I would move, but I don't know of one. I have certainly seen plenty of places a lot worse. If you could find an apartment in the US in a location of similar quality, it would cost the earth.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank DRtraveler M
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This place is not up to European standards. There are infrastructure problems everywhere.
Raw sewerage can be smelled at poolside. There is water leaking from our ceiling in the bathroom. Water is leaking under the kitchen sink and under the wash basin in the bathroom.There are lots of tiny mosquitos that leave nasty bites. The WI-FI doesn't work inside the apartment so I have to step onto the balcony to get a signal. The TV cable has worked about half the time we are here. Lots of empty promises are offered and there are lots of unhappy renters here. This place is not ready for prime time.
EK

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Edward K
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The place is under new ownership, the owner is non- caring and just after your money. We were robbed, and friends of ours from Niagara Falls Canada were also robbed a few days later. In my room they broke in the door, when we were at the beach, our friends, they came through the bath room window. When our friends from N F approached the owner, he told us to go somewhere else in very foul language. They are trying to fix the place up, and are certainly charging you a expensive room rate. They are planning to sell of the condos, so they certainly don't want to hear your complaints I have been traveling to Puerto Plata for 10 years now with my wife, we will never stay in that resort again. Heed my warning or find out for yourself.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank MIKEC57
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel is under complete renovation which causes a few small disturbances. Our suite was clean, freshly painted with new ceiling fans and the air conditioner worked well.

The pool is amazing and beautiful. The hotel reception staff spoke and understood english.

The hotel is within walking distance of a major shopping center kind of like walmart wiith everything you need to enjoy a holiday.

Restaurants are not finished yet but they do have a small cafeteria

All in all it was a pleasant experience

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gtoane
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This review would be higher except for one thing: when I checked in, the night clerk offered me a "special" rate for the room that I later discovered to be the rate for two people occupying instead of one [I was travelling solo]. The rate sheet was very confusing, and stated the prices only in US dollars, which I had to pay in cash because the hotel's credit card facility was not yet up and running [this was at the end of February 2011; the hotel is apparently under new ownership and undergoing major renovations after some years of inattention and hard times]. The receipt written out by the night clerk, however, was in Dominican pesos, and stated the amount for a single person staying. [I did not check the peso amount against the amount I paid in dollars, as it was late at night and I had no calculator.] While chatting with the morning receptionist the next morning, I discovered that I had been charged the double-occupancy rate,and I asked why that was; the morning receptionist didn't know, and of course had only my word that I had paid the double-occupancy rate. She contacted the night clerk by phone, who denied receiving the larger amount. Since I had no documentation to prove my case, I let the matter go.
Otherwise, the hotel is clean, attractive, well-located right on Puerto Plata's boardwalk, quiet, rooms VERY spacious, although under-furnished, beautiful pool, free wi-fi in lobby area, very attractive cafe & bar areas. I wish them well; but they obviously need to monitor their staff and create a billing/check-in system that protects the clientele.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank RogerDR26
Roch_Labelle, Manager at Puerto Plata Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

Dear valued members of the Trip Advisor traveling community

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at the Puerto Plata Beach Club & Casino. After reviewing the incident we concluded that the special introductory rate of 54USD single or double (plus tax) was correct and the receipt handed out was accurate.

Our experience shows that travelers coming from abroad prefer being quoted in USD currency although the legal tender in the DR is the Dominican Pesos (DOP).

Following concerns from visitors about the clarity of the rate sheets handed out at the resort we are happy to report that those have been removed and replace with a single sign promoting a year round flat rate starting at 69USD for up to four person, plus tax.

We are also happy to report that the hotel received its credit card affiliation and visitors are now able to settle with Visa or Master Card (AMEX affiliation still pending) as well as cash or travelers checks.

We regret any confusion guests might experience at the resort and the negative impact this might have on the property and management and remain thankful for the opportunity to improve on our services.

Sincerely