“First impressions can be decieving.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Green House Aparta Hotel
and 1 more site!
Green House Aparta Hotel
Ranked #39 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
“First impressions can be decieving.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

The friend recommended this place after the first one turned out to be so very bad. I needed a 1 month apartment with the kitchen and refrigerator. I expected to find ventilation, cable TV, and WiFi. What I got was the typical smiling Dominican lies. Because I was hot and tired and disgusted with the last place, I took this one at face value. Dominicans do not understand the concept of repeat business and see all foreigners as wallets to be emptied. No difference here. They demanded full payment up front as if this were a lease. Very good price if it actually had the services and infrastructure that they claimed. I paid for an apartment but they lied to me about 1 being available and I spent several days in a small hotel room. I am now and what they call an apartment, which is another small hotel room with a 4 burner propane stove put on the counter of a tiny kitchenette. After 3 days of waiting for a difference, lack of water pressure here on the fourth floor was confirmed as what the locals call normal. Since I am not here as a tourist, I would like to use the cable television, included in the price. Not happening in this room; after 4 or 5 days. So the owners, the people that run the place, the managers, whoever the are, I just the same lazy, irresponsible, arrogant flyers as can be found all over this city. I've been asking for clean sheets and towels for 2 days now several times a day, and the Dominican answer is that the solitary house maid can only clean so many rooms in a week. Like the last place I reviewed, the kitchen hygiene is not to be trusted, nobody lifted the stopper from the sink to Remove the garbage and pieces of food. This is a very Dominican experience though, a coldwater fourth floor walkup whose power sometimes just stops for several hours. It only got anything is high is it too because everybody's been very pleasant. Lazy and dishonest, but pleasant. And thanks to their ignorance of modern laundering, my vintage tie dyed Yellowstone Park tshirt is now a stark white.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Davetourist

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

We are happy with our clean room for 60 usd per night for a triple. We are a family of 4 and there is more than enough sleeping space. The front desk is very helpful and nice. We booked this hotel by emailing the place and they responded right away. They also arranged a taxi for us to meet us at the airport, the ride cost us 35 usd. This isn't the Hilton, but a nice clean family run place that we feel good about, especially with kids

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank 20now40
miami
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

I am an american male that has been to santo domingo 5 times each time always staying around the area of zona colonial (very close to gazcue). The last time I went I went with a friend and upon another good friends recommendation we stayed at the green house. It was definitely a notch above what I was used to as far as just being a nicer hotel (i often was dealing without hot water at other hotels for the same price in my previous visits). I came to learn however, to my horror, that the woman who was at least part owner of the hotel would actually regulate the females that my friend and I would bring up to the hotel room. If she were at the desk she would not allow for us to bring two girls up to the room at the same time. Nor, would she allow for one girl to be in the room with us if she knew we were both there.
On that note, one day I was actually feeling kinda sick and tired and I was laying in my bed in the hotel room. I got a call from my frend that he met two SMOKING hot young dominicanas and they wanted to come to the room. I'm feeling a lot less sick and a lot less tired at this point in anticipation of their arrival. I get another call...its my friend again saying that they are in the lobby and not only the girl that i was to meet was not allowed in because she didn't happen to have an ID....... I actually would need for that woman owner to see me leave the room in order for him and his girl to come up in the room. Well, i did it. i sat in the lobby, sick ,tired and bored off my but. I found out later that she was always talking about the bible....it figures. The green house? A nice hotel as long as you don't want any company over. BTW things were MUCH MUCH better for us when she wasn't around....so it is possible u can get lucky...but why should one have to even worry about such things?

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miguel99

Travelers are raving about these Santo Domingo hotels

NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

The staff were engaging and friendly always asking if everything was ok or if I needed anything. Helped arrange trip to puerta plata. I wanted to spend time in the "Old City (Colonial zone)" and the location was ideal. Day time tours and lots of night clubs nearby & on the Malecon. The room was clean and comfortable, not spectacular but good for the price. The free breakfast of fresh fruit and coffee was a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Durham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2008

The people are friendly, but as a researcher with a minimum grasp of Spanish, I found myself in a bit of a strange situation. I would not advise anyone to eat there. The prices were arbitrary. Also, when the ac broke in my room, they never offered another room until my Dominican friend a lawyer called and told them they should. Also, I returned one night to find my door open, and subsequently found that the doors did not lock securely. My strong safe box was open, though my camera was intact. I also lost 2 shirts during my stay there. This is not a place I will return to, nor recommend to someone on an extended stay. It was a tad bizarre, and after those incidents I trusted no one, so had to be trudging around with my computer and other electronic equipment. Even the new room I was assigned a few days before I left could not really be secured.

• Liked — friendly workers or so they seemed
  • Disliked — arbitrariness, and insecure
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

$50 a night is the price in March 2007 for a room with 2 beds in this hotel. The location is very good in the Gazcue neighborhood. It's very quiet here, and only about 10 minutes walking to the colonial zone. Internet available in the lobby for 50 pesos per hour. Despite what their web site says, free breakfast is not included. They charge 5% extra to use a credit card. The beds are extra firm. Good water pressure and lots of hot water. Quiet air conditioning. Restaurant on premises which I didn't try. No elevator. Rooms are quieter on the side that doesn't face the parking lot. Strong box mounted to closet floor that locks with key. Cable TV. Near restaurants. The official title of the hotel (Aparta Hotel) may lead you to believe that there would be cooking facilities or something extra in your room, but no... it's not an apartment, just a normal hotel room. Everything went well until the last day, when the girl at the front desk booked us a taxi to the airport when we asked to go to the Juan Dolio beach. We were then stuck with a taxi driver who demanded more money when we were in the middle of nowhere. Just book your own taxi.

[--]

• Liked — Quiet location
  • Disliked — Price is too high for what it is
  • Stayed March 2007
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank maynard7