Foreigners Club Hotel
Ranked #31 of 76 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Alberto, the manager, and his staff make the Foreigners Club a wonderful place to stay and have fun. One of my favorite things at the Hotel is It is easy to meet and talk with other travelers in the Hotel lobby. Even though I traveled alone, I had people to have fun with while there in Santo Domingo. The staff is happy to see to any of your needs and the Hotel is located within walking distance to a lot of activity. This is not a fancy place but provides all of the basic needs. I will be back soon.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank sraines

Reviewed December 20, 2010

After spending my first night in Santo Domingo in one of the larger hotel casinos, and not getting any sleep, I moved to the Foreigners Club after reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor.

As soon as I arrived, I was greeted by the friendly staff. The hotel is a small bed and breakfast, and has about 10 rooms. This provides a very welcoming and cozy atmosphere. The location is fantastic for anyone wanting to see the Colonial District. Every member of the staff was helpful in finding my way around the city, and introducing my to the local culture. Every staff member speaks FLUENT English.

The entrance to the hotel has iron gates, which are only opened for hotel guests and staff. This provides a real sense of security for worrisome travelers. The coffee was excellent, and a great way to start a busy day of sightseeing. The room was simple, and cozy. The ability to pay for the hotel via PayPal is a real plus.

Overall I would say that upon my departure, I felt more like I had been staying with friends than at a hotel. If I return to Santo Domingo, I would definitely stay at the Foreigners Club again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Ahren_D
Reviewed November 29, 2010

If you are traveling to Santo Domingo, you HAVE TO stay at Foreigners Club Hotel. Alberto, Patricia and Raul working goes beyond to make you feel safe, at home and welcome in the city! When my friend and I arrived at the airport, we were met by Alberto and two other people staying at the hotel, and it was so nice to not have to go through the hassle of finding a cab. The atmosphere at the hotel is the best! Everyone working there is so helpful, and can tell you all you need to know and where to go in the city. At this hotel you always feel very safe, and in the end you will end up not wanting to leave. :)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mmarum
Reviewed November 20, 2010

This place is an absolute jewel right in the center of Santo Domingo. It's not a luxury hotel by any means. Rooms are basic but adequately equipped. What makes this place truly exceptional is the staff. Alberto, the live-in manager, and staff Patricia and Raul could not do more to make you feel welcome. I've never been to any other hotel where the manager not only recommends restaurants, bars,etc. to go, but actually goes with a group of guests out to these venues and a good time is had by all. It is very easy to get along with the staff here and you will think of them more as friends than hotel employees at the end of your stay.

All the rooms are equipped with air conditioning, ceiling fans, small refrigerator, cable TV, free wireless internet, and safe box. The bathroom had no shortage of hot water and the water pressure was more than adequate. Every morning, there is a breakfast of coffee, fruit drink, toast with butter and jam, and eggs alternating daily with mini pancakes.

This is a very secure building. All windows have safety bars and the iron gates on the front door are locked 24 hours a day, with staff having to let you in and out. The hotel is only a block away from the Zona Colonial, yet the barrio it is in is noticeably quieter, more residential. A RD$150 taxi will get you most anywhere in the central part of the city. Parque de Independencia is only a block away from the hotel and from there guaguas and carros públicos leave for points north and west in the city constantly. Casual, overnight guests are allowed at the hotel without an extra fee, and your guest has to leave his/her cédula at the reception. There isn't, however, any seedy atmosphere associated with this hotel, which can be the case in other hotels in Santo Domingo with a tolerant policy to casual visitors. This hotel is extremely gay friendly, but certainly not exclusively gay.

My stay here was overwhelmingly positive, but I should note that the rooms appear a little more tired and worn than in the pictures on the website. The pictures clearly must have been from several years ago. And, in my opinion, when taxes are included, rooms are slightly overpriced for the overall general condition of the rooms, which could use a fresh coat of paint and some cosmetic renovations. That said, the rooms indeed have all the features and ammenities advertised on the website, and this wasn't a deal breaker for me, as the location and service at this hotel is truly exceptional. I wouldn't hesitate for an instant to recommend Foreigners Club Hotel, especially for a newcomer to Santo Domingo. It's very surprising just how cosmopolitan a city Santo Domingo is, and even more surprising that most tourists to the Dominican Republic only see it as part of a day tour from the resorts (if at all) which only covers about 4 square blocks of a city with nealy 3 million people, the largest city in the Caribbean. Panama City is often referred to as a "third world city with first world ammenities", but I would consider Santo Domingo just as deserving of this title.

1  Thank Eric M
Reviewed November 12, 2010

You will not regret staying at this hotel! Wonderfully located, clean and FRIENDLY!!! The manager Alberto went truly out of his way to show us the true colours of Santo Domingo, whilst Patricia and Raul ASSURED that our stay was just like living at home - but better!

2  Thank salta-kiana
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I went back to the DR for my birthday, but due to The Harricane Tomas my trip was spoiled by lots of rain. I still had a good time. I have stayed at Foreigners Club Hotel about 4 time now, I really like the location, very close to everything. The staff makes the hotel, from my last stays the staff has totally changed. I really liked the old staff, but the new staff is great too. If I stay there again, it will be becuase of the staff. The hotel needs work ( reinivations) which I am told it will be done. Also I hate the 26% tax on the room, which I did not expect, that tax really hurts. If the hotel does the work that it needs, updating, painting ect. then it will be a great place again and worth the money.

1  Thank miguellbs
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I stayed for the second time at the " Foreigners Club Hotel" (September 2010), and I was happy with the service AGAIN (my first stay in FHC was in June 2010).
Planning to go back before the end of the year, and stay (OF COURSE) in the same hotel...I feel like staying with good friends, the location is great, very safe, and the employees make the difference... If you are looking for something small, clean, convenient, safe, in the heart of the city, do yourself a chance to try it! ENJOY!
PS: If any help/assistance needed, please feel free to ask Alberto, and don't be shy at all!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo