“The Best Staff!”

Ranked #29 of 67 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
New York
“The Best Staff!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Location: First off, the hotel is about 3-4 blocks from the famous Calle El Conde, so from here, you get the best part of Santo Domingo. Calle El Conde is a pretty touristy street with lots of restaurants, cafes, shops, and people selling souvenirs. The best part is the end of the street, which ends in a big park in front of the old church filled with trees, a corner cafe, and people hanging out. It was about a $30 cab ride to the airport when we flew out.

Security: Security is a big one for me. The hotel always has a locked gate (you ring the doorbell to be let in), so I always felt safe.

Value: The value is great. My boyfriend and I were able to get a nice, small room with AC and a bathroom. There was always warm water for the shower, and AC was a big one for us since we were there during the summer. The breakfast that is included is also one of the best "hostel-like" breakfasts we've had. Always fresh fruit, eggs, and plenty of spreads for your toast. Another great amenity is the kitchen that is available for guest use. It was nice to cook dinner for ourselves after a month-long of traveling and eating out.

Staff: The people that helped us at the hotel were phenomenal! We had a great time talking and watching a movie with Raul one night. And Ian was very helpful when we showed up with no reservations. He had many crazy sailing stories to tell and gave us a map when we first got there with all of the important points highlighted. Furthermore, when we left, I forgot my camera under the bed, and he tried several different methods to try to return it for me. He looked into shipping and even talked to other Americans to try to bring it back for me. What a pal! I was devastated when I realized that I had almost lost all of my photos from the trip, but thanks to Ian, I'm getting it back :)

Although not the Hilton, it's a great value for your money and a great place to stay while exploring the colonial part of Santo Domingo. Plus, the most important part about traveling is the people you meet! And my memories there with the other guests, Raul, and Ian will stay with me forever!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2016Mandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very great experience and incredible hospitality, talk to the manager Ian he is very accommodating and resourceful. The hotel is only a couple blocks away from the main Conde street where everything you need is located, and also on that street less than 10min away is Jumbo a great supermarket for souvenirs at a fraction of the cost of some of the shops.
Foreigners Hotel is safe with its 24hr security, very decent breakfast that was more than enough. As a couple girls traveling throughout the country, we stopped here for a couple of nights to see the major attractions and this place made our experience so memorable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ZohRa321
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Working for an NGO in Haiti, I stay in Santo Domingo regularly on my way in and out of Haiti to the US. I have stayed in several hostals and hotels in SD and DR. The Colonial Zone is the most interesting part of this large city. It has all the history and a comfortable, neighborhood feeling. Within the Colonial Zone: Hotel Atarazana and Hotel Palacio are Boutique type hotels for 100$+ /night that are quite nice. Hostal Nicolas de Ovando is really nice for $200+/night. Boutique Coco is now closed. Foreigners Club has two classes of rooms, and give 25% discount for NGO workers. This works for me, as does the location. Smaller rooms are around 35$, and larger rooms with balconies are 45-60$. Both size rooms have all the same amenities, so its just about space and view. This B&B style hotel has about a dozen rooms and long term rates that are competitive. A basic breakfast, coffee and juice is included in the price. It is not fancy but it is comfortable and easygoing. The clients are mostly European, Canadian and American. It is run by a Canadian and his Dominican wife. They are very helpful with good advice on travel in the city and around the island. The security was tight- I felt safe and slept well, the shower pressure was good, there was cable and AC and WIFI. The location is perfect, between the Zona Colonial and the Caribbean Ocean and the University area. For the price, a decent value.

Room Tip: Room 1, 6 and 7 are larger, I like 3, 5 and 8 which are medium size but inexpensive!
5 Thank Oxana B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The first thing I noticed upon entering the tiny lobby was the haze of cigarette smoke and the stink of overflowing ashtrays. When I stayed there previously, I believe there was a no smoking policy. When I flicked on the bathroom light, roaches ran. The corner has gotten even worse, if possible, and I was followed by people asking for money coming and going. A woman receptionist tries to keep these types away but since the policy of visitors having to leave ID has been abandoned, more than once cartoon like prostitutes in clothing three sizes too small were actually sitting in the small lobby. When I was there, it seemed the other guests were American men visiting the DR with the thought of meeting as many women they could find....I'm sorry, but once this was a decent budget option in a lovely art deco building but now it is simply a crash place for hook ups and drinking. I signed up just to warn others. I wish the owners good luck in trying to sell the place

