WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Jasmine Spa and Wellness

Jasmine Spa and Wellness
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Beautiful day at Jasmine Spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We booked a day at the spa through our Nolitours Rep. and had the best time. It's nestled in the mountains and you're treated with the utmost hospitality as soon as you arrive - the grounds are gorgeous; the view is breathtaking; food was delicious; massage was awesome and the people were amazing. Excellent way to my spend birthday.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Karma H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This spa is the perfect complement to a beach go-ers vacation. I went here with a friend during our stay in Puerto Plata and let me tell you we were SUPER impressed. The whole idea is that the owner (who is really friendly by the way, and Canadian) is a massage therapist and started the place as a way to give back to the community. What a find! We were pampered upon arrival with fresh guava juice.

The highlight of this experience for me was the mud bath. I have never experienced anything like this before and it was fantastic. The lunch was also a welcome change from the typical resort food. The best part of the meal is the attention to detail and the owner gave us an explanation of why certain items were chosen.

Overall, excellent experience.

Recommended for: people looking for a "retreat" style excursion and are in Puerto Plata, couples, newlyweds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NadirPT
Blind River, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

One of the most idyllic places I have visited. Staff were amazing, massages were perfect as was the mud bath. I would recommend travellilng to the Dominican just to do this!

We had a good vacation though everything had felt so busy that going into the mountains to this spa on our last day was perfect. We needed the quiet and peace that we found at the spa. Surrounded by nature, birds and the sound of a waterfall, it was perfect.

Sampled many local herbs and fruits, very interesting, the tequila cucumber - my new favourite fruit. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amber T
Lachute, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic from March 10th to 17th 2012. On March 13th, we visited the Jasmine Spa and Wellness Centre on a full-day tour. They picked us up at the resort (Blue Bay - loads of fun!) and brought us right to the spa. We were met with a tantalising glass of fresh orange juice (I suspect there may have been some yummy pineapple in there too!) - the best juice I had so far in the trip! They organised our group of eleven really well, some went for a massage right away, while others went to the spring, and others toured the gardens.

It had rained the night before, so the ground was a little muddy, I did well in my Birkenstocks, but I'd recommend possibly packing better shoes for getting around the Jasmine Spa. I loved visiting the animals and was so glad that homeless pups Mogo and Julia had found a safe home!

My boyfriend and I then had our chance for hour long massages! I loved being outside with my soulmate, the sound of the wind and the birds. The ladies performing the massages are tough chicks! They find and destroy sore spots and knots! Phew! We had a gorgeous and beautiful lunch and had our final treatment - my guy had the head massage, which he enjoyed and I had a facial, which I liked very much and found very restful.

My favourite part has to be the hidden fresh water spring. You are given clay to scrub onto your body, let dry, and then you ease into the spring. My guy found it cold, but I found it just fine! After this magical day, my guy spontaneously proposed marriage to me! We're getting married! Maybe the love and pampering we experienced at Jasmine Spa had something to do with it? ;)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Persephoneo
Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband and I went here for the day. This spa made our trips. The people who run it are wonderful and the food is excellent. This place is run by a Canadian family and they really understand what you want when you go to a spa. The prices for this spa was cheaper then anything in the resorts, and the service from begining to end was first quality. You will leave this place, so at peace and relaxed. Go for the day tour it's the best. My husband really didn't think he would enjoy it being a man, but he now talks about it to people more then I do. I have been to alot of spa's in Canada and in other places and this place really tops them all. This place is a must go to on your trip to Puerto Plata.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Lori_Cooper2012
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I (reluctantly) agreed to accompany my wife to Jasmine Spa while we on vacation in February 2012. My negative attitude had nothing to do with Jasmine Day Spa, and everything to do with my "big, tough guy" image that I was so desperately hanging on to.

From the moment we arrived I realized how mistaken I was. We rode in with Jonathan - our guide, who is a very nice young man intent on making you as comfortable with the spa as possible. We met the owner, Anis, who had only just arrived back in country the day before. I believe it is important to mention that Anis and Jasmine Day Spa are very caring, and constantly give back to the community the spa is located in. They help the local school children with materials for school, and have helped others with money to pay for advanced studies, among others. There is almost a missionary type of atmosphere that Anis has created with the neighbors of Jasmine Day Spa. Way to go Anis! After getting acquainted with Jonathan, Anis and the rest of the staff, we proceeded on a walking tour of the grounds.

The spa itself is situated high in the mountains, overlooking the Dominican coastline. The views are simply inspiring. Jonathan explained the various herbs and other assorted plants they grow there, and anytime we passed a fruit bearing tree, he was quick to get us a tasty sample right from the source. These folks grow virtually everything available on the island, right on the grounds.

As we began our services - I had a wonderful massage - I began to realize that I was in the right place to recuperate from the full day of horseback riding the day before. I never felt uncomfortable, and the calm breeze coming through the open hut style of massage room added to my relaxation. By the time my skillful masseuse finished, I was reduced to a lump of happy flesh. Hey, I was finally beginning to understand why my wife loves these upper-end types of spas!

Clearly, lunch was prepared with caring hands. The chefs at Jasmine had created a beautiful and delectable offering using the fruits and vegetables gathered from the spa grounds. I'm not usually a very picky eater, but I came away from this experience wanting to judge everything else we ate during the remainder of our vacation by what we had at Jasmine (Jasmine wins again!)

We finished out with a unique mud bath in a pool that is fed by a natural stream that flows in and around the Jasmine compound. The crisp water is a very refreshing way to end the experience at Jasmine.

I would recommend this spa to everyone - don't miss the opportunity to be pampered at this perfect gem of a spa!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chuck Q
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Our day trip to the Jasmine Spa was the highlight of our week long vacation in the DR. We discovered this spa through reading other peoples reviews on Trip Advisor. While at the spa we had massages (plus the option of manicure, pedicure, facial or head massage), a walk around the botanical gardens, a horseback ride, a five-course meal made with fresh ingredients from the garden and had a mud bath in natural spring water pools with waterfalls. We also had the chance to meet the owner and her two children who were visiting from Ottawa. The owner’s story of how the spa came to be was inspiring to hear. We learned that 100% of the staff were hired and trained from a local village and that the spa gives money to the local school for supplies and books. This place is not commercialized and they don’t believe in spending $$$ on advertising. It’s somewhat exclusive given the fact that they only allow 8 people for a full day and 4 people for a half day. If you are planning to go to the Jasmine Spa and also want to help support the local village, email them ahead of time and find out what is needed by the children (e.g., school supplies).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple