“Beautiful Weather!”

Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
canada
“Beautiful Weather!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2005

The 4 of us girls went down, ages 23, 23, 26 and 30, from April 30th-May 6th. Weather was fantastic, very hot, sunny, no rain at all. Not too busy when we went, pool bar was only open the first 3 days we were there, and only one a la carte restaurant, I didn't eat at it, but my friends did and said it was good, (the Mexican). The buffet wasn't that bad, and I'm super picky, I always found at least a couple things I liked. Always ate lunch at the beach, fries were yummy! I didn't think the drinks were watered down, mine were always strong. The staff are mostly nice and very friendly and happy, my favourite was a bartender named Julian, someone really needs to take a picture of him for me since I never got one! He's a cutie. Minnie Mouse was great too. We didn't get water or face clothes in our room cept once and we got towels everyday but once I believe. Rooms are pretty big, we had a superior with a balcony, air con worked fine, water temp was fine, good water pressure, very comfy beds and pillows! The beach was beautiful, no garbage, very clean. Bars closed at midnight and the only food after dinner were little sandwiches and fruit. Went to Hemingways and Mangu 3 nights, very fun, busy spots for the younger crowd. We checked out the disco at the hotel but it pretty much sucked. Girls, be careful who you talk to and do not go anywhere alone at night. We went on one day trip, the Outback Safari, it was awesome, definitely recommend it. Check in and check out were fine, the guy that takes you and your bags to your room is great, I didn't catch his name but he wears a funny safari like hat! Two of us were in building 12 and the other two were in building 21, the room in 21 was much brighter. I didn't see one bug the entire time I was there. The music was great, although repetitive. We only did one water sport which was the banana boat...I do not recommend this! We fell off, I couldn't get back on so I had to swim back to shore all alone. Not fun at all. It was my first time in the Dominican and I would go back, I miss it already!

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank canadiangirl24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Czech first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2005

We stayed at the Playa Naco from April 23-30. The weather was great, sunshine everyday. The beach was not that clean, as previously mentioned by other reviews.
The water was warm and really clear. The resort is right on the beach which is nice.
The resort it self. I can say the grounds were well kept. The pool was nice and big and the pool bar adequate.
The food was terrible from the get go. The same thing all week. Pork chops, rice and the same potatoes.
Birds did fly into the buffet restaraunt quite frequently. Breakfast was the best meal of the day,again it would not take much to top lunch and supper.
The staff were not that friendly, i am not saying they had to fall all over you.
They barely said hi to you even if you said it to them. Who ever said people are walking around with smiles on their faces. They must have confused this resort with another.
Our maid did very little for us. the bare minimum. We left 5 dollars u.s. every day. When she finally got to the room around 4 or 5. No fresh sheets and stingy on the towels.
Finally, after 4 days of this we simply put the do not disturb sign on the door and she went away.
We feel we could have done much better elsewhere.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2005

Went to Playa Naco from April 11 to 25. Had lots of rain at the end of first week, but noone can control that. The food at the buffet was not the best, I can eat just about anything so I managed to muttle though. My husband is a bit of a picky eater. We found that everything smelt and tasted the same, whatever spice they use, they use in everything. The Carribean Grill and Mexican a la cartes were good, thank God or my husband wouldn't have ate the whole time. Italian wasn't so good, kind of bland. Burgers and fries at the beach were fine, except it isn't open when it is raining.
Most of the staff were great, especially Sammy, Chicken Legs (entertainers) and Raul (bartender). Had a few that were a bit rude.
Our room rocked. Booked a Superior Room, upgraded to a two level suite. You could fit just our bedroom in most entire rooms that I have been to.
Had some problems with bars closing early, running out of rum or beer in the middle of the day, not much of a selection of mixes at times, etc. We did make our complaits known at the front desk and with our tour director. They don't know if you don't tell them and won't do anything for you if you haven't made your complaints in writing.
Playa Naco's website and pamplete in room both advertise water, soda and beer stocked in room daily, wrong. We were the lucky ones out of most people we talked to and actually had water everyday but one. Asked bartender, guest services, front desk and tour operator about this, all had the same response (to most of all of our complaints) that they are under new management. PS, they have also switched to coke products for anyone who prefers over Pepsi, not us.
Grounds and beaches were kept very clean, can't help what washes up on beaches after a storm.
I have been to the Dominican before, my husband first time, knew what to expect. We also went on a day pass to another resort in Sosua to visit friends.
Closing, would go to Dominican again and stay in the Playa Dorada complex, just not at the Playa Nace, probably Paradise, Grand Ventena, etc.
Think we will go to Cuba next year for a change and hopefully find a good pick there. They say the beaches are better and not as many venders bothering you to looky, looky.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
nova scotia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2005