10 Thank Charlene H
george g, Owner at Foreigners Club Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2014
Dear Charlene,
Thank you for your business and for staying with us more than once over the years. We appreciate
your valuable feedback. We ar e sorry that your last visit with us was not as pleasant as your earlier stays. You arrived during a time when we were switching staff and undergoing renovations. However I would like to address some of the issues you mentioned.
- smoking is not allowed in rooms, only in the courtyard and the roof-deck. We experimented with allowing it in the lobby for a while but decided against it.
- we have always strictly enforced our policy that one visitor per room is allowed with government identification.
-Apparently there were some guests at the hotel who were drinking and smoking with their girlfriends while you were there. While we want guests to have a good time, it should not interfere with the peace of other guests. That is why we opened the roof-top bar terrace for socializing, and now keep the lobby quiet. While some Dominican women may dress provocatively, we do not judge how our guests dress. While there are prostitutes in Dominican, they have never solicited guests in the hotel or been a problem outside the hotel, as there is a Catholic children's school and church across the street. (San Pio X)
-All of our bathrooms are modern and kept in pristine condition. Your bathroom was not being renovated so your description of the bathroom was inaccurate. There are photographs of that bathroom on the site.
-Our historic building was completely renovated after 2000, with new walls, plumbing and electric. We have never had a problem with any insects or vermin. However these insects do exist in the Caribbean, so we recently put new drain covers on the bathroom drains to prevent any small insect from crawling up the pipes.

The building has undergone further renovations this year to preserve its art-deco style. We hope you will return to enjoy the family atmosphere, new management and spotless room condition. You will find that currently, FCH surpasses your original experience with us that you enjoyed so much and miss.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

During a two year stint working in Haiti I had to leave the country fairly regularly to renew my visa. On most of those visa runs, I opted to simply jump the border and spend a few days in the Dominican. Any time I was in Santo Domingo, this was my go to spot. Why?

First, it's really affordable. The owner is a nice guy, Canadian if I remember correctly, and he was always willing to negotiate with me or match another hostel's price if it was lower. For someone who needs to travel on the cheap, that's important.

Second, the staff are really friendly. The hostel is a no frills place, but the staff will do their best to take care of you, and there are little things that are nice: free breakfast (although you really should just go grab a super cheap breakfast at the little corner stand across the street), free WiFi, and the ability to move in a fold out bed to the rooms should you need to accommodate more people. The owner will even take out visitors to check out parts of Santo Domingo that they might now otherwise know about, no charge. Pretty damn cool.

Third, the location is good. It's not in the dead, dead center of the most historic part of the Zona Colonial, but it is walking distance to all of it, and I prefer where it is because you have cheaper food and drink options near the hostel than you would if it was in the middle of the tourist center.

All and all, definitely recommend this place for budget travelers looking for a cheap, comfortable place to crash, and nice people on hand to answer questions and be helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Q9Nine
Michigan
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The reviewer who complained about flies and disgusting rooms must be a nut case. That person showed their real self by their miserable, awful review. They could have just declined to stay, but no - they are so depressed and miserable in their own life they wanted to destroy this little business. And the other reviewer, who says Americans expect too much, had no right to blame Americans for one miserable depressed reviewer.
I stayed here 4 nights this week. The people are super helpful. The room was old and a bit dirty (ceiling fan blades very dusty, floors could use a good scrubbing) but that's par for the course around there. My air conditioner blew cold air, the fan worked, the TV cable package was awesome, the breakfasts were adequate (but should include more fruit) and the shower had good water pressure and hot and cold water. The bed was okay, the sheets were clean and changed upon request. The staff was not bothered when I received phone calls and climbed the stairs to tell me. They helped me make local calls and order taxis, etc.
I thought the price was good and I don't expect a palace for that price. For a private room, it's not a bad price.
Outside on the street was a little crazy, no problem by day but night walking gave me the jitters a few times. If you're able to handle yourself at all, you'll be fine. If you are a fair skinned, blue-eyed young maiden traveling alone for the first time, consider paying more and stay somewhere else. For me, I enjoy the real street life and the colmados were great right there on the same block with ice-cold beer and water.
Bottom line, I woud stay there again. It's a place for sleeping and getting out by day to enjoy the city. For this purpose, it was entirely adequate. And, I saw NO flies when I was there.

3 Thank StophMichigan
Orlando
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Are you kidding me, the people leaving positive reviews must be from the ghetto themselves to find this hotel to there liking. I wouldn't let a dog of the streets into this hotel. I arrived in the morning to still find the complimentary breakfast on the front desk with flies all over the place; and the food on the counter top where they where talking to us over the food. A young man and girl were at the front desk and the attire was a wife beater shirt and broken dirty shoes. He escorted us up stairs to a dirty room with ripped curtains on the window, the bed had a dirty sheet on it with two flat old pillows, the bathroom had a sink on a box and I ran out. I have never been so disgusted and on top of everything else they charged my credit card anyway after stating that they would be refunding my money back. I spoke via email and phone with Hotels.com and asked them to take this off there web site to prevent future problems for other customers. Hotel.com did issue me a future coupon towards stay in a reasonable amount, so I would use this website with them in the future.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple