“Third time staying there nice very nice!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Alcaldeza

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santo Domingo
Hotel Alcaldeza
Ranked #40 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Atlanta ga
“Third time staying there nice very nice!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Once again i stay there in july and it was nice and clean the air condition was working the bath was clean the room was clean, and I got service everyday to the room. The only draw back was that they gave me one price online and pay a different price when I got there which was $10 dollars more but all and all I would always stay because it is close to everything from the park to downtown and to the old colonial area which is good. The casino is close by and good restaurants are close by also. So for the price and location it is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Rohawk009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Atlanta ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here 3 times the last time I stayed there the air was not working but I was only there for one night the other times was nice.this hotel is close to all other hotel and casino and other nice places I plan to stay there on my next trip in July, and the price was a good price too enjoyed my stay 4

• Stayed October 2011
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I checked into the Hotel Alcaldeza for the first time, around 9pm. I had been in Higuey, earlier in the day and was a little tired from doing a lot of driving. I drove my car into the secure parking area and checked in. Price was about $47US or 1800 pesos. The room I was given was the second room on the left from the lobby. Pleasant room, nice linens, air conditioner worked great, small refrigerator and a small patio outside the sliding glass doors. The patio area has metal bars above, which is good (to prevent thieves from trying to enter).

Wireless internet in the room, included in the room rate. Coffee, juice, bread included in the room rate, for breakfast.

Hotel Alcaldeza is located on a side street between Avenida Independencia and Avenida George Washington (referred to as the Malecon). The street where the Hotel Alcaldeza is located, runs parallel with the malecon and avenida independencia, for only one block (east-west direction). From the front of the Hotel Alcaldeza, you can see the rear part of the large lighting/lamp store/showroom that is on Avenida Independencia.

Hotel Alcaldeza is about a block from the large Intercontinental V Centanario Hotel. The street where the Hotel Alcaldeza is located is very quiet, very little traffic. There is a large mango tree in the front courtyard, wireless internet in the front patio and the lobby. Around the corner from the hotel is a small grocery store, that is open till 11pm or midnight during the week and later on the weekend. Small grocery stores in the Dominican Republic are called colmados.

I walked to the zona colonial from the Hotel Alcaldeza several times, easy walk.

The owner of the Hotel Alcaldeza is a very nice guy. His family visited the hotel several times and I talked to them, very nice people. I ran into the owner several times, when I was out walking around in Santo Domingo and he always stopped to say hello and ask me how I was doing.

The owner told me he visited Cooperstown, New York (Baseball Hall of Fame) and told me he really liked it, I live not too far from Cooperstown and it is a lovely town.

I have stayed in numerous hotels in DR. I will stay at the Hotel Alcaldeza again. Friendly owner, friendly workers at the hotel. Room was nice, air conditioner worked perfect. Comfortable and quiet room. Secure parking for my car.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank NY_Oak
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

This is my second review for Hotel Alcaldeza. Since our first stay in 2009, we have stayed here a few more times. In each previous occasion, we have chosen their most expensive room. This time we arrived really late at night and were going to leave early in the morning, so we decided to take their least expensive room just for the night. After a four-hour drive and arriving in the wee hours, we didn't check the room and were too tired to go back to reception a while later to change.

Big mistake! Even for budget travelers that was a terrible room! The sheets were stained and the towels a light blue and a grayish white one were sold old and disgusting, I passed on taking my morning shower. They were just rugs that you would use with luck to mop your floors. The mattress was extremely uncomfortable and there were mosquitoes inside the room, despite being in a room with no windows (at least I don't remember seeing one) and A/C.

I understand we were paying for a standard room, but to me, that meant as it was explained to us, a smaller room, no patio, no mini-bar or refrigerator. That's fine if it is just to sleep, but dirty sheets and towels so worn out that I wouldn't use to dry my dog, that's too much.

The location is still great and the rates are low for a hotel with parking in the Gascue area. We may return for a one-night trip but never to an inexpensive room, and will never pay before checking out the room thoroughly again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Expat-in-Cabarete
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

This is the place to stay if you want to visit to the Colonial Zone.

LOCATION
Definitely, the must of Hotel Alcaldeza is its location, in Gazcue, within walking distance to the Colonial Zone and Malecón. The neighbourhood seemed very safe, even at night. The street is very calm, so there was no noise at all at night. As the street is not very large, some taxi drivers may not know it. Tell your driver it is near Independencia avenue.
There are restaurants, drugstores and groceries at walking distance. You can also find ATMs near the hotel.
There is a very nice restaurant close to the hotel, named Mario´s (inside hotel El Señorial). The food was really great and cheap!

ROOM
They have rooms from 35 to 50 USD. We had a double room at the ground floor, for 50 USD, with AC, bathroom, mini-bar, telephone, small balcony with iron chairs and table, large mirror, cable TV, one chair, blackout curtains). It was not large, but it wasn´t small. everything was very clean.
The mattress of the bed had no pillow-top, so it was a bit hard and not comfortable enough.
The bathroom was small, but clean, with towels and soap. However, the shower place was very small and although there was a curtain, the floor got wet when we had shower. Another problem was that there wasn´t ventilation system in the bathroom, so the vapour could not get out, as there was no window.
The room got pretty hot without the air conditioning, so we had to keep it turned on most of the night. If you don´t like AC, this may be a problem (at least in March).

SERVICE
We met Angel, the manager and owner of the hotel, and two attendants (a guy and a girl). Everybody was very polite and helpful.
The hotel has wifi, but it didn´t work in our room, so we had to go to the lobby to have a good connection. There is also a computer with internet at the lobby, but you have to pay for it.
The hotel doesn´t offer breakfast, but you can have a nice one at Villar Hermanos, just a 5-minute walk from the hotel. There is also a bakery near Villar Hermanos.
Ah, another important thing is that the hotel doesn´t allow guests to bring "friends" to their rooms and this was one of the reasons we chose it.
The hotel has a parking lot to guests.

OVERALL
Hotel Alcaldeza is a nice hotel for budget travelers. It is cheap, clean and relatively comfortable (despite the bed). The Colonial Zone is just aside and you can have a nice time at the Malecon just walking from the hotel. If you consider the location and the amenities in the room, this is a very good hotel for the price. I would come back to Alcaldeza.
I don´t recommend this hotel for businness travelers, as there was no working table and internet inside the room, but it is a nice choice for those who want a nice place for a nice price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Viking_Janaluna
Caracas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

The rooms are clean, and the staff is helpful, though they did not have my room available, and upon arrival they bumped me into a more expensive room. They asked for my money upfront, something which I also did not like. However, it is a decent, budget, clean place to sleep. A bed and a bathroom.
The room, however, is minuscule. The closet was tiny and partially blocked by the nitetable. So it was useless. No cabinets either.
There is no table or desk of any sort, you cannot work from there. Outside, there isnt an option to work either. Its mostly a passerby hotel, made for those who need to sleep a nite and move on. Not for the business traveler looking for a budget solution.
My cellphone had no reception because the building is solid concrete (I have a 2G phone), and the Wireless internet barely reached my room, even though it was the second closest to the lobby on the ground floor.
It is also very poorly lit, but this seems to be a problem in every hotel except the Marriott and Hilton.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

My husband and I travel frequent to Santo Domingo and usually stay for just one night. We have stayed at a variety of hotels in the past. For the most part, if you want a clean room, A/C, cable TV and parking (a must for us), you have to pay at least $100. I came across reviews for Alcaldeza on Tripadvisor and considering the low advertised rate, we decided to give it a try. We arrived without a reservation. They had rooms priced from $35 to $50, all of which have A/C, cable TV and parking. We decided on the $50 room because it also had a mini-bar and a small patio. Rooms are rather small but very comfortable, especially for a one-night stay, the A/C worked perfectly well, so did the Cable TV. The mini-bar was stocked with beverages with incredible low prices which is quite unusual for a hotel mini-bar (15 pesos for water, just 60 for a small Presidente). Our room was very cleaned too. No bed cover, and the furniture a bit run down. There's no restaurant but there are a few good restaurants within walking distance, and there was a list of restaurants with phone numbers in the room were you can call for delivery.

The hotel is located in Gascue, so it's very convenient for anyone wanting to be close to El Malecon, as well as close to Zona Colonial.

We met two of the receptionists, both very nice. The gentlemen who showed us the room spoke to us in Spanish so we don't know whether he speaks English. The young lady working in the morning speaks very good English.

Alcadeza has a sign outdoor that says Hostal Alcadeza; the business cards say the same. I don't believe that it qualifies as a "hostal". Everything we saw pretty much describes is as a regular hotel.

We're very glad we decided to stay there; now we have a nice place to stay for the night when we visit Santo Domingo on business. We will definitely go back to Alcadeza because of value. We've been in other hotels in Sto. Domingo similarly priced and wouldn't send our worst enemies to those place, but we will recommend Alcaldeza for a budget traveller or anyone who needs a clean and nice place to crash for a couple of nights.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business