“Lovely, beautiful, charming and a unique place to spend the night & day”

Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed February 7, 2011

My sister and I were going on the Conscious Breath Adventures (swimming with humpback whales on a live aboard) and needed a place to spend the night prior to getting on the boat and the last day when we docked, we had all day since our flight did not leave until late afternoon. Anis, the owner had us picked up from the airport, welcomed us with a cool drink. Included in our stay was a massage, facial, mani/pedi, mud bath, a horse ride through their organic garden followed by a 5 course organic lunch. Took us to the marina, picked us up a week later and had all the above again and then we were driven to the airport. We spent the entire day in robes that were provided. It was a wonderful transition before and after the rest of our trip.

Jonathan who is Anis's right hand man is charming, present and a lovely addition to her lovely staff.
Linda

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank kiwi1599

Reviewed February 6, 2011

My husband and I went for a full day Spa, and must say it was simply an amazing experience. The place is absolutely beautiful, Jonathon, our guide was very polite, funny and well mannered. He took us on the tour of the grounds, and I have never seen anything like it. All the different types of foods and herbs they are growing is pretty amazing. We did a short horse ride too, and I really must say these horses are well taken care of compared to some that I saw in Peurto Plata. You must remember it's not like Canada, I couldn't believe how the cows looked, but they were eating lots so they just look different. At one of the other hotels, there was horses pulling buggies and I can NOT believe how horrible they looked. I really think they (Jasmine Spa) looks after their animals. The massages were great. And again, just different then ours here, but I thought they were really good and I go in Canada a LOT and have had very bad massages. They girls were really polite, shy because they don't know a lot of English, but that is what happens when you go to a different Country. The clay bath at the natural springs was one of the highlights of the trip. We were in complete seclusion and it was exhilerating. We also had a facial and scalp treatment. The facial was really nice, all natural stuff. I love that they aren't trying to sell you everything under the sun. The scalp treatment was nice. The coconut oil did wonders to my hair. And the food was fantasic. Everything came from their garden (all the herbs and fruit and vegetables anyways) and my husband LOVED the carrot soup and he doesn't even LIKE carrots!!

The best part of the whole thing though was talking with Anis, the owner. What a one of a kind person. Her heart is just pure. She has done many good things for the community and she is just so full of wanting to help people. I would love to got back and actually stay at the spa for a few nights.

Even my husband enjoyed it (more than he will say! lol)! I made him go, but in the end he said he was glad he went too.

Our taxi ride was the only thing that wasn't good. Only because in Puerto Plata they have NO road rules like here and everyone drives as fast and crazy as they can! lol But that isn't the spas fault, that is just the way it is in that country. On our way home his car broke down so we had to way half an hour for him to go get a different vehicle. But he was kind and he got us to and from safely. Any of the other activities we did the driving was scary, so don't let that deter you from going to the Spa.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this to everyone. Its a natural and simple place, that has all the real beauty of the environment going for it. Everything just fit in with the environment instead of ruining it. It was a life changing expereience.

3  Thank JennNord
Reviewed February 5, 2011

After two days of touring and being bombarded by shopkeepers and "guides" trying to sell us stuff, it was delightful to get personal and unpressured treatment at Jasmine. We read reviews both before and after our trip, which was two weeks ago, and we have to say, it's all are true! We too were in the small, rickety car on terrible roads, and shared the trip with another couple (welcome to the DR). The other couple was lovely, and we enjoyed spending the day with them. The massage huts had amazing views, and what the masseuses lacked in technique they made for with their warmth and enthusiasm. Lunch was delicious, and included chicken (not veggie). The horses were in better shape than others we rode that week, and the mud bath and spring were an exceptional experience.

Overall, we definitely recommend. They don't take credit cards -- so plan ahead to have enough cash if you want to experience this lovely and special place.

1  Thank karen_n_fred
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We booked the hall day which is 140 dollars per person.
The driver came to pick us up with Jonathan..the guide (who was excellent)
The car was so old..and the road so awful.
We had a flat tire as the driver was in a big big hurry!
Anyway...we didn;t pay attention....as it awas an adventurous day
We arrived at Jasmine...a welcome juice was offered to us!
NOT FRESH....WITH SPARKLES
THEY HAVE SO MANY FRUITS AT THEIR GARDENS AND THE GAVE US BOTLLED JUICE.
The location is nice...in the jungle but the don't keep it clean.
Jonathan...an excellent and polite person showed us their gardens....
Many beautiful flowers but many trash all over.
Cans-papers-etc
Horses are very stinky , they smell bad and they are in a bad condition.
They are not well fed and they look exhausted!
i felt sorry for them.
Then we went fot the massage..
The masagge spots are like wooden tree houses in the jungle, which was really good as you can hear bird sounds!!
But the therapists are not real masseurs.
The don't know anything.
Random moves and not not real massage.
It's a same...they earn much money...they could have trained them.
The facial was also nothing.
Just a cream and 5 minutes facial massage.
15minutes in total.
The mub baths were fine...we really enjoyed them.
The food was also good.
But i would prefer to keep my money for something else.
Not worth it

3  Thank c0wb0y83
Anni2007, Manager at Jasmine Spa and Wellness, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Glad you agree that our location is nice, our Massage Rooms were really good , as you could hear bird sounds when you were being massaged, Jonathan, our guide was excellent and that you enjoyed the food and Mud bath

Our juices are made fresh, as you could see that we have lots of fruits and vegetables on our 40 acres of land. We have four people that are dedicated to maintaining and cleaning the grounds of Jasmine Spa and Wellness.

All our Massage Therapist are professional trained and deliver excellent massages and spa treatment.

We have changed the Taxi service that we had when you had come to Jasmine Spa and Wellness.

Our Half Day Spa ($89.00 US) does not include lunch and Spa treatment, you were at Jasmine Spa and Wellness for a Full Day Spa. Day Spa is $125.00 US and $15.00 transportation from Playa Dorada complex.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Que Dios le Bendiga Siempre...
May God bless you always ...

Anis Kara, RMT

Reviewed January 26, 2011

I want to start by saying we have traveled all over the world and had massages in many places from upscale spa's to simple huts. We booked the full day and left early. Here is why?
The day did not start well. We were met at our hotel, Casa Colonial, in a very old car with 2 women already on board. My husband immediately said I am not going but for me he did. My husband is 6'5" and could hardly fit in the back. The woman up front would not sit in the back because she got car sick. The trip was 35 minutes of rocky road with a driver who was in a hurry for some reason. A very uncomfortable ride. We needed a massage after that ride.
When we arrived no one was there to meet us only a girl who spoke very little English. We went for a massage in a hut that offered beautiful views. Mine was good my husbands terrible. I must say we are spoiled as having been fortunate enough to have had massages all over the world as I said.
The location of the place is beautiful. If you like the mountains being far from the beaches or anything for that matter. I could not see spending the night or several.
When we finished our message There was no one around to help direct us from there. I was to do the mud bath and had no idea what or where to go. There was a young man who spoke no English but was nice enough to take me down and try to explain what to do.
By the way I am in my 50's and in good shape. The climb up for me was fine but someone not in shape would have a hard time (like my husband). He did not go.
All in all Jonathan was the best part of the experience, he was kind enough to show my husband around while I was mud bathing and doing who knows what.
The accommodations were by no means quality but if you are looking for an earthy simplistic place with nice views and want to help the local people, which we did, this is the place.

5  Thank NikiC
Anni2007, Owner at Jasmine Spa and Wellness, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Member.
We would like to thank-you for visiting Jasmine Spa and Wellness, so happy to hear that you thought that Jonathan was best part of your experience in this beautiful location in the Mountains. We do our utmost to maintain the natural land that Mother nature has created.

Jonathan is our host and from the time our guests enter Jasmine Spa and Wellness he is with them, he explains to our guests what and how one’s Day will be with us. Jonathan also asks clients for anything they like or dislike and special note is taken and followed.

We outsource transportation to Taxi service, and as soon as guests let us know of their experience we take action. Our Guests are very important to us.

I am so happy that you are a world traveller and in good shape. At Jasmine Spa and Wellness we have easy and difficult paths to the Mud pool and Fresh Water Pool, we let our Guests make their choice of what path they want to walk.

You had booked a Full Day Spa, your husband and you had your massages, and spa treatment, mud pool, swim in Fresh Water pool, organic tour, and hiking all in the morning and just before sitting down to lunch you asked to leave. You told us that your husband had forgotten his medication. We had to pay extra for your Taxi ride back. Our Organic Lunch was cooked and ready to be served when you left. And when you left, you paid us for a Half Day Spa, after enjoying all the serves for a Day Spa Pkg, except for the lunch that was ready.
We followed up with an email to make sure that your husband was alright, all because we care.

Que Dios le Bendiga Siempre...
May God bless you always ...

Anis Kara, RMT

Reviewed January 21, 2011

My husband and I rented Villa Rosada near Cabarete and found the brochure for Jasmine Spa in our home. It looked wonderful and the reviews were fabulous. Since we had several days of rain, I e-mailed the spa to try and get an appointment next day. I corresponded with the owner Anis via e-mail (although we were later told Anis was in Dubai she was very responsive) and we paid via paypal for the next day at the spa. We were in a rented home outside of town so it was really nice that they came to pick us up and drop us back off!
We arrived after quite a fun drive through town and into the mountains and were greeted by Jonathon who was very friendly and accommodating. We had to share a room with another couple for changing but we understood since guests were arriving later in the day to stay over at the spa. We were then taken for our massages in thatched-roofed huts with beautiful views. The massage was very nice. We then had facials and I had a pedicure. I would have liked a robe between tyreatments. We ended our treatments and went to explore the gardens and take a horseback ride. After the ride (which was a little scary, the saddle was loose and the straps too long for my feet) we had 5 course lunch made with ingredients grown on the grounds of the spa. Following lunch, we got a tour of the beautiful property. The best and most beautiful part was the mud bath in the waterfall pools. Very cold, but not to be missed! We felt pampered and relaxed before heading back. This is not a 5 star resort spa but rather has natural beauty and kind people. Take the time to enjoy it and relax—just breathe. A full day at the spa and we headed back to our home relaxed knowing we had just experienced something very special.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Beginning with the trip to Jasmine, which was a great way to see the countryside, we had a great day. We were a group of 8, representing 3 generations and we all had a wonderful time. Jonathan was enthusiastic, funny and made sure that we were comfortable and well informed throughout the day. Massages were very well done and relaxing, and it was a lot of fun to be in what felt like a treehouse with members of our family getting pedicures and facials together. Lunch was by far the best meal we had all week in the DR. Really recommend this.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family