“All tricks no treat”

Ranked #36 of 120 Restaurants in Puerto Plata
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2014

La Ponderosa is located off the main restaurant strips like the Ocean Boulevard or luis Ginebra. It looks weird from the outside wiith its windows masked by wooden louvers, like it's impossible to see the inside when standing outdoors.
Telltale sign of a tourist trap: taxis parked and drivers waiting as they will collect their 30% commission upon the patrons leaving. Other telltale sign: the only patrons in sight are the ones brought by the cabs, and no Dominican clients at all.
I particularly disliked the "choose a lobster fresh from the tank, get another deep frozen from the freezer" and return the live one to the tank...

Anyway, I won't be back and would certainly not recommend that establishment.

2  Thank Gilles B

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have been to this restaurant a few times in the past, with friends, took my mother and with a local man as well Tony Almonte, he drives cab in Cabarete.
It is really a lot of fun to pick out your own lobster, my mom loved it. I do not eat lobster myself, but the chicken, red beans and rice is very good, the drinks, the service and ambience is totally local. I will be taking my best friend/spouse this year when we visit.. this will be his second time to the beautiful island of Hispaniola, my 8th. Service is awesome, friendly and very attentive.
I had to put in a date of when I visited here, but actually last visit was in 2009. I am hoping when I visit this year things will not have changed.

1  Thank harleyonlygirl
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Excellent food,very friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere,best lobster around by a long shot,good drinks and all at a very fair price,we will defiantly go there again and again…For 6 in a cab its $40 for take and return from the blue bay playa Dorado so its cheaper than a bus trip here.

1  Thank tscott12345
Reviewed January 13, 2014

After being in a 5 star resort with less than adequate food we were very pleased with the shrimp, lobster and rice at this restaurant. So much so that we visited the restaurant quite a few times through the week with our final stop en route to the airport! Great staff who speak and understand english.

1  Thank Slyandcarrie
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Described as "not fancy but a place where Dominicans go" by our concierge. Small unpretentious with palm bark ceiling. Staff speaks less than perfect english. Nice Chilean wines. Live lobsters in tanks. Would gladly return.