All reviews mosquito net dominican republic outdoor shower other guests bring earplugs private bathroom fun hike eating habits dominican food couple nights cold shower light sleeper breakfast and dinner an excursion accommodations dr casita
Selected filters
Reviewed May 13, 2015

Tubagua is a beautiful, inexpensive and unique oasis, secluded enough to feel local and out of reach of tourist areas, but close enough to beaches and other attractions.
Myself and five friends visited last week and basically had the whole place to ourselves.
My boyfriend and I stayed in a palapa that looks out over the jungle and mountainside and the small pool area.
The food was delicious -- fruit and coffee every morning, and yummy full breakfast plates to follow. Dinner was always good and portioned well -- and there was dessert every night! :) Free supply of bottled water too.
I was nervous about mosquitoes, but didn't really see many around Tubugua. There were definitely other bugs, but nothing I wouldn't expect from a wall-less hostel on the mountainside. Cute and friendly dogs and cats hanging around too.
Luis - the guy essentially working the grounds during our stay was super friendly, gave great advice and even rode some of our group into 'town' to pick up some alcohol since we underestimated our thirst ;) There is no alcohol provided, but it's BYOB.
Tim - the owner and 30-year-resident of the DR - was friendly and really helpful in helping us prepare for our trip!

Two tips: 1) bring earplugs, the roosters can get really loud in the wee hours of the morning 2) prepare for a bumpy ride up the road to Tubagua, large stretches of the road are unpaved and full of potholes, so warn your driver!

Definitely recommend!

Room tip: Some rooms don't get wifi, I didn't care at all, but just a heads up.
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2015

I wish to highly recommend Tubagua Plantation Eco Village to any Eco tourist to the Dominican Republic. Tim Hall and his staff maintain a wonderful little B&B just outside of Tubagua.

The best breakfast I ate on my trip was here! Serving both vegetarian and standard cuisine, I and my brother were well fed and we enjoyed the company of our fellow travellers at meal times.

Clean well appointed rooms made this one of the best Adventure Tourism B&B's i have stayed at in my world travels. Access to guided walking tours and other tourist excursions are also available. Tubagua also offers free wifi to guests, perfect for updating your profile or reaching out to home and family.

This little corner of the Garden of Eden that is the Dominican Republic was a restful oasis.

Tim there are not enough stars on trip adviser to do justice to the beauty, tranquility and peace we found there. Thanks again!!!

Room tip: Pick your view !!! all the rooms offer stunning vistas of the Dominican landscape
Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank cmttmp
Reviewed March 10, 2015

After two children and 6 years of marriage my husband and I decided it was time for just the two of us to take a vacation. We had long talked about taking kite boarding lessons in Cabarate so we booked some classes and made reservations at an all-inclusive resort. About two weeks before our trip it hit me that if we were ever going to take an “off the beaten path” vacation, this was the time to do it. We didn’t have to travel to the Dominican or leave the kids behind to sip the same kind of cocktails with the same kind of umbrellas at the same type of resort. The Lonely Planet profile on the Tubagua Eco Lodge caught my attention. After checking the website my husband and I agreed to scrap all of our plans except for kite boarding. We reserved a cabin with a shared bathroom at Tubagua, rented a car and loosely mapped out the places we wanted to visit along the north western coast of the Dominican Republic. Tim, the owner and manager of Tubagua, and I spoke on the phone and exchanged emails. He provided detailed directions to the property, local driving and safety tips, and recommendations on must-see places. We LOVED our cabin and the entire property. The bed was comfortable and the room spacious. The views in the morning were stunning. In the early evenings we enjoyed reading in the lounge, joining other guests for dinner and trying the cigars Tim sources from a friend. After a couple of nights we upgraded to the larger cabin with the private bath. It was even more beautiful and was phenomenal for the price. A like cabin anywhere else would easily have cost twice as much . Breakfast at the lodge was simple, but satisfying. Dinners were delicious. We could have spent the entire week exploring the trails, waterfalls, and sites just off of the Tubagua Lodge and had an amazing time. However, the 7km drive to the coast was easy enough. Having a car allowed us to take kite boarding lessons each day as well as spend a day exploring Puerto Plata, the 27 Waterfalls, and some amazing roadside and beachside restaurants. We plan on going back to Tubagua and next time will take the kids because the lodge is family friendly. Cancelling our original plans and switching to Tubagua was a great decision. We made new friends, felt like we got to know the Dominican Republic and visited beautiful places. After telling a Dominican friend about our experience even he was impressed by Tubagua, the places we were able to see and the things we were able to do.

Room tip: The private cabins are beautiful and spacious
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wanderbee35
Reviewed February 25, 2015

Our family (couple with kids 9 and 12) stayed at Tubagua for a couple of days and loved it. We had spent some time laying on the beach and added this as a second stop which just made the whole trip a lot more fun, more interesting, and more memorable.

First things first - Tubagua does a LOT with a little. Meaning, rural areas in the D.R. are very rugged by the standards of most tripadvisor readers, and yet this place has great food, they clean the rooms well, the wifi works, they have nice comfy couches, etc.

Tim who runs it is a pillar of the local community, answers calls, email and texts quickly, will help you plan outings, and has a super friendly staff. And Tim really looked out for our needs getting us rides, introductions, and making suggestions

I should say that the character of the place is very mellow and casual. So for those of you who really like everything perfect, or want to control your environment, or want the feeling that the staff is jumping to serve your whims, its not exactly a fit for you. But if you love the pictures and love the outdoors and like the looks of the activities nearby you will have a great time.

The beds are nice, the mosquito nets weren't necessary when we were there. Again, though, rural D.R. is not quiet - there are motorbikes and roosters, etc.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank jason s
Reviewed February 25, 2015

Spent the middle 3 days there in a 22 day vacation. Peaceful, fun, adventurous, great food, great company, good wi-fi, really cool accommodations, easy-in, easy-out. Not your normal place, however. A quiet respite up in the mountains wth the most spectacular view in the country, especially from the bathroom. Easy to do nothing while having a blast. We did make the climb up to the waterfall, ..... Stunning but a bit grueling 6-7 hour hike, they'll go as slow as need be. You'll sleep well. Walked to a cock-fight. (Meh). If your an open minded free wheeling traveler, not a tourist, you'll love it! Say Hi to Tim ...... A pretty cool dude.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple