“2 females at Carey House” 3 of 5 bubbles

Carey House Hotel
Carey House Hotel
Ranked #60 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
LibbyFl
“2 females at Carey House”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2008

My trip was a personal/business and was only going to be there a few days. It was important for me to have wireless connection as I was bringing my laptop. Yes they now have wireless and connection was never a problem. I met up with a cousin who lives in the country and would accompany me during my stay so I would not be in an unknown place by myself. As a woman I look for safety & cleanliness...
The hotel is very clean. Keep in mind this is not the Hitlon or Marriott, etc. These are privately owned. The room is small. You have your bed a small tv (cable), a small fridge and a desk that was mounted on the wall. It is what it is. I made the best of the desk for eating and then for working on my laptop.
The area is quiet and never felt unsafe there. If you like to be around all the action then you need to stay right in the Colonial zone. Keep in mind, it is more pricier and probably not as safe.

They have a cafeteria which will make you breakfast. It worked fine for me as I did not have to get up early to go out and get breakfast. My breakfast was delivered every morning.

My only complaint. I seem to notice that the hotel is never busy with guests.. it appears the staff at the front desk were men. The only women staff I've seen were the cleaning ladies. They did a good job at keeping my room clean and smelling fresh. The men were a little flirtacious. They were constantly calling my room to see if "everything was okay". Not something I welcome when travelling by myself. I do feel it is unprofessional.

I never had to leave a key when leaving the room. I suggest you lock all of your most valuable belongings when leaving your room. just remember as long as someone has access to your room, whatever you leave out could easily be gone in a minute. The rooms do provide a small safe at an extra charge.

Otherwise, it was a nice quiet place to come to after a long day of activities.

The Colonial Zone is a quick 5 mins taxi ride.. I'm a New Yorker and am use to walking so walking there was not a problem for me.
For the price.. You got a safe clean place.. After all how much time do you really spend in a room?

Stayed March 2008
7 Thank LibbyFL

Solo
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

The hotel was booked for us by a doctor at a nearby clinic. The Carey House Hotel is budget place $40 US or 1200 RDP (Dominican pesos) per night. Small rooms with good AC and a fridge. Big minus for me was that 2000 RDP (+/- $65 US) was stolen from my room. I mentioned it and soon found myself asked to the manager’s office, & involved in a 4 way question/interrogation involving me, the mgr., the cleaning girl (19) & the front desk guy. Their English was about as good as my Spanish. I was not accusing anyone specifically. The hotel was defending the girl, she started crying, I just wanted it known by the hotel that this incident has occurred, & I was trying to explain that the thief could have been anyone. They ask that you leave your key at the desk when you leave. And, when we arrived there was no refrigerator in the room, we went out and when we returned the fridge was there. Apparently maintenance also has access to the rooms. I don’t believe anyone notified the police.

• Liked — a/c
  • Disliked — see review
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank peregrination
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

This place seemed expensive for what it is, but I was surprised to find that the Dominican Republic is expensive in general. This hotel was not really close to anything interesting, and almost required a cab ride to see the old colonial zone. It costs 1200 pesos per night as of March 2007 (a little less than 40 US Dollars). They have no internet in the hotel, but there are places down the street open til 10:00 p.m. They have cable TV, quiet air conditioning, and the location itself on a side street is very quiet. They charge 5% extra to use a credit card. The rooms are dimly lit with low output florescent bulbs. The room was fairly small, and not maintained all that well. I have paid less and gotten much better in other countries in Latin America. This hotel is in the Gazgue neighborhood and is about a 25-30 minute walk to the colonial zone.

[--]