All reviewszona colonialcalle las damasquiet streetbreakfast was deliciouswithin easy walking distanceisabelplazacathedral
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed in Coco BoutiqueHotel for three days. After 2 weeks visiting Dominican Republic we decidedspend some time in Santo Domingo. We drove from Pedernales(south DR), and after5 hours driving and exhausted when we checked in Coco Boutique Hotel was likearriving in a oasis. The Hotel has a minimal decoration that make you feel in aperfect place. Quite, calm and relaxing. The hotel is located in a pedestrianpark and there is an amazing ocean view from the rooftop.

We stayed in the Black Vanilla room. Thisroom has a beautiful decoration with an African style exactly as we expected.a/c, ceiling fan and wifi access for free. The bathroom has all the amenitiesthat you need (soaps, gel, body cream,etc.)

Breakfast is simply amazing, fresh fruit,German bread, bagels, croissants, ham, cheese, eggs, etc. With this fullbreakfast you can skip lunch.

The rooftop is a restaurant lounge(Spoon)that serves Mediterranean food. The service is excellent and the food isdelicious. After a day walking under the sun , finish the day enjoying a drinkand dinner in the rooftop with anocean view, was like a dream.

Now we are back in Portugal we are stilltalking about this wonderful place.

It was exactly what we needed to finishour trip around Dominican Republic, a place like Coco Boutique Hotel, Nicestaff, good service. We felt likebeing home, and we hope to go back some day.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mariza C
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This place was great for all of the reasons others mention: atmosphere, location, attention to detail, attentive staff, and the roof.

However, there were two key things that negatively affected our stay here: 1) our shower had no water pressure--it was just a trickle (though our friends who stayed in other rooms didn't have this problem; our room was the gold-themed one); and 2) noise. Several of the rooms' windows face the laundry/food preparation area in the courtyard, which means that there is very audible noise after midnight and starting early in the morning. And the rooms' thin doors open right on to the staircase landing, (the hotel is a small, converted house), so you can hear anyone who walks up and down.

Aside from this we loved Coco Boutique in every way.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Coco Boutique Hotel so much... From breakfast and morning coffee served on a beautifully arranged table to reading newspapers and relaxing on the hotel terrace overlooking the park... to having a delicious dinner...
Every room has a unique design and feeling to it...

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SaraDumas
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I found this hotel by search engine, my husband and I were looking for a privately owned boutique style hotel for one night in the Colonial district.

We were looking for something small and romantic, I thought by the information and images on their website this hotel would tick all the boxes.

I read the previous "meh" review and saw that all the other reviews were glowing recommendations so thought perhaps "meh" was a fussy customer.

First impressions were good, the entrance and reception area were nice. The hotel is a house conversion with high ceilings and modern minimalist decor.

However after being shown to our room, which was titled 'Winter Dew' on the web site I realised that the place needed a fresh lick of paint, dirty hand prints on walls, and a total bathroom remodel.

The bathrrom looked like the original from being a private house. Shabby fittings, the shower tray and doors were really quite dirty with black mould. The towels had seen better days and were grey.

I have travelled extensively throughout Central America and this bathroom was on a par with a guest house in a one horse town in Peru.

It just seemed such a shame that the owners had gone to so much trouble to style the house and neglected the bathrooms - budget decision I guess.

I then remembered that the bathrooms weren't featured on the website - well maybe represented a generic photo store image of a spa towel and an orchid... It kind of made sense they wouldn't show the bathrooms.

For $100 it was steep. I was hoping for something a little more chic. The website is misleading.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2011

So let me first say that I wasn't expecting the Ritz when I stayed here...

We took an 8 day trip top the D.R. for fun and decided to start in Santo Domingo and then head to Cabarete. When we checked in we were pleased with the lobby and the service we received. The staff was mostly friendly (one exception here) and we were ready to settle in after our long trip. We reserved a double room as we were two people. The room we got isn't even picture on their site with the fabulous pictures....It was through a patio and to the left...the only room on the bottom floor from what I can tell. It looked like ti was an afterthought.

Now for the room: The mattress on the bed was terrible and buckled inward when you laid on it. So we basically spent the 2 nights we were here smooshed together in the middle of the mattress. the bathroom was clean, but when my boyfriend took a shower his foot actually pushed through the bottom...Also, unless you are 7 foot tall you will need to remove the shower head and use it as a hand held device. The celing fan in the room was so noisy and rattly that it woke me up multiple times in the night

The rooftop terrace is beautiful, but on our 2nd day there they had a wedding...which would have been fine if they had facilities for the wedding. Instead the ceremony (chairs, etc.) was set up in the lobby so we would have to basically go through the ceremony to leave. The reception was on the rooftop terrace and though you could still go up...it felt like we were intruding. It would have been nice to be warned about this so we could decide accordingly, but instead we happened to find out from another guest the morning of the wedding. This also meant that I had to move from the lobby (where the wifi works the best for my work laptop) as I was in the way of setup.

Instead of staying the 4 nights we booked we departed after 2 (which is MORE than enough to see the area the hotel is in, which is basically neighborhood). Calling our next hotel in Cabarete to extend our stay and headed to the bus station to get the heck out of dodge...

I will say I felt relatively comfortable and safe in the area, but my boyfriend would disagree. He even made me stay at the hotel a few times when he went out to get something...could be him just being paranoid though...

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms seem to be better...
Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple