I spent a week at this resort in February 2013. Its greatest strength is its proximity to a beautiful beach. Our room was clearly one of the renovated ones--its decoration was a little austere, but it was very clean and the beds were comfortable. We got to see one of the non-renovated rooms on the last day, when we were allowed to use it after check out time. VERY glad we had been in a renovated one. The courtesy room had eye-searing bedspreads, and a cockroach in the bathtub.
In terms of the food, we were able to try all 4 of the theme restaurants, and ate at both the main buffet, and the lunchtime buffet at the beach. The food was pedestrian but adequate. I recommend avoiding beef--some of the chewiest meat I've ever been offered. The fish and chicken were generally good bets. There were many minor, amateurish problems, like running out of cups, rum, diet cola etc. I disagree with the reports of watered-down drinks. I found that everything I ordered had lots of fire in it! At least until they ran out of rum...
The staff were extremely variable in their attitude. Some were very friendly and accomodating, others reserved to the point of near hostility. Our lack of Spanish was likely one source of the problem...but surely anyone who works at this type of resort should be able to deal with English speakers. I got the sense that the employees' attitudes simply reflected their personalities. Evidence of a lack of training.
Most unpleasant were the constant appeals to buy stuff. On the beach we would get harassed every few minutes by someone with sunglasses or stuffed monkeys. And in the resort there were attempts to sell vacations, as well as tourist grot. I can't really fault the resort for the people on the beach, but I would have appreciated not being bothered on the grounds of the resort.
In all, we generally enjoyed our stay. The price was extremely reasonable, and we were tremendously lucky with the weather. We had the concierge book us a private tour of Puerto Plata, which was definitely a highlight of the trip (in spite of getting totally fleeced in some souvenir shops--make sure you negotiate!). But I don't think we'll go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WELCOME TO THE HOTEL BEACH HOUSE PLAYA DORADA BEACH HOUSE PLAYA DORADA The Hotel Beach House Playa Dorada guarantees you a unique beach holiday in one of the most complete and welcoming All Inclusive hotels in Puerto Playa, Dominican Republic. Specialized in weddings and events on the beach, this hotel is the perfect setting for some unforgettable holidays. Located in the amazing Playa Dorada, 5 km away from Puerto Plata, this hotel for weddings in the Dominican Republic offers endless customized services and state-of-the-art facilities for events: spa, swimming pools, nearby golf, water sports, parties, restaurants... Discover one of the liveliest hotels in Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata: book a hotel at the best price, only here, on the official website of the Hotel Beach House Playa Dorada. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Beach House Playa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada Hotel Puerto Plata
- Tropical Playa Dorada
- Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada Resort