my sister my husband and myself booked our vacation through red tag vacations we were ripped off in every way you can imagine starting with red tag we booked 2 rooms i didn' t realize that you had to specify electricity so my sister slept with us in our filthy disgusting room for 6 days our room was cleaned once there are hundreds of birds including in the chaffing dishes in the buffet we found bird droppings in the food and the bread we got a server and she took one of the rolls away and left the rest third world or not that is just dangerous we asked if my sister could be moved we were told no we were hasseled so much on the beach that we spent 5 days at the pool the sales people are very pushy and rude a simple no thank-you is not enough, the local men act like they have never seen a woman in there life, we like to go out at night and we were told by steven currie the red tag rep that the nightlife as well as the hotel was topp notch the local men are at the clubs on the complex we were grabbed and harresd so much we could't go out anymore either by wed.i wanted to go home so we went to our w.o.v rep to complain she was the rudest person i have ever come across by then i was sick and just tired of all con artists including the staff we were even riped off by which the wov got to confirm our complaints like he is really going to tell the truth so we got fed up and said that we would handle it when we got home i also had pics documening everything she was not interested in seeing them the complex is not secure and you do not feel safe we spent about three hundred dollars in tips us and still got no service my husband went to get drinks and didn't have any money on him he was then told that he could only have two drinks we just got home from mexico in nov and we our id and cards were stolen we had no money and it did not effect our service at all and the red tag rep said that tucancun was tired and run down that was also a lie compared to playa naco tucancun is a 10 starr in every way i will never book through wov or red tag ever again we got no compensation at all just sorry you didnt have fun we take about 3 trips a year this was the worst one any of us were ever on and manners i never saw any by the staff or locals i will never go to the domican again i was put on antibiotics and 2 inhalers when i got home i haven't been to the doctor in 2 years i was very sick birds do carry disease we were not the only ones who complained there we roughly 20 others and i hope they will put there complaints here as well there are so many other places you can go for the same price and have a much better vacation as far as world of vacations and red tag i will never book through them again they as soon as you pay i think their done. i will go with sunquest or for that matter anyone else i will also post my pics so people will get a true veiw of what we got and this lovely hotel

11 Thank niccole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2005

This April, my family and I decided to go to the Dominican Republic. Now, I am a 17 year old girl, and I didnt wanna go by myself..so my parents allowed me to bring 2 friends(also 17). When we checked the weather is said rain ALL week....when we got there it was cloudy and rainy. But I have to say we had the BEST TIME! There was so much to do even though it was raining. The Staff was AWESOME!Chicken Legs,Samey, Tomas and the MANY others made our vacation just spectacular. Eventually the sun came out, and when it did it was beautiful. There was beach volleyball, or water volleyball, baseketball and everynight there was a different evening activity or show. The shows were halarious, we went everynight.(I wouldnt recommend bringing young children to it because at times it can be alittle risskyy)But It was always fun because the staff always tried to include you, and at the end of every show they would have everyone come up on stage and dance to "Dale Palla". If your young and you like to dance Playa Naco has its own Club or "Disco" as they call it(Gravity). It was fun, however the music was the same everynight and there werent always that many people there. Also, if your under the age of 18, you will not be allowed in, because they check your bracelts(Red means under 18...blue means over 18) So if your under 18 and plan on drinking or going to the club have your parents get you a blue bracelt. My friends and i originally had red bracelts...but...we found a way to get blue. 0:-) But anyhow, I would Recommend Hemmingways over Gravity because they played more recent music, but they also played alittle salsa and more of the spanish dances, which was alot of fun. The whole area is competely safe we walked around outside of Playa Naco alittle bit. My friends and I were never with my parents, we were always out and about doing our own thing. I wouldnt recommend going outside of Playa Dorada, but inside of it is pretty safe. Obviously you get your occasional " Hey Mami" from dominican guys, but just keep walking and they dont bother you.

The food at the buffet was ok, we basically just had rice, pine apples and bread. Some of the food didnt look edible, and once i found a Fly in the tomato sauce...Eww. We went to the Caribean Grill, and the Italian Resturant, we didnt bother going to the Mexican Resturant because those three resturants had all the same food as the buffet except it was given to you in small dishes and you had to make reservations a day in advance.

If you like boats and enjoy snorkling, i would totally recommend going on the Free Style. Its a whole day thing, they take you out at about 8:30am and you dont return until 4ishpm. This was just an awesome day out. It was $70 per person but it was worth it. The crew was amazing and they were full of energy. They had water fights against the Free Style II, and they had canon ball contests(who had the high splash). They provided lunch, and they took you to two spots for snorkling. You could also have the choice of not choosing snorkling, but i would recommend it because its is quite the experience. The crew had you laughing non stop and they always made sure you had something to drink.

The vendors on the beach dont bother you unless you make eye contact. The women who do the hair braiding are really nice and pretty fair with their prices. Down the beach there are little huts with people selling stuff. Now, these people tried to rip us off countless times, however you have to bargin with them and make sure you know how many dollars are equivalent to pesos. There are the same things in every store, so dont bother going to all of them. If you want to do stopping thats also in a safe area, there is a little shopping plaza not even 3 mins away (walking distance). Its the closest thing to a mall.( that is also where the pizza hut is if you need to get away from the buffet)

While i was there ill admit...i got a little stomach bug. Im not sure what is was that i ate because we were really careful about having water and salads etc. I did however hear that a few people were getting sick because of the tomatos, which were in alot of dishes. I know that i did have a type of sause that had tomatos in it, and so i think that is how i got sick. The bug only lasted for a day but if you have medicine it would go away faster. Definatly dont drink the Sink water, and if you go outside Playa Naco, just be careful about what you drink or eat. The Drinking water and ice at playa naco is ok, they use it from big water containers(similar to a Poland Springs)

Most of the people speak 3 languages- Spanish, English and French. So they basically had the major languages covered. The only staff members that didnt speak much english were the people who worked at the resturants, or the maids. We always tried to speak as much spanish as we could because #1 its their county and your the guest amd #2 its fun and they enjoy helping you learn better spanish.

So overal even though it rained and the food wasnt the best, we had an awesome time and when it came time to leave, we wanted to stay. Now that we are home we miss the staff and all the fun we had. I would definatly recommend this to people who like to have fun and dont mind staying at a hotel that is constantly doing something.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2005

My boyfriend and I just got back from Playa NAco. It was really nice.The hotel was very clean, the service getting our room was pretty quick, Our room was absolutely wonderful it was 2 floors. The food at the buffet was actually not bad. They had the same food almsot every day but I must say it was tasty. Theres 3 Restaurants you have to make reservations to go eat (free ofcourse) "The Carribean" which was amazing "The Italian " which wasnt great at all and the last one was" Mexican" which was very good too. It rained alot while we were there so we spend alot of time playing pool, and foosball. Overall I think it was a great hoteland you get what you pay for. I would definetly go back again....

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2005

Well, let me just take you through my very un-relaxing and trouble filled vacation to the Dominican.

We had a nice flight down to the Island, the flight staff were friendly and helpful.

After exiting the airport, we found our tour people and they directed us to our waiting busses,We got to the play naco resort and were greeted and shown to our room . there was no air conditioning, and the windows were all open, I guess this is how the little lizards got in, whom I assume broke the air conditioning and took most of the light bulbs. After we corralled the lizards and showed them how to get out we had a chance to look at the room. The room was spacious and clean, (if not dark because of the lack of light bulbs).

I could go on like this but what's the point? here is a list of my complaints.

1) No Air Conditioning for the first 2 days, it took 3 trips to the front desk to finally get the air fixed.

2) lighting: no one could tell me why there were no light bulbs and the fixture on the stairway leading up the to loft did not work at all ( black scorch marks around the fixture), I almost fell down the stairs because of this the first night.

3) maid service: we tipped the maid $5 a day (but I don't know why) we received water in our mini fridge on one day out of the six, only after complaining. maid never came when the maid service tag was on the door: and there was no indication on when she would be there.
most Towels and sheets were stained.

4) pool bar was out of commission for 2 days.

5) Resort let peddlers into the resort to set up shop around the pool, no sanctuary from cheepy cheepy, lookie lookie.

6) drinking glasses were not cleaned well at any of the bars, lipstick and gloss always present on the drinking glasses, which were just rinsed in tap water, which we are not supposed to drink.

7) Beer ran out at the beach, or tap not working.

8) Ocean was inundated with garbage, couldn't go for a good swim without having a piece of garbage stick to me.

8) towels weren't always available at the beach.

9) bathroom in our room had huge mildew marks on the ceiling, queen size bed had ripped boxspring and a spotty matress

10) water was constantly running out in the shower.

11) toilet in room leaked and ran constantly.

12) evening entertainment was either pathetic or non-existent, with exception of the jazz band.

13), the food at the Caribean Grill was disappointing, turned me off the a la cart resturants all together.

I think thats a good overview....

now for some good points:

The grounds were kept clean. and I belive the maid service was understaffed.

There was lots of food at the buffet, if you got there early.

Most staff spoke ok english.

Felt very safe and secure.

cleaned the pool and hot tub every morning.

beach sand was constantly being cleaned.

This concludes my review of Playa Naco resort and spa.

If I were to give it a ranking on the accomadation alone I would have to give it a low 3.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member