Samurai Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The place has a japenesse feel to it. Food is better than rolls. You get the whole "Japan-Feel" to the experience.

1  Thank Denpichardo

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am an older, professional, expat residing and working in Santo Domingo. I am a highly experienced world traveller, especially in Latin America, and thus VERY tolerant and patient. My wife and I are also avid sushi lovers. When I reported to my new position in the DR almost a year ago and went in search of a great sushi restaurant, I immediately gravitated to Samurai, and thought I had found sushi heavem, especially in the hands of the sushi chef, Yoji. In August, 2012, however, Yoji informed me that due to a dispute with ownership he was regretfully leaving, but would be re-establishing elsewhere and we exchanged cell ph #'s to keep in touch. A couple of weeks later I went at lunchtime, getting there about 12:15 pm, hoping he hadn't left yet. I walked in, saw no other patrons, but a number of staff including two chefs busy behind the sushi counter. But when I approached to seat myself, one of the chefs angrilly waved me away, growling that they weren't open until 12:30! I took a seat in the reception area, but then as after 15 minutes no one even offered to seat me I left. Two week ago when my wife visited I decided to try it again as Yoji was still not re-established. This time we entered, were greeted at the door by a maitre'd in a tux, and we walked towards the sushi bar, where NO ONE else was seated. We normally like to sit in the middle so that we can see the full case and watch the preparation, but the tux rushed over as shooed us to the very end, indicating that we had to leave space for other patrons. We complied (no one else showed up during the entire hour we were there....), ordered, and as we waited my wife took out her camera to take a couple of shots, when the tux again rushed over and insisted that NO photos were allowed!! I am fluent in Spanish and I asked why, to which he answered it was mgmt policy.....(REALLY???). Sushi was good but VERY overpriced, and neither of the chefs ever said a word to us.

I have since heard from Yoji, and he is setting up a sushi bar inside Sophia's Restaurant on Paseo de los Locutores soon. We will NEVER set foot in Samurai again! Go at your own risk.

1  Thank Vance S
Reviewed July 11, 2012

it may be a bit pricey... but it is the best meal you will have in santo domingo... the food fresh and perfectly seasoned... as i said... not cheap but definetly worth the money

1  Thank Carlos M
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Very nice selection of Sushi, service not always up to standard and prices on the higher side. Still our love of good sushi bring us back regularly.

1  Thank Stefano F
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Really great food and service, Runs a bit on the expensive compared to other places. But, with raw fish I rather pay extra for the good stuff. Traditional in all aspects with the menu, they really dont stray far from tradition.

1  Thank Frecome