All reviewszona colonialcalle las damasquiet streetbreakfast was deliciouswithin easy walking distanceisabelplazacathedral
Reviewed February 18, 2011

The eleven square blocks of Santo Domingo's Colonial District is one the world's greatest historical wonderlands with a wonderous vibe of the ability to wander safely around (with the usual caveat of don't be stupid).. Located at the foot of Calle de las Damas ,the first street Europeans paved in the Americas, is the beautiful poet's Plaza named for Arturo Pellerano Castro an early 20th century modernist who live here and this plaza was where he drank and cavorted with the his fellow Bohemian writers. A true Carribean, he was born in Curacau. He wrote under the name Byron and his most famous poem was entitled Champagne. My kind of guy. Now the checker players and Coco Boutique's sidewalk tables continue that past eras felicity. The view overlooks the Forteleza and the river Ozama as well as the breakwater and the Caribbean Sea beyond.

Its so easy to fall in love with the giddy charm of this place. The proprietors are a young couple from Madrid who have bought along that city's sophisticated hipness. They are design professionals and everywhere you look there are things to see and admire. At night the lighting is delightful and delovely. While our room was not large it was furnished with deftness and whimsy in a way that leaves a feeling of plenty.of room. The shower and bath were large and sumptuous. How wonderful to find a small hotel with the luxury of a stroll to the roof for sunset.

The proprietors Eduardo and Elizabeth, the chef and all the many staff were friendly, professional and caring without being obtrusive or obsequious. In fact they were fun to be around. Eduardo's advice and recommendations were most excellent.

Breakfast and dinner in particular were more than the usual fare. I don't know how they do it with so few covers. I do know, The chef is excellent. We had dinner twice, sidewalk and rooftop. We were dazzled and sated. Steak of DR's grass fed beef. Pasta Arrabiata and superb toasts of ham Iberico and white anchovies. The wine selections were outstanding particularly the Malbecs (we had three priced well below what we were used t paying) and the Ribera del Duero. The Pilsener was cold, the caipirinhas Ipanimac. After the Dolce de Leche crepes, the dark anejo rum and superb coffee were a postprandial pleasure that lingered as evening faded under starlight.

Mostly I don't think about the fact that in the great big scheme of things there is nothing more valuable than time but when I have a great time with warm human interaction and fair prices it is no longer a calculation. It is timeless and takes on a priceless quality. This place has the ineffable duende,which will always make it worth it. It has joy and a magical kind of give and take. It's a lot of fun too.

Perhaps it was the Malbecs but whenever I think of The Coco Boutique Hotel I hear my man Carlos Gardel singing my favorite; Volver..

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bishbob
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed at Coco Boutique Hotel about 3 years ago for the first time and up until a year ago, I stayed there everytime I came to Santo Domingo. It's the perfect place to relax, the perfect place to disconnect from reality. The rooms are cool, fresh and bright, each decorated uniquely. The downstairs area (breakfast area, chill-out area and lobby) are perfect to let your mind drift, enjoy the breeze that runs through, read a book or have a delicious cocktail. The recently opened restarant upstairs on the rooftop, Spoon, is simply amazing! Decoration is fabulous, food is amazing, service is excellent and has the best view in the Colonial Zone, looking out on to the sea ... simply perfect!

Now I live in Santo Domingo and I visit the hotel owners on a regular basis and enjoy a luxurious dinner at Spoon as often as I can! Walking into Coco Boutique is like leaving a beautifully chaotic city behind and entering a serene and friendly sanctuary. Coco Boutique is, by far, the best place to enjoy your stay in Santo Domingo ... without a doubt!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2011

From the moment you walk into Coco Boutique Hotel you enter a sanctuary of peaceful elegance. The owners and staff are always quietly on hand to attend to your every need, whether it be information about the surrounding area to where to spend your evenings from Internet access to providing you with the most luscious breakfasts and serving delicious dinners in the rooftop restaurant Spoon but without impinging on your own personal experience of this wonderful cosy and friendly boutique hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Bluejazz88
Reviewed February 12, 2011

The owners Eduardo and Elizabeth were great. I work in nearby Haiti and needed just the rest and relaxation I received at the Coco Boutique.

The staff were excellent, all very polite and helpful.

The Colonial Zone is an inter sting location if you are interested in a great place to walk, enjoy history and still be able to see the usual street vendors and souvenir shops typical to that kind of location. When you wish to explore farther away or hit the beach, Eduardo and Elizabeth make that happen. I visited several beaches, the National Botanical Gardens, Cave of Three Eyes and several world class malls they suggested.

I will certainly go back again very soon.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Our daughter had recommended that we stay at Coco Boutique Hotel, because she had stayed there numerous times, and knew that we would feel safe and comfortable. She was able to join us for a dinner there one of the nights, and we enjoyed it on the rooftop terrace.

The staff served a lovely breakfast, and the reception area and bar were very cozy. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere as we checked our e-mails and planned our walking tours of Santo Domingo.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple