“Coco Bongo should be ashamed”
Review of Coco Bongo

Coco Bongo
Ranked #6 of 13 Nightlife in Puerto Plata
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Coco Bongo should be ashamed of having there name to a place like this. I not saying this is a bad night club I did have fun, but not the same fun I had in the one in Cancun.

This club has some pros and some cons which I will explain at the end of the review
It was only 5 to 10 min walk from my hotel which was good. The entry to the club is FREE which is good and the drinks were not too expensive which is good to.

I was in the Dom. Rep. during Canada/US spring break and 1 of the night the club was close off and it was only open to students. And the club did not give any head-ups to any of the hotel, there was a group of people in mid 20s who came in by taxi that got pretty mad because of it and the club did not pay them for there trouble. which I felt sorry for them.

This Coco Bongo is ONLY a night club, there was no shows ( The Mask and Spider-man mascot only came in once for the number of time I went in) not even a balloon and confetti drop before closing time.

the Pro list is: entry is free, drink not to expensive, it walking distance to most of the hotel. the DJ is pretty good

the Cons list is: not a true Coco Bongo, by 2am the Dominican people outnumber the tourist by 4 to 1 especial by Dominican men, they do not call hotels if they have private party.

overall this place is a fun night club but with a brand name of Coco Bongo you expect better

2  Thank WingZeroX

Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed at the Casa Colonial Hotel in the Playa Dorada complex so Coco Bongo was just a short walk away. We went there a couple of nights and found it disappointing. The music was typical disco style and few of the folks on the floor could do anything except shake everything!

We left after just an hour or so each time. For those willing to go further, I'd suggest trying out the Ocean World club (better music, nicer dance floor). Or if you decide to be really brave, go out to Rancho Tipico for a real authentic local experience -- it's music and dance all the way!

4  Thank SelectTraveler
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We were in the Dominican Republic for two weeks during May (group of 4 girls in our early 20s). We went to Coco Bongo 9 times during our stay! We went with Bluebay's animation crew about 4 or 5 times but we were more than happy to go by ourselves as well. We felt safe in there, dancing the night away!

The drinks are fairly expensive, but a bottle of water is 50pesos, which we thought was reasonable. Entry is free if you have a resort wristband.

The music (depending on the night) is usually a mixture of Spanish/Dominican music which people do merengue and salsa to, mixed in with more mainstream chart stuff (R&B, Hip Hop etc).

On quite a few nights when we were there they had a couple of dancers that would do their stuff up on a raised area. One of them was dressed as The Mask from the 1990s film and the other was dressed as Spiderman was he was really impressive - climbing on things and hanging from the ceiling!

With regard to the Dominican men - being 4 young girls - we had no problems what so ever. They were very friendly and would often ask you to dance (actually ask, which was nice), but if you don't want to dance, then they were fine with it. Honestly, no problems at all in Coco Bongo and I personally was happier dancing away there than in any of the big clubs in London!

Definitely recommend it - go with the flow and you will have a great time (especially if you are staying at Bluebay and go with either Eddy Murphy or James Bond!!)

2  Thank Cole3004
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Definitely the best club near the resorts, Spice is alright, but Coco Bongo on a Thursday night tears it up! Crazy costumes and bubbles everywhere!

The music's pretty good, and they treat tourists like royalty. I never bought drinks, but I heard that they were kinda expensive .. bargain them down, they probably try to rip you off at first.

Girls! Don't go without any guys, because there are a lot of dominican guys there, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's best to be on the safe side!

2  Thank AmandaaJoki
See more reviews
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We recently returned from Puerto Plata having stayed at Blue Bay Villas Doradas. It's a great place! We went to Coco Bongo twice with our resort's animation crew and had a good time both nights.

If you've been to Coco Bongo in Cancun, you'll likely find the experience at Puerto Plata to be very different. The Puerto Plata club is way smaller and extremely scaled down than the one in Cancun. But that didn't bother us. We enjoyed it for people watching as there were quite a few locals as well as tourists mingling and dancing the mambo. :)

Drinks were approximately $4 US and the bartenders were all very friendly. Admission is free for tourists with resort wrist bands.

Since our resort had a 24 hour beach bar but no disco we enjoyed our visits to Coco Bongo when we wanted a club vibe and some dancing. It's so close to the resorts in the Playa Dorada complex that if you don't enjoy yourself, you only have a short walk to get back to your hotel!

I would say it's a place geared to younger singles and upbeat couples. I have heard there are more authentic local bars to visit to get more of a cultural experience, but Coco Bongo is just fine for a nice of laid back fun!