“My magical hillside home away from home”

Jasmine Spa and Wellness
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto
“My magical hillside home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

This wonderful place in the clouds was recommended by a dear friend.
She described the vista's the flora, the fauna, the treatment rooms, the pool, the fresh foods and juices and the people who would be looking after me.
2 weeks of healing both body and soul were what I had in mind and that is exactly what I got when I arrived at this hidden gem, Jasmine Spa in Tubagua.
I had a beautifully appointed room with a very comfortable bathroom (loved the shower). My mornings began with a lovely breakfast (yummy oatmeal cooked a la Dominican style or if I had wished any version of eggs , toast, sausages etc ) taken in the dining room looking out to the range across the valley. Fresh fruit juice, coffee and a holistic concoction of neem leaves and fresh lime juice were also on offer. Then I was led down the path to the treatment rooms.There is nothing that equals the peace and harmony of hearing the breeze in the trees and feeling the fresh breeze on my skin while having any one of the different style massages offered by the very able and caring staff. After the massage I was free to go for walks down to the pool or through the gardens.
The pool is a magical place ...it's where I found the time and the solitude in nature to heal my soul. Lunch was always an occasion. Most of the ingredients for all the meals are grown from their own gardens resulting in very tasty food enticingly presented. Beautiful fresh squeezed juices ...papaya, lime, passion fruit or mixed fruit juice were always available. Dessert was always a surprise fruit sorbet.
After lunch a lazy hour swinging on the hammock, reading in my oh so comfortable bed or just snoozing till the next round of pampering. i.e. a facial or a manicure or a pedicure. After that another session in the pool that heals (that's my name for it) and then a therapeutic ultrasound treatment on my back and legs. It was the utmost in pampering. The staff could not do enough to make me comfortable and happy. My every wish was their command.
The 2 weeks flew by much quicker than I had anticipated. I had arrived somewhat nervous, in much pain and quite stressed. I left Jasmine spa so very thankful for having being given the opportunity to experience a magical 14 days. I left calmer, more relaxed and confident that my journey to wellness had finally begun. Thank you Tasheen, Ronny, Jonathan, Renee, Maria, Morena, Odelinda, Ani, Radeson, Andreson, Senora Catherina, Papi, Domingo and finally Anis without whom this magical experience would not have been possible for me.I hope to be back. Gracias y Besos para todos!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank seekinghealthToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Well were does one start. A very dear friend told me about this heavenly place in the Dominican Republic, and my trip was sold.. I arrived to the wonderful place and was greeted by such warm, kind beautiful people.. I knew as soon as i arrived i was going to enjoy this dream experience. I couldnt imagine i was going to feast my eyes on such beauty, every which way i turned it took my breath away. The treatments were second to none, the food was heavenly, presentation 100%.. To miss slipping into this beautiful retreat,which is hid away up a mountain in the Dominican Republic, one as never lived ! My stay was for 5 days my memory a life time.. Thanks to all the wonderful people that made a dream become reality x Michelle Walch

Room Tip: no tip required, all good
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank 187062Michelle
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

This is my second time at the spa and it just keeps getting better, Jonathon the new manager was awesome and toured us though the organic gardens and the massages were the best, the natural habitant is amazing and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RonandCrystal
Winter Haven, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

We did the full day spa treatment. It was wonderful, started the day with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, an hour relaxation massage, tour of the beautiful gardens and facility, horseback riding. They fixed us a 5 course gourmet lunch, it was wonderful. Then a mud bath and dip in the waterfall springs. Then for our second treatment your choice of a pedicure, manicure, facial or scalp massage. Everything was organized so perfectly you felt like we were the only one there. Jonathon was a great host. Anyone who has a chance to spend a day or more here would be greatful for the opportunity.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kfonte
Santa Fe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

My sister and I were going on the Conscious Breath Adventures (swimming with humpback whales on a live aboard) and needed a place to spend the night prior to getting on the boat and the last day when we docked, we had all day since our flight did not leave until late afternoon. Anis, the owner had us picked up from the airport, welcomed us with a cool drink. Included in our stay was a massage, facial, mani/pedi, mud bath, a horse ride through their organic garden followed by a 5 course organic lunch. Took us to the marina, picked us up a week later and had all the above again and then we were driven to the airport. We spent the entire day in robes that were provided. It was a wonderful transition before and after the rest of our trip.

Jonathan who is Anis's right hand man is charming, present and a lovely addition to her lovely staff.
Linda

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank kiwi1599
Grande Prairie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

My husband and I went for a full day Spa, and must say it was simply an amazing experience. The place is absolutely beautiful, Jonathon, our guide was very polite, funny and well mannered. He took us on the tour of the grounds, and I have never seen anything like it. All the different types of foods and herbs they are growing is pretty amazing. We did a short horse ride too, and I really must say these horses are well taken care of compared to some that I saw in Peurto Plata. You must remember it's not like Canada, I couldn't believe how the cows looked, but they were eating lots so they just look different. At one of the other hotels, there was horses pulling buggies and I can NOT believe how horrible they looked. I really think they (Jasmine Spa) looks after their animals. The massages were great. And again, just different then ours here, but I thought they were really good and I go in Canada a LOT and have had very bad massages. They girls were really polite, shy because they don't know a lot of English, but that is what happens when you go to a different Country. The clay bath at the natural springs was one of the highlights of the trip. We were in complete seclusion and it was exhilerating. We also had a facial and scalp treatment. The facial was really nice, all natural stuff. I love that they aren't trying to sell you everything under the sun. The scalp treatment was nice. The coconut oil did wonders to my hair. And the food was fantasic. Everything came from their garden (all the herbs and fruit and vegetables anyways) and my husband LOVED the carrot soup and he doesn't even LIKE carrots!!

The best part of the whole thing though was talking with Anis, the owner. What a one of a kind person. Her heart is just pure. She has done many good things for the community and she is just so full of wanting to help people. I would love to got back and actually stay at the spa for a few nights.

Even my husband enjoyed it (more than he will say! lol)! I made him go, but in the end he said he was glad he went too.

Our taxi ride was the only thing that wasn't good. Only because in Puerto Plata they have NO road rules like here and everyone drives as fast and crazy as they can! lol But that isn't the spas fault, that is just the way it is in that country. On our way home his car broke down so we had to way half an hour for him to go get a different vehicle. But he was kind and he got us to and from safely. Any of the other activities we did the driving was scary, so don't let that deter you from going to the Spa.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this to everyone. Its a natural and simple place, that has all the real beauty of the environment going for it. Everything just fit in with the environment instead of ruining it. It was a life changing expereience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JennNord
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

After two days of touring and being bombarded by shopkeepers and "guides" trying to sell us stuff, it was delightful to get personal and unpressured treatment at Jasmine. We read reviews both before and after our trip, which was two weeks ago, and we have to say, it's all are true! We too were in the small, rickety car on terrible roads, and shared the trip with another couple (welcome to the DR). The other couple was lovely, and we enjoyed spending the day with them. The massage huts had amazing views, and what the masseuses lacked in technique they made for with their warmth and enthusiasm. Lunch was delicious, and included chicken (not veggie). The horses were in better shape than others we rode that week, and the mud bath and spring were an exceptional experience.

Overall, we definitely recommend. They don't take credit cards -- so plan ahead to have enough cash if you want to experience this lovely and special place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple