All reviews zona colonial calle las damas quiet street breakfast was delicious within easy walking distance isabel plaza cathedral
Reviewed May 18, 2011

So let me first say that I wasn't expecting the Ritz when I stayed here...

We took an 8 day trip top the D.R. for fun and decided to start in Santo Domingo and then head to Cabarete. When we checked in we were pleased with the lobby and the service we received. The staff was mostly friendly (one exception here) and we were ready to settle in after our long trip. We reserved a double room as we were two people. The room we got isn't even picture on their site with the fabulous pictures....It was through a patio and to the left...the only room on the bottom floor from what I can tell. It looked like ti was an afterthought.

Now for the room: The mattress on the bed was terrible and buckled inward when you laid on it. So we basically spent the 2 nights we were here smooshed together in the middle of the mattress. the bathroom was clean, but when my boyfriend took a shower his foot actually pushed through the bottom...Also, unless you are 7 foot tall you will need to remove the shower head and use it as a hand held device. The celing fan in the room was so noisy and rattly that it woke me up multiple times in the night

The rooftop terrace is beautiful, but on our 2nd day there they had a wedding...which would have been fine if they had facilities for the wedding. Instead the ceremony (chairs, etc.) was set up in the lobby so we would have to basically go through the ceremony to leave. The reception was on the rooftop terrace and though you could still go up...it felt like we were intruding. It would have been nice to be warned about this so we could decide accordingly, but instead we happened to find out from another guest the morning of the wedding. This also meant that I had to move from the lobby (where the wifi works the best for my work laptop) as I was in the way of setup.

Instead of staying the 4 nights we booked we departed after 2 (which is MORE than enough to see the area the hotel is in, which is basically neighborhood). Calling our next hotel in Cabarete to extend our stay and headed to the bus station to get the heck out of dodge...

I will say I felt relatively comfortable and safe in the area, but my boyfriend would disagree. He even made me stay at the hotel a few times when he went out to get something...could be him just being paranoid though...

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms seem to be better...
Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kikibright
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The decoration is beautiful, and just entering you feel relaxed and refreshed. The staff was wonderful and friendly. The hotel has an AMAZING roof terrace which makes a great place for reading, relaxing, having dinner or enjoying a drink at sunset. I would come back to the DR just to spend some more days here! I HIGHLY highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelnati
Reviewed March 14, 2011

My girlfriend Amarilys and I always stay at this hotel when we visit the capital. This time we traveled with another couple who were visiting DR for the first time. They loved the place just as much as we always do. It is great to see the hotel expanding and including dinner options. The addition to the roof-top lounge (bar, more beds) were excellent. As always the service was great and the ambience was very "cool".

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CnL1507
Reviewed February 18, 2011

The eleven square blocks of Santo Domingo's Colonial District is one the world's greatest historical wonderlands with a wonderous vibe of the ability to wander safely around (with the usual caveat of don't be stupid).. Located at the foot of Calle de las Damas ,the first street Europeans paved in the Americas, is the beautiful poet's Plaza named for Arturo Pellerano Castro an early 20th century modernist who live here and this plaza was where he drank and cavorted with the his fellow Bohemian writers. A true Carribean, he was born in Curacau. He wrote under the name Byron and his most famous poem was entitled Champagne. My kind of guy. Now the checker players and Coco Boutique's sidewalk tables continue that past eras felicity. The view overlooks the Forteleza and the river Ozama as well as the breakwater and the Caribbean Sea beyond.

Its so easy to fall in love with the giddy charm of this place. The proprietors are a young couple from Madrid who have bought along that city's sophisticated hipness. They are design professionals and everywhere you look there are things to see and admire. At night the lighting is delightful and delovely. While our room was not large it was furnished with deftness and whimsy in a way that leaves a feeling of plenty.of room. The shower and bath were large and sumptuous. How wonderful to find a small hotel with the luxury of a stroll to the roof for sunset.

The proprietors Eduardo and Elizabeth, the chef and all the many staff were friendly, professional and caring without being obtrusive or obsequious. In fact they were fun to be around. Eduardo's advice and recommendations were most excellent.

Breakfast and dinner in particular were more than the usual fare. I don't know how they do it with so few covers. I do know, The chef is excellent. We had dinner twice, sidewalk and rooftop. We were dazzled and sated. Steak of DR's grass fed beef. Pasta Arrabiata and superb toasts of ham Iberico and white anchovies. The wine selections were outstanding particularly the Malbecs (we had three priced well below what we were used t paying) and the Ribera del Duero. The Pilsener was cold, the caipirinhas Ipanimac. After the Dolce de Leche crepes, the dark anejo rum and superb coffee were a postprandial pleasure that lingered as evening faded under starlight.

Mostly I don't think about the fact that in the great big scheme of things there is nothing more valuable than time but when I have a great time with warm human interaction and fair prices it is no longer a calculation. It is timeless and takes on a priceless quality. This place has the ineffable duende,which will always make it worth it. It has joy and a magical kind of give and take. It's a lot of fun too.

Perhaps it was the Malbecs but whenever I think of The Coco Boutique Hotel I hear my man Carlos Gardel singing my favorite; Volver..

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bishbob
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed at Coco Boutique Hotel about 3 years ago for the first time and up until a year ago, I stayed there everytime I came to Santo Domingo. It's the perfect place to relax, the perfect place to disconnect from reality. The rooms are cool, fresh and bright, each decorated uniquely. The downstairs area (breakfast area, chill-out area and lobby) are perfect to let your mind drift, enjoy the breeze that runs through, read a book or have a delicious cocktail. The recently opened restarant upstairs on the rooftop, Spoon, is simply amazing! Decoration is fabulous, food is amazing, service is excellent and has the best view in the Colonial Zone, looking out on to the sea ... simply perfect!

Now I live in Santo Domingo and I visit the hotel owners on a regular basis and enjoy a luxurious dinner at Spoon as often as I can! Walking into Coco Boutique is like leaving a beautifully chaotic city behind and entering a serene and friendly sanctuary. Coco Boutique is, by far, the best place to enjoy your stay in Santo Domingo ... without a doubt!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo