“Some positives, some negative.... Recomended for the seasoned traveler”

Hotel Beach House Playa Dorada
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Topeka, Kansas
“Some positives, some negative.... Recomended for the seasoned traveler”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

First the negatives, then the positives....

I will try to be as honest and strait forward as possible with this review. I would like to start that I have spent A LOT of time over the last 6 years in this country. I have stayed everywhere from resorts to hotels and even had a couple of apartments. I am on the way out of the country due to a medical issue. I chose to stay here my last few days after getting out of a local hospital with the idea that I could relax and not have to worry about anything such as cooking or cleaning or whatever. Well, there is a few ups and downs at this resort.....

I chose this particular resort based on price. Expedia had a 50% sale on it which brought it down to $81 per night. Great, I booked it for 4 nights and it was confirmed within moments. Check-in was a breeze, no screwups there. The bellman grabbed my bags and we headed to a room in building 21. This room.... wow..... what a disaster on all fronts. The shower would not turn off completely, the toilet would have to refill every 15 mins or so.... so water noises constantly. The air conditioner sounded like a jet taking off, but it was very cold so it would not have to run very long.
Now the worst part of it all for me...... internet service..... IT IS NOT INCLUDED. So I found the internet cafe and purchased the wifi package. They had a 25 hour pack for $25, or a 7 day unlimited pack for $60..... I purchased the unlimited which ended up being about $67 because they screw you on the exchange rates.
Either way, building 20.... well the internet is almost non-existent. Out of 8 available hotspot names at the resort, only one would work, and only part of the time, and only if you had your computer on the edge of the bed closest to the window which made the computer desk or any other possibly semi-conformable position unusable. I complained about this 5 times over 2 days. I have to have internet for work, communications, and I was trying to book a flight out of the country.
Finally the evening of the second day I got the manager. He was kind and understanding. He had one of the bellmen take me to another room with my computer to see if the signal would work for me there. This was building 13. It did work..... not only that.... the room was NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT. The air conditioner was quite and worked well. it was cleaner, the shower and toilet did not constantly run.... etc... And the internet has not cut out on me one time...... it is reliably fast as well.
There have been a couple of slightly irritating things to happen..... such as the door locks seems to just quit working regularly. I have lost count how many times I have had to walk to the back and forth to the front desk, then wait for maintenance, then they have to change the batteries...... then the next day do it all over again....

However,
Overall they have been kind, polite, helpful, etc.....

For some positive points......
The food, in my opinion, is quiet good. There are lots of options and even a few restaurants that you can choose from if you don't want the buffet. Keep in mind..... this is no gourmet restaurant.... they are working with local produce. But I think they have done a fine job of preparing the meals.

Honesty....
When I changed rooms I had apparently left my iPad in the previous room and did not even realize it. The next day I got a call from the front desk about it. I was astonished.... not only that I did not even realize it was gone, but that they found it and made every effort to get it back to me quickly....... major kudos for this!!!

friendliness......
I really cant say enough about this. These folks will go out of their way to be nice to you (as most Dominicans anywhere in this country will). If you give them and ounce of respect, they will return it in tons.

So..... other than a few room related problems (which they went above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy).... This place it not bad. No it is not brand new..... it is not luxury, and it is not perfect. But hey.... if you are not super picky and want a nice relatively cheap safe fun place to be..... go for it. I would recommend it more for seasoned travelers than first timers mostly because it does have a MUCH more "local" feel to it that may not be for everyone.....

Room Tip: stay away from building 21...... I like 13 personally. can't tell you about any other building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Jesse K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Czech first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Booked this vacation last min so I had the attitude of getting out of frigid temperatures.
Arriving at the hotel check in was quick. Was given a room on the main floor of building 12. Although my booking said renovated room it didn't look renovated,the room was large spacious and clean. The top sheets on the bed were white so I did see minor stains that looked could of been from beach sand. The mattress was clean and the sheets were clean. I had multiple pillows that were comfortable. my maid did a fantastic job of keeping my room clean. I did have issues with hot water but the maintenance staff were constantly working on it. For those who say the rooms smell musty and stink, well you have to expect that when your in a tropical country staying steps from the ocean.
The atmosphere on the resort changed from day to day. When we first arrived it didn't seem to be a lot of people staying there and that was ok because there were no line ups for drinks or food and multiple beach chairs. It did pick up and get busy on the weekend.
I enjoyed the food at the buffet. The resort staff took pride in their presentation and offered a lot of dishes every day that were well made and tasty. I did not like the food at the beach very much, mostly wieners and the late night snakes were not to be desired for either with sandwiches or hotdogs.
The entertainment varied from night to night from karaoke to extravagant cultural dancing. One night we had a beach party with dancing and a bonfire. It was really enjoyable!
I would recommend this hotel for seasoned travellers who enjoy a quality budget vacation with a nice beach and good food. There are many travellers that stay here from Europe and South America so it was a great place to meet people and make friends. If you want luxury you will be disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kerrbear05
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We just came back last night from our 1 week holiday and we were supposed to stay in that hotel and in fact we stay there for the first 2 nights. As soon as we entered the room we found a huge cockroach and the room smelled musty that it was impossible to sleep there. As soon as I entered the bathroom I found another cockroach (#2) coming from inside the toilet seat. And surprise we found cockroach #3 in the corridor of the hotel. The fridge was leaking, there was a lot of water in the floor, the blanket had a huge stain, in the first room that we stay the television wasn't working properly, it was static and we complained and we moved to another room but it was exactly the same filthy and disgusting, there was no remote control for the television, the cleaning lady took the towels and she never replaced and never put another bottle of water, the shower curtain was rusty. Also is annoying because everywhere you go they try to sell you the VIP Membership. How dare??? after all we been going through. We couldn't stand it anymore and we decided to pay extra but to leave that hotel for good and go to a decent hotel. I don't recommend this hotel at all. Read all the comments before you even decide to go there because is not worth it to waste your money in that stinky place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Ivon V

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I visited this resort solo last week. I was given a room not too far from the disco even though I asked for one far away....after talking to a gal that was on the same plane, she said everyone else had moved to another building.......the first room had NO fridge, no telephone and no remote......I had to ask 4 times for a telephone before I got one......I went to the desk and asked for another room and that I had paid for a newly renovated room.....they all just looked to the floor when I asked.....they wanted to know the reason why so I said what I was given was clearly NOT a newly renovated room and that everyone from the same Sunday flight had been moved to other rooms....they moved me to a lovely new room and further away from the disco......the a/c was so noisy that i had to let it run all evening just so I could turn it off to sleep...there was literally no place to put clothes ..the internet connections are extremely slow.....they give you 15 minutes free service but it takes 20 minutes to connect to the server.......I was ill with neuralgia in my teeth and they were very good at taking me to the local clinic.....the service at the clinic was excellent...doctor and nurse and admin clerk were super......food was generally good but have tasted better at other resorts in Playa Dorada...I have stayed at 4 other resorts in the Playa Dorada area.....the week got better as I went along...the male waiters were much more friendly than the female ones...on two occasions when I asked for diet coke with my meal, it was brought in a plastic cup NOT a glass which I found very insulting.....mediocre hotel.......not too sure I would go back to this resort

Room Tip: Do not go to bldg 2100 - it is NOT renovated
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Marcia218
Muskoka District, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I have visited this resort many many times and we love it. This is a very traditional, average Dominican resort. It is not eloborate or fancy. We feel it is like going to the cottage. It is a simple affordable vacation.
As for the Complainers out there- I must say this, if you want to have a red carpet, champagne vacation, please do not go there. Spend more money and go elsewhere. Quit ruining everyone elses vacation with your complaints. Shame on those who think that a economically challenged country can provide you with as much or more then what you have in North America or Europe. Give your head a shake and realize what is happening here.
There is plenty to eat and food is good. There is plenty to drink . The sun shines bright and the beach is clean and beautiful. What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: Building 11, 12 and 13 are okay. 14 is for the Vip members. The centre of the resort is all under co...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
20 Thank CanadianBlondie
Huntsville, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This resort plays on Canadians acceptance of adverse situations. They will put Canadians and nobody else next to the noisy stinky generators, after a day or two of vacation wasted on complaining they will give you a different room, you move yourself. The second room will have no hot water. Again after two days of being promised hot water or a new room you will again need to move yourself to a new room. This room will have sewage leaking through the ceiling ( I have photos). We wasted a week of a 14 day stay changing rooms. Of course it is your fault if you miss the forever absent manager to approve the room change. This was only the room troubles. In addition they are trying to make this dump into a time share although they use a different title (Forest beach club). If you ever been ticked at pestering by beach sellers, try warding off time share sales staff inside the resort. Every time one of the many see you it is hard sell time. Then the poor people who bought into this mess find that if they suck you in they will get a extra free week. There is no rest from fellow vacationers or sales staff. We stayed there in 2012 and were told that due to renovations things were a mess. So we went back.. stupid me... in 2013. the above info is about the 2013 stay. The food had become worse in 2013 and the alcohol was sans alcohol. We purchased our own bottle at the plaza. Now the Playa Drrada plaza was a treat, great shopping and people to match. The orange and blue markets were a rip. This year we booked 200 meters down the beach at the Grand Paradise. I will let you know how is is. Many of our friends will NOT go back to the CELUISMA.

Rhys Rissman

Room Tip: If you pay for a superior or ocean view room and do not get it, DON'T wait to change, take your...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rhys R
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We travel, that is what we do. We spend many days in hostels, hotels and resorts. We have stayed in two star hotels and had a wonderful time. This hotel was not what we expected. The pictures that are being show here are not what you will get when you get then.

To start: This was suppose to be a renovated superior room. First off our sliding doors would not latch they did fix that. Our phone didn't work we requested for that to be fixed it was fixed two days before we left (we were there for 10 days). The hangers were rusty metal hangers and nowhere to put your close, no dresser nothing we had clothes everywhere which is not really something you like that have to do for 10 days. The great wall headboards they put up are horrible, they put the electrical outlets through them but they are not mounted on the wall correctly and when I plugged my laptop in the side headboard fell off and almost hit me. Can't imagine what would have happened if the headboard over the bed fell

the room was disgusting. The bathroom was not clean when we got there, we cleaned it ourselves the first night and it was never cleaned again accept the floor once in a while. Repeatedly we had to ask for towels that were taken from the room and not replaced. We lost hot water for three days and nothing was done when we asked to have it fixed we had to get our tours guide to tell them to fix it. Our shower head was the worse you had to move around in hopes of getting water to clean off. We asked for this to be fixed too but nothing happened.

The bed was ridiculous. it was the most disgusting bed I have ever had to sleep on. It was dirty and stained the worse thing is that we looked at it and then had to sleep on it. The springs were going right through the top of the mattress the first two nights we didn't sleep. We requested a topper or a change of mattress nothing happened. We ended getting pillows to make our own pillow top bed for me so I could sleep with bad hips and back this bed literally caused me so much pain. We requested an extra blanket and got a sheet so we ended up sleep with our airplane blankets. The bench and chair left in our room were also disgusting as they were white and never cleaned.

The air conditioner worked well except it sounded like a transport coming through our room every time it turned on, needless to say we didn't sleep with the ac very often as we just kept getting woken up. We asked for this to be fixed.... never happened.

A light was burnt out in our bathroom we requested it to be replaced... seriously you can replace a light... nope never happened.

And this was just the room.

The food was bland and many times just gross, I ended up eating at the pasta station every night... awesome 10 nights of the same pasta. The salad bar was not always stocked the hot food was taken care of but salad bar was often empty and didn't get refilled until later most times after I was already done eating.

The sun beds was gross as well. I get it they get dirty and that I accept but what I was annoyed with was they were so stretched out that you were sitting on the bars of the chair. They were falling apart either plastic broken, or the string holding the canvas on was broken.

Do I recommend this property, if you want to meet a few nice people that work there, then sure if you want a nice place to stay don't.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple