“all inclusive one week stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Beach House Playa Dorada

Hotel Beach House Playa Dorada
Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Arnprior, Canada
“all inclusive one week stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Needs a lot of maintenance, very shabby BUT very clean. Most of the staff super friendly & helpful. Had to ask for everything like toilet paper bath mat was first day only. You only get 2 big towels a day so bring your own facecloths. We had one tiny little shampoo for the 2 of us & they ran out. The night shows were very good & a lot of fun. The food was mediocre & not much choice, almost the same every day. Beach lounge chairs were all ripped or broken.

Room Tip: building 21 is perfect location, can see beach & close to everything.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Czech first
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Room 1824 was very nice however the day we checked in no towels and no water the next 2 days the same two bath towels only the third day only one bath towel and so on, only got the water on a regular basis after complaining.
The food was bland and looked like recycled from lunch to dinner my wife and I contracted a stomach bug along with several other guests we spoke with and was still prevalent after returning home.
The beach loungers are disgusting and need to be replaced.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul M

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

PEI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Check in was good and fast, our suite(1824) was beautiful, newly renovated. The patio door did not lock. The food !!! Awful to really bad !! Everything taste the same except the fresh fruit, it was good, little to no fish on the buffet and the A LA Cartes were a joke, presentation was poor and well as the taste, beach party buffet was the best we had, meat you could chew !! My second time in Puerto Plata and my husbands first, never again, looks like we will stick to Cuba and stay with a 4 star or better, after all this was the first time we tried a 3 star, it was cheap and a lesson well learned. Time Share sellers will drive you crazy, the do not know what NO THANKS means. We could not get a late check out but they did offer a room to shower in, well, stay away from Bld 21, the room reaked, not light bulbs and the toilet did not flush, curtains falling off the window and paint peeling off the walls, could not believe any hotel would let anyone into a room like this let alone rent it out. Pay a little more and go somewhere else. I do not usually write a review as most places I have been were good, but could not let this one go. We both can home with a stomach virus and need medical attention. Please believe the bad reviews you see on here, they are true !!

Room Tip: Room 1824 is a newly renovated suite and is beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank jampei
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I booked here for a six week stay for a working vacation. What a mistake.

Looked nice in the website. Guess what? They hired a great photographer. Nothing like the pictures. Old. run down. Nothing work.

For example. No hot water. Stove creates and electric shock. No hot water ever in the kitchen. Door to the balcony (sliding glass door) does not lock. Several times I cam be back and the door was open!

Refrigerator does not work. Bathroom is flithy. Kitchen is awful. I could go on, but think you get the picture.

Free internet? No way. $60 for the week! Really. What a ripoff!!!

Staff is terrible. Surly. Don't speak English. Don't want to help. Act like you are a bother.

Example? After repeated requests, I finally got my refrigerator to work. Took a day and my food spoiled. And, its like one cubic foot. Think the smallest dorm refrigerator.

Microwave is so small my coffee cup will not fit in it. Remember the microwaves with the dial instead of touch pad? You got it! How many DECADES ago did they stop making those?

Enough said. Only good thing? Beach is beautiful. But so are the beaches at neighboring hotels.

RUN THE OTHER WAY! DO NOT CONSIDER THIS PLACE. IT DEFINES AWFUL LODGING AND BAD SERVICE.

Don't believe it? Well, I warned you.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank John C
Topeka, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

First the negatives, then the positives....

I will try to be as honest and strait forward as possible with this review. I would like to start that I have spent A LOT of time over the last 6 years in this country. I have stayed everywhere from resorts to hotels and even had a couple of apartments. I am on the way out of the country due to a medical issue. I chose to stay here my last few days after getting out of a local hospital with the idea that I could relax and not have to worry about anything such as cooking or cleaning or whatever. Well, there is a few ups and downs at this resort.....

I chose this particular resort based on price. Expedia had a 50% sale on it which brought it down to $81 per night. Great, I booked it for 4 nights and it was confirmed within moments. Check-in was a breeze, no screwups there. The bellman grabbed my bags and we headed to a room in building 21. This room.... wow..... what a disaster on all fronts. The shower would not turn off completely, the toilet would have to refill every 15 mins or so.... so water noises constantly. The air conditioner sounded like a jet taking off, but it was very cold so it would not have to run very long.
Now the worst part of it all for me...... internet service..... IT IS NOT INCLUDED. So I found the internet cafe and purchased the wifi package. They had a 25 hour pack for $25, or a 7 day unlimited pack for $60..... I purchased the unlimited which ended up being about $67 because they screw you on the exchange rates.
Either way, building 20.... well the internet is almost non-existent. Out of 8 available hotspot names at the resort, only one would work, and only part of the time, and only if you had your computer on the edge of the bed closest to the window which made the computer desk or any other possibly semi-conformable position unusable. I complained about this 5 times over 2 days. I have to have internet for work, communications, and I was trying to book a flight out of the country.
Finally the evening of the second day I got the manager. He was kind and understanding. He had one of the bellmen take me to another room with my computer to see if the signal would work for me there. This was building 13. It did work..... not only that.... the room was NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT. The air conditioner was quite and worked well. it was cleaner, the shower and toilet did not constantly run.... etc... And the internet has not cut out on me one time...... it is reliably fast as well.
There have been a couple of slightly irritating things to happen..... such as the door locks seems to just quit working regularly. I have lost count how many times I have had to walk to the back and forth to the front desk, then wait for maintenance, then they have to change the batteries...... then the next day do it all over again....

However,
Overall they have been kind, polite, helpful, etc.....

For some positive points......
The food, in my opinion, is quiet good. There are lots of options and even a few restaurants that you can choose from if you don't want the buffet. Keep in mind..... this is no gourmet restaurant.... they are working with local produce. But I think they have done a fine job of preparing the meals.

Honesty....
When I changed rooms I had apparently left my iPad in the previous room and did not even realize it. The next day I got a call from the front desk about it. I was astonished.... not only that I did not even realize it was gone, but that they found it and made every effort to get it back to me quickly....... major kudos for this!!!

friendliness......
I really cant say enough about this. These folks will go out of their way to be nice to you (as most Dominicans anywhere in this country will). If you give them and ounce of respect, they will return it in tons.

So..... other than a few room related problems (which they went above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy).... This place it not bad. No it is not brand new..... it is not luxury, and it is not perfect. But hey.... if you are not super picky and want a nice relatively cheap safe fun place to be..... go for it. I would recommend it more for seasoned travelers than first timers mostly because it does have a MUCH more "local" feel to it that may not be for everyone.....

Room Tip: stay away from building 21...... I like 13 personally. can't tell you about any other building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Jesse K
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Booked this vacation last min so I had the attitude of getting out of frigid temperatures.
Arriving at the hotel check in was quick. Was given a room on the main floor of building 12. Although my booking said renovated room it didn't look renovated,the room was large spacious and clean. The top sheets on the bed were white so I did see minor stains that looked could of been from beach sand. The mattress was clean and the sheets were clean. I had multiple pillows that were comfortable. my maid did a fantastic job of keeping my room clean. I did have issues with hot water but the maintenance staff were constantly working on it. For those who say the rooms smell musty and stink, well you have to expect that when your in a tropical country staying steps from the ocean.
The atmosphere on the resort changed from day to day. When we first arrived it didn't seem to be a lot of people staying there and that was ok because there were no line ups for drinks or food and multiple beach chairs. It did pick up and get busy on the weekend.
I enjoyed the food at the buffet. The resort staff took pride in their presentation and offered a lot of dishes every day that were well made and tasty. I did not like the food at the beach very much, mostly wieners and the late night snakes were not to be desired for either with sandwiches or hotdogs.
The entertainment varied from night to night from karaoke to extravagant cultural dancing. One night we had a beach party with dancing and a bonfire. It was really enjoyable!
I would recommend this hotel for seasoned travellers who enjoy a quality budget vacation with a nice beach and good food. There are many travellers that stay here from Europe and South America so it was a great place to meet people and make friends. If you want luxury you will be disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kerrbear05
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We just came back last night from our 1 week holiday and we were supposed to stay in that hotel and in fact we stay there for the first 2 nights. As soon as we entered the room we found a huge cockroach and the room smelled musty that it was impossible to sleep there. As soon as I entered the bathroom I found another cockroach (#2) coming from inside the toilet seat. And surprise we found cockroach #3 in the corridor of the hotel. The fridge was leaking, there was a lot of water in the floor, the blanket had a huge stain, in the first room that we stay the television wasn't working properly, it was static and we complained and we moved to another room but it was exactly the same filthy and disgusting, there was no remote control for the television, the cleaning lady took the towels and she never replaced and never put another bottle of water, the shower curtain was rusty. Also is annoying because everywhere you go they try to sell you the VIP Membership. How dare??? after all we been going through. We couldn't stand it anymore and we decided to pay extra but to leave that hotel for good and go to a decent hotel. I don't recommend this hotel at all. Read all the comments before you even decide to go there because is not worth it to waste your money in that stinky place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple