“Unique and very homey and comfortable with great staff and yummy food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Portes 9

Hotel Portes 9
Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Mont Tremblant, Canada
“Unique and very homey and comfortable with great staff and yummy food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

Our daughter had recommended that we stay at Coco Boutique Hotel, because she had stayed there numerous times, and knew that we would feel safe and comfortable. She was able to join us for a dinner there one of the nights, and we enjoyed it on the rooftop terrace.

The staff served a lovely breakfast, and the reception area and bar were very cozy. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere as we checked our e-mails and planned our walking tours of Santo Domingo.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

Very cute hotel, very good breakfasts, friendly staff, nice owner, but a very bad choice if you want to sleep.

On reservation, I had asked if the room was quiet, the owner told me yes, which is far from the truth. When I complained, the owner argued that Santo Domingo is a very noisy city, but I am writing this review in another hotel, just one block from the Coco and everything is quiet here.

There was dogs barking all night just behind the hotel. Staff going up and down the metal stairs all the time. I agreed mostly all the complains of the previous review. First night I got a room smaller than my closet and could barely stand up if I opened my small suitcase. The shower was broken and instead of being repaired, was simply fixed with gaffer tape (!!!).

The room was extremely noisy as it is below a metal staircase and staff goes up and down all the time. I could not sleep on the first night. The nice owners changed my room the following night.

Very nicely decorated, but then again, very very noisy. With dogs barking all night and staff going up and down all the time. This is a very very small hotel, only 5 rooms and there is a bar on top of it, but the alcohol and food is on the first floor, so the staff is always running up and down . From the rooms, you hear everything that goes on the bar.

One night the staff moved furniture and stuff down the stairs after 2am. crazy. I have been to countless hotels before, and this one a) has among the best breakfast I tried, b) is very cute, and c) the noisiest ever.

It is to note that this hotel also has no safe in room, something you really want in Dominican Republic, and that the locks on the door are cheap toilet locks. Many time during the day, there is nobody downstairs and anyone can walk up from the street and go upstairs to your room. Very bad security.

Like the previous review, I also checkout early Also like the previous review, I had put a Do not disturb sign on the door, but the maid came in anyway.

On check out, I found multiple items I did not order on my bill, multiplications were seriously off, and then they added without telling me a 10% surcharge for service (good service from the maid and staff, but I do like to be informed when the service is on top of the bill, and I like to choose how much I pay)

Overall, nice little hotel if you don't want to sleep. Check your invoice carefully. Definitively does not deserve its high ranking.

Cheers!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank RoamingG
, Owner at Hotel Portes 9, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Thank you for your review for Coco Boutique Hotel. We will do our best to improve in the areas that you have mentioned. Nevertheless, we would like to make the following clarifications in reference to your review.
Upon making your booking over the phone, you requested a quiet room in the hotel. You also requested a single room at US $80/night and requested a discount since you were staying for 7 nights. We gave you a 15% discount. Upon your arrival you complained that the room you had booked was too small for you and we moved you to another larger room with no additional charge, although the price for this room is higher.
Coco Boutique Hotel has a restaurant and bar on the roof open from 6pm to 11pm every day. This is an area that most of our clients enjoy. However as you mentioned to me personally, you had come to Santo Domingo to sleep and we did our best to accommodate you, cleaning your room past the cleaning ladies working hours, giving you breakfast way past the breakfast hours (between 13:30 and 15:30 everyday ). It is obvious that this effort on our part was not valued by you.
Regarding the shower, this has already been replaced for a new one.
Regarding the noise factor, unfortunately, we may not be the best option if you plan to sleep the entire day, as the hotel is a public space, where other guests use the areas on the roof to sit in the sun, use the stairs to access their rooms, have breakfast in the morning, etc, etc. Additionally, the hotel must be cleaned and maintained by our cleaning staff during the day which involves once again activity in the hotel. Again in the evenings guests have dinner on our roof and they need to be attended.
Santo Domingo and the Colonial Zone in particular is a busy area, as it is the center of the capital of the Dominican Republic, which means, dogs barking, people walking by and talking, in summary life going on around us. Coco Boutique Hotel has a priviledged location in the middle of a pedestrian park with no passing traffic. In other previous reviews many guests have mentioned how quiet and relaxing the hotel is.
Regarding the safe, 3 of our 5 rooms have safes in the rooms, we offer these rooms to guests who request a room with a safe. Had you mentioned your need for a safe when making the reservation, we would have more than gladly offered you one of these rooms.
Regarding your bill the reason there were mistakes on it is was because you mentioned your desire to check-out early 10 minutes before actually leaving the hotel, therefore having to prepare your invoice quickly which lead to the mistakes you mention. Nevertheless, we apologise for the inconvenience and immediately modified the bill. Regarding the 10% tax this only applies to the food you had in the restaurant and not to the breakfasts and stay. This is a legal service tax which is clearly mentioned in the menu.
Coco Boutique Hotel is a relaxing oasis in a sometimes chaotic and fascinating city. However if you are looking for a place to sleep all day maybe Santo Domingo is not the best choice of city, rather an exciting city to discover and enjoy. Again thank you for your input.
Elizabeth Mavrikis
Madrid, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

I had a dental problem during my flight. When I arrived in the hotel, I asked for a dentist. They called one, called a taxi a sent me to a place where there were many clinics... all closed. They didn´t even tell me the doctor´s name.
My room was rather small and the shower was cracked. It had some kind of yellow silicone that looked awful.
The air conditioning only worked at maximum high speed and it was noisy.
At check-out they tried to charge me tax although I had a letter stating the grand total. It took forever (same as during check-in) and in the end they were kind enough to refund the taxi expense to the clinic and tax. I just don´t feel I had to ask for it, to be honest.
Since I had an early departure, I asked if I could have breakfast at 7. The cook told me that there was no problem. When I went downstairs, nothing was ready and the clerk insisted that breakfast was after 8. I knew that and that´s why I asked.
Staff is polite but clearly not knowleadgeable. They had to call the boss for everything. Didn´t even know how to place the hotel on the map.
They advertise turn-down service. It didn´t happen once.
I went sightseeing and after 5 hours when I returned, my room hadn´t been serviced. I placed a do not disturb sign on the door and the maid knocked 1 one after arrival to do my room.
The chillout area was closed the first day.
Very bad coordination that leads to constant disappointments. Although the location is good and their web leads to believe you are in a relaxing place, reality tells me you are better off elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank vfv1964
, Manager at Hotel Portes 9, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Thank you for your review. We will be sure to use your comments to improve our service as our main goal is to keep our guests happy and provide outstanding service.
Regarding your review there are some issues that we would like to clarify. In reference to your dental problem, we offer 24 hour medical service in the hotel to all our guests to assist any medical problems unfortunately this insurance does not offer dental coverage. We did our best, however to guide you to the closest clinic having been informed that there was dental assistance available at this clinic. We did our best to assist you but are not responsible for guests health problems. Regardless of this we paid for your taxi to the clinic after your complaint to the reception and your comment about us trying to overcharge you for the taxi. Please be reminded that the taxi we sent you in from the hotel charged you RD$150 pesos ( US $4) and left you there. You then got a taxi by yourself. This of course is not our responsibility. Regardless we still paid you RD $400 that you demanded for the taxi.
Regarding air-conditioning, you did not inform us of your problem neither with the speed nor with the noise. Our air-conditioning units receive maintenance on a monthly basis and we have received no complaints about neither noise nor speed in the past.
During check-out you were supposed to be charged 16% tax because you wanted to pay with a credit card. In step 4 of the reservation process it is clearly stated that tax is not included. We do however ignore tax when payments are made in cash. Once again, after your complaint we decided to wave the tax.
Breakfast in Coco Boutique Hotel is served from 8:00 am to 10am. We make small exceptions occasionally to try and please our guests and be flexible. Unfortunately you informed the chef who works at night of your need to have an early breakfast and he was not the right person to inform as he works night shift and has no contact with morning staff. Had you informed the receptionist we would have done our best to please you although breakfast at 7am is not available as our morning staff start work at 7:30.
Regarding your room not being serviced, you forget to mention that you left a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door before leaving and when you returned the cleaning team asked you so as to confirm that you did not want cleaning and you said that did not want your room to be cleaned.
The chill out area was not closed the day of your arrival, rather it had been raining that day and was temporarily being conditioned and dried. It opened one hour after your arrival. (7:30 pm).
Again we regret for your negative experience in Coco Boutique Hotel. We will do our best to improve in the areas that you have mentioned and hope to have at least satisfied your requests by the multiple economic discounts we gave you. Judging by other reviews written by you for other hotels it is obvious that you are a demanding customer and we appreciate your input as this helps to put both our hotel and service offered to the test.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Coco Boutique hotel for seven nights duing my visit to Santo Domingo. As somone who travels 60% of the year I have had my fair share of hotel stays all over the world. Coco Boutique is at the top of my list for experience as well as value.

Upon arriving I was greeted by both the owner Eduardo and his wife Liz. Both were friendly and welcoming and treated me as if I was a family member who had arrived at their home. The check-in process was quick and accurate. We were immediately escorted to our room and it was exactly what we had been expecting. Throughout the week my interaction with them was limited but they were always there to make sure we were having a good time, offering locations to eat and providing the ultimate in service. Basically they and the staff provided great great great service but they weren't in your face.

We had the silver musk room on the front side of the hotel. This is technically a single room but was spacious enough to accommodate both of us. It is, as mentioned in other reviews, smaller than your average US hotel room, however I was never at any point lacking basic needs. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms spacious, the air conditioner efficient and the closet big enough to fit luggage and clothes I had brought for 11 days. A few things to note, there is no TV in the room and any room on that side of the hotel may have a little noise from the crowds that gather outside in the park.

The hotel itself is gorgeous. Everything is decorated so nice and you feel like you are in a South Beach hotel. The upstairs rooftop terrace is spacious, comfortable and has wonderful views of the city, port and ocean. I spent a lot of time up there relaxing, reading a book and enjoying a drink. The hotel is located in a small cul de sac on a quiet street in the Colonial Zone. Very safe and within walking distance of three blocks to Calle el Conde where there are restaurants and shops and many other tourists. The hotel is always staffed and they keep the doors locked at night. Each individual room also has its own lock (contrary to an earlier review posted below) and key access is limited to yourself and the hotel staff.

A few tips. Skip the cafe a few doors down Blu Limon. It is no longer a tapas place and the prices although reasonable for US dollars are pricey in the DR. Go down a few streets and you will find some more authentic and cost worthy food places. The Zona Colonial is very walkable so skip taxis if you can. There were times that I had to walk the streets alone when my boyfriend had to go to work. Although I never felt unsafe, I did get cat called a lot. I would advise that anyone walking alone just use basic common sense and make sure you are aware of your surroundings, do not walk with your headphones on and always keep your valuables close and hidden away if possible.

I travel to Santo Domingo often and this place really has the top service and value. I would recommend this hotel to solo travelers and romantic couples much more than I would families, especially those with small children. I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Southern Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2010

We stayed here 2 seperate nights in 2 different rooms this Dec. The was easy to find and a great location with secure parking available. The hotel sits atop a hill overlooking a quaint plaza and the Caribbean Sea. It is also beside the historic Calle de Las Damas and the old fort. The terraza (terrace) was absolutely amazing! Book the larger room if you are not used to smaller euro-sized rooms.

• Stayed December 2010
full time rver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

This hotel...5 rooms is just wonderful. Where it is located you can't really beat the area...very quite and at the same time very near to many things downtown. If you want to have a romantic get away ...be in the old section of town, and no TV, this is it. They do however have free WiFi if you don't want to be too romantic.

Elizabeth (Irish) and Edwardo (Portuguese) are just wonderful hosts....and very interested in helping us out....i had numerous doc appointments.

great little bar and restaurant(the Spoon). Also want to say the chef (from Spain) is just a wonderful chef....
Had an opportunity to go to the Spoon Restaurant's open house and the people were just great.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bamberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

Stayed at the Coco Boutique Hotel one night before heading to La Romana for a week. My BF stayed two nights. We had the Morning Dew room which was all white and lovely! Small, by US standards- but ever so lovely. Bathroom was adequate with a large shower, and incredible smelling bath products (shampoo, gel, etc.) that i wish i had taken with me!
While the room is small, you don't have to stay in there. The rooftop bar was undergoing renovations, but downstairs is a very welcoming lobby. The entire place is soo beautifully decorated as well. Please see their website for VERY accurate photos.
The BEST thing about this hotel, and it's been mentioned before - was Eduardo, the owner. He was sooo accomodating and friendly! He greeted us outside the door when I arrived from the airport (note: I also used the car service from the hotel arranged via their website. the driver was totally on time and reliable!) He gave us great suggestions for places to go, eat, etc. and even a bodega to have a beer at for a true Dominican experience.
Lovely, lovely hotel. Lovely staff. If I end up in Santo Domingo again, I will absolutely stay there.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple