“Applebee's of Santo Domingo”
Review of El Conuco

El Conuco
Ranked #6 of 605 Restaurants in Santo Domingo
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gazcue
“Applebee's of Santo Domingo”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

If the music is too loud, you're too old. The atmosphere definitely makes the place; good place to bring a group, though there were only two of us. We got to watch some incredible dancers and then participate in the dancing too! The food was a little over-priced. The coconut shrimp dish was delicious, but the el dorado fish in banana leaf was rather bland. Overall, a fun place to dine out, and definitely tourist-friendly as they accept dollars, euros, and pesos.

Miami, Florida
“Great food, great ambiance, OK price”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We went for dinner to this restaurant one of the nights we were there, we stayed at the Jaragua Hotel, so it was pretty close by.

The food was excellent, the music maybe a bit to loud but the place in general is great, clean and friendly service, I would recommend a stop over in your visit to Santo Domingo.

• Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Touristy, but fun.”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Comida tipica -- all the traditional DR dishes. The goat stew was great!) Service was super friendly. The ambience was fun.

The traditional dancers were great entertainment.

Only complaint: the sound system was way too loud when the racers weren't performing and it was hard to talk with my dinner companions.

Visited February 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“FUN Times”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

I actually visited here in December 2012. I have to say my overall was experience was enjoyable. I went on a Tuesday with a group of my classmates. The open layout of this colorfully decorated restaurant provides a laidback experience, it felt like a backyard picnic. The dancers and bottle performance was amazing, I was in awe. Afterwards my classmates and I danced together and with performers. My food dish was "bandera" which includes typical food of the DR. It was on par with the food dishes I ate while staying with my host family. I definitely think this restaurant is worth visiting for a good meal and great performance. I can't wait to go back.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Incredibly awful food.”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We ate here as part of a large group who had first been to some caves. We came late(ish) around 2:30 which is still a respectable time for people to eat an almuerzo in the Caribbean. The food was cold, it was not recognizable, it was not replenished. The music was so loud no one could hear anyone speak. The people they had to dance were wonderful but no one could eat and see them if they sat at certain places at the table. This was an ultimate tourist trap. I was terribly disappointed after having seen how well this had been reviewed before we left. But I would say that now it is not what it might have been before.

• Visited December 2013