“Had a wonderful time”

Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Tracadie-sheila
“Had a wonderful time”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had a wonderful time at Celuisma Playa Dorada. Nice and clean rooms. Wonderful service, and the animation team were great, thanks to Esmeralda, Daniela, Evelin, Blue, Ester, Radol, Agustin, Jan Carlos, Felix(tochi), Mario, and Francisco (The Animation Team ). The a la carte restaurants were good and the food was great at the buffet.The bartender at the swimming pool is the best. We would go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank willferg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Czech first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just returned from February 2014 vacation with my two daughters aged 11 and 17. I couldn't wait to get home to warn other travelers. I hope people will take this review seriously. I love Trip Advisor because these reviews are from ordinary people with nothing to gain in their commentary. I am taking time to write because I don't want other people to waste hard earned money like I did. First, when I arrived, the room I reserved was nothing like the pictures on the website. This room was covered in thick black mold in all rooms and had leaks in several areas of the ceiling. The smell was so overpowering that my eyes started to water and I couldn't stop sneezing. When I asked for a different room, I was shown another room that was in the same condition as the first, but this one had an infestation of flying bugs hovering around the living room. The third room I was moved to had a spiral staircase leading to the upstairs bedroom. The stairs were constructed of thin plywood tacked on the edges. The center of each stair caved downward as you walked. In addition, none of the light switches worked and all lamps and appliances had exposed frayed wires. Needless to say, very unsafe. We were then moved to what they called a "renovated" room in a different building. This time, the bellboy couldn't open the door without using a screwdriver. He called in two maintenance workers to try to fix the door. After spending over an hour waiting with our luggage, they determined that the door was not able to be fixed and that I would need to "leave it unlocked." I couldn't believe they would even suggest that! We then were moved a 5th time to another "renovated" room. At least this one would lock and I didn't see any mold. Still very disappointing because there were several smushed bugs on the wall over the bed, the furniture was very old, stained, and worn, and the old television was only able to get a few Spanish channels. The partial kitchen only contained a dorm sized refrigerator, no stove top as indicated and the posted signs said the water was not safe to drink. When I confronted the manager about the online pictures, he said those are of a sister property located about an hour away. I told him that this is dishonest advertising and that customers rely on pictures to help make their decision about booking a reservation. He did apologize but did not seem to understand the implication. I also told him that it is unreasonable that I should have to be moved 5 times before finding a room without blatant hazards. The room conditions had obviously shown a pattern of disrepair. After flying for hours on a plane, climbing up and down several flights of stairs with heavy luggage, and being moved 5 times, it was too late to now eat dinner as everything was now closed. I had to pay for one day of "all-inclusive" fees without any offer of a refund. The pull-out sofa did not have any sheets or pillows and the bed only had two flat pillows for my daughter and I to share. In addition, the room did not have any washcloths or towels. When I called housekeeping, I was told that they ran out of sheets and towels but would bring some the next day. My daughter had to spread out her coat to sleep on top of and roll up a pair of sweatpants to use as a pillow. The next day, no sheets or towels were delivered. I called several times and went to the front desk. Finally, at 9:30 pm, we received one set of sheets, one pillow, and one towel. We were told that we would need to share the bath towel. Unbelievable! I called the front desk and was told that two more towels would be delivered...they never came. The next morning I stopped the housekeeper to ask for towels. She said they were in the laundry being washed and that she would deliver them later. When we returned that afternoon, one additional towel was delivered. We now still only had 2 towels for 3 people and no washcloths. I was so frustrated that I hired a taxi to drive us downtown to buy my own towels and washcloths! The bed sheets were not changed the entire week. In addition, the in-room safes (as advertised on-line) do not lock so you have to keep your money and valuables with you at all times. That was a pain especially when going swimming. As for the food, the buffet is open-air so black birds were flying onto the buffet station eating the food and pooping on the tables. They served the same horrible food every day with dried out cake for dessert. The left-overs from the day before were served again with a different sauce added on top. The beef was rancid. It smelled and tasted like meat that had turned brown and rotted after leaving out to long. Horrible diarrhea the whole week. The a-la-cart restaurants were only open certain days of the week and you had to make a reservation early in the morning in order to get a spot because each restaurant only had a few tables. Food listed on the menu was not available and they frequently ran out of food so they would serve us food from the buffet. As for the alcoholic drinks, the bottles of liquor were watered down "as per one of the bartenders" so they would "last longer" and "people wouldn't get too drunk." Well, that was pretty obvious as everyone was complaining. The even ran out of wine and beer. It was such a rip off considering the mandatory all-inclusive fees. I've never had this experience at a resort before! There are only a few activities and the shows are a joke. There's not even anything to do downtown as far as sight seeing goes. The only positive thing I can say is the beach is gorgeous. Too bad you can't enjoy it without being bombarded by people begging for money or hassling you to buy some cheap junk. They don't take "no" for an answer. You also have to fight for a chair as they only have a limited supply and the ones they do have are torn and stained with mold. Fellow travelers, I warn you - DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!! We all work hard for our money and want to enjoy vacation with our families. Hopefully other people will benefit from my mistake.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
17 Thank travelinnurse01

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Tumwater, Washington
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If my husband and I could give a lower score then "1" we would. This was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at! We had a superior room reserved for one night. The room had mold and part of the ceiling was falling down. And it was filty! We asked for a different room but they said they were booked. Interesting since many of the tables in the restaurant were empty. The food was terrible. The bottom of the serving islands looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years. Thank goodness we only had to endure this for one night!

7 Thank TumwaterTBird
Granby, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Vacation February 2014

BUFFET:

This hotel as probably been a great resort when it opened, but right now in 2014 it blows....
Not enough variety at the buffet, and food was often tasteless or overcooked. Don't expect bacon at breakfast.... or seafood at lunch or dinner ...the white rice was good... ;) and some time the fish. Beef ??? forget it... you wont be able to chew it down...

A LA CARTE:

The ( a la carte) restaurant reservation are made day by day at the front desk... We arrived on a Tuesday, and left also on a Tuesday which is the only day Italian is open, so we never tried this one. The 3 other one often serve the same soup everyday, Half the choice on their menu are unavailable. Salad bar and desert are the same every time... The only good point of those restaurant vs the buffet is the food was slightly fresher and the service better.

POOL:

Nice pool in the middle of the resort, smaller one for the kid, and chair more comfortable then at the beach!! Careful if it is important for you: (((((((((((NO POOL BAR!!!))))))))))))

BEACH:

The beach is the only strong point of this hotel... Sand was great and clean, water too!!
On the other hand, Chair were really hard to find and need a lot of reparation ... i Once carried chair from the pool to the beach. Their is a lot of vendor on the beach which are trying to sell you stuff.. it can be a pain if you just want to relax quietly!!

ROOM:

Our first room was an old suite who needed a lot of reparation. No hot water ... leaking sink..old dirty bath...No lock on a few doors and windows, Mosquitoes everywhere....... Kitchen was disgusting and if you leave any food in there, insect were infesting it. Sheet of the bed were never changed ... and towel were really often missing..

After 3 days, we switched room. This one was Small but very nice and clean. More importantly, it has hot water!!! The safe of this new room seemed to have been broken into....

FINALLY:

For the price we paid, (680$ Canadian) It was still OK.... but we were still expecting a bit more... I know people are sometime paying this hotel over 900$!!!! this is over payed!!! you could have a lot better then this. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! This was my 4 times in Dominican republic and was by far the worst hotel...

Room Tip: Most of their suites are not renovated, old , dirty and you will probably get a lot of problem, like...
4 Thank Michael G
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2014

flip a coin and take the worst hotel in cuba you can find it will look like a 5 star compared to this slum filthy everything the food was disgustingly repetitive leftover food from lunch was served with a different sauce for the evening meal ala carte restaurant was worse than the buffet, fish or pork or goat it did not matter they still screwed it up survived on bread and cheese for most of the vacation,the amenities at the beach served cold hotdogs and hamburgers very very limited pizza at the beach,the chaise lounges on the beach were torn split and dirty grey slimy coverings and the lilos were for the most part unusable. a lot of people got the runs so bad that they called in the health inspector which only promoted the hotel management the liberally douse everything and I mean everything with undiluted bleach
the chairs the lilos the tables ect ect then did not rinse it off properly which did a nice job of bleaching the swimsuits and whatever clothing people had on when they used them
do not go to this resort you will be wasting your money and time, they ran out of beer for about 2 days.

Room Tip: flip a coin and take the worst hotel in cuba you can find it will look like a 5 star compared to thi...
5 Thank E6614DOjohnp
Arnprior, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Needs a lot of maintenance, very shabby BUT very clean. Most of the staff super friendly & helpful. Had to ask for everything like toilet paper bath mat was first day only. You only get 2 big towels a day so bring your own facecloths. We had one tiny little shampoo for the 2 of us & they ran out. The night shows were very good & a lot of fun. The food was mediocre & not much choice, almost the same every day. Beach lounge chairs were all ripped or broken.

Room Tip: building 21 is perfect location, can see beach & close to everything.
1 Thank Judy N
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Room 1824 was very nice however the day we checked in no towels and no water the next 2 days the same two bath towels only the third day only one bath towel and so on, only got the water on a regular basis after complaining.
The food was bland and looked like recycled from lunch to dinner my wife and I contracted a stomach bug along with several other guests we spoke with and was still prevalent after returning home.
The beach loungers are disgusting and need to be replaced.

2 Thank Paul M