“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at El Beaterio. The service was warm and welcoming. The staff was wonderful from the front desk to the cooks. The facilities were clean and charming. Everything we wanted in the Zona Colonial was within walking distance. We were supposed to stay at another hotel at the end of the trip but cancelled it, so we could return to El Beaterio. If you like boring cookie cutter hotels, don't come here. If you want a wealth of history, charm, warmth, security and convenience this is the place! We loved the stone and tiles. This was an old monastery that has been upgraded very tastefully.
Be sure to use their taxi guy, he is a good and fair man!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank glorynan123
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Glorynan123,

Thank you very much for choosing us for your stay in Santo Domingo. We are glad to know that your first experience with us was so positive that you decided to visit us back at the end of your trip.

We are all happy to read that you liked our décor and location, the cleanness, the charm of our facilities and the service of our team.

We thank you very much for recommending us on TripAdvisor and hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in a near future and provide you another memorable experience.

El Beaterio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stay at this hotel right now. A few days ago, they used chimical products to varnish the floors and the smell is still so strong, I woke up with an headach, feeling nauseus. Although the hotel is nice as well as the service, I think it's very irresponsible from the owners to keep the hotel opened for customers just after varnishing the floors. I just can't stop thinking of those canadians girls who died in an hotel in Thailand, although it's not proven, probably because the chimical products used there were too strong... I would recommand to wait at least a few days before staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Johanne12345
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Johanne12345,

Thank you for staying with us and take from your time to post this review.

We are glad to know that you appreciated the ambience of our guest house and the service of our team, but we are truly sorry for the inconvenience with the smell of the room were you slept the first night. It is the first time the product we use to clean our floor smell that much. We ll check if the provider changed it... Nonetheless, as we supply us from an eco friendly provider, we assure you the product used is not tóxic, so it won't cause any harm.

We will be more that happy to receiving you again with the promise that your past experience, if negative, was the fruit of an unique set of conditions that will not happen again.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I read many things about this Hotel, some good, some bad. WHo says this Hotel is bad is out of mind. This Hotel stays in a Zona Colonial in front of a square with trees and a church. beside the hotel has a little store that sells beers, snack, water.. very close to the hotel has the hard rock café and many good bars with happy hours. I didnt feel scary at all at night. The Hotel is charming, the bed is confortable pilows and sheets are clean and smellig good! the breakfast is simple but perfect, fruits, juices, breads, yogurt, mini pancakes, fresh eggs prepared at order. If you are going to Santo DOmingo there is no better place to stay. I saw other hotels but they was so normal, so like "american" style. If you want to go and feel like you really are in Santo Domingo stays in El Beaterio! They dont have fridge but they have a kitchen that sells beer and water. They have a small tv but who´s going to a place like this and stays at the room watching tv??? come on! no other place to stay in Santo Domingo! Feel totally free to contact me anytime and will be a pleasure to talk about this Hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Miikawa
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Mrs Milkawa,

What a pleasure to discover that we deserved such a kind review recommending readers to stay with us!

On behalf of our entire team, I thank you for choosing us for your stay at Santo Domingo. We are happy that our home and its location were to your convenience, and that the care we put in our service made the difference for you.

We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future.

Hillsborough, NJ
Reviewed September 11, 2013

El Beaterio is a small boutique hotel centrally located in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo. The hotel boasts a beautiful sitting area, breakfast nook, outdoor patio and large rooms with old world charm.

The staff was attentive, accommodating and extremely considerate of my schedule. I stayed for 5 days - and although breakfast isn't officially served until 8am - the housekeeper met me each morning at 6am to make sure I had some coffee and a continental breakfast on my way out the door by 6:30am.

ADVICE #1 - Reserve a room on the 2nd floor.

I LOVED my stay at the Beaterio. My room was amazing, cozy, romantic, kept well and served all of my needs. However, it was my second room. When reserving, make sure to ask for a room on the 2nd floor. The rooms on the first floor don't circulate the air well due to the old stone walls. Therefore, they have a strong musty smell. The rooms on the 2nd floor are just fine. The first night, I arrived at 2 in the morning. I stayed on the 1st floor. In the morning I informed guest services of the odor and they immediately moved me upstairs. The housekeeper even helped me re-pack my bags and had the porter move everything upstairs. They were wonderful.

ADVICE #2 - LOCATION

While la Zona Colonial is a relatively safe area - the hotel is located on a very busy section at the end of la Calle Duarte across from a park. Therefore, as with any city area in Santo Domingo, there is an element of delinquency. If you have a car rental, make sure to park it right in front of the hotel. If the spots are taken, knock on the hotel door before you park - the housekeeper will come out and move a car for you. I wouldn't advise leaving your personal belongings in the car. Is the Colonial Zone dangerous? NO!!! It's your normal city area and you just have to consider where you are.

Luggage and appliances. If you have a late flight - for a small fee - they will keep your luggage past your checkout time. For $10 - you can extend your checkout from 12pm to 3pm. Great value. If you need an iron, just ask. They will give you an iron and ironing board for your use during your stay.

Enjoy!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ebenai
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Ebenai,

Thank you so much for taking from your time to write so detailed commentaries about your stay in El Beaterio, an oasis of calm in the heart of the city!

We are more than happy to read that your first experience in our little guest house was so positive in general. Our team do always their best to provide a homey ambiance to our guests, so is a great incentive to them to know that you appreciated their attentions.

Our building is a house from the XVI century, with small and high windows in some of the rooms, and it makes part of it "colonial charm". It could be certainly the cause of a little humidity in some of our rooms for some periods of the year.

As you certainly say in your comment, the Colonial Zone in general is a safe area. Of course, as in every big city, is fine to take some general precautions. Our team is more than glad to give some advices and recommend secure routes to our guests.

Thank you again for your commentaries. We will be more than happy to receiving you again in El Beaterio!

Best regards,

South Florida, Florida
Reviewed August 3, 2013

“El Beaterio” operates as a small hotel inside a XVI century colonial home, right in the middle of Santo Domingo’s Old Town (Ciudad Colonial). Many of the most important sights in the area are within walking distance from it. Upon entering the hotel you feel as if you stepped back in time, and one can only wonder as to how life used to be back then. The owners had done a great job in keeping many of the original architecture and details of this beautiful building. My family was given room# 7 on the second floor, which was really well appointed and beautifully decorated. The beds were comfortable, and the a/c welcome. There is a safe in the room for your convenience. The bathroom was not so big, but accommodating none the less. Breakfast is included, and consists of fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, bread, cheese, ham, and coffee. The front desk staff was very friendly and always smiling and willing to assist. Because this is an original “old world” house, they have no available parking spaces for their guests, but there is a safe and secured public parking location just two short blocks away, for about US$5 per night. The roof terrace is beautiful, but too hot and sunny during the day for our taste; and very peaceful at night. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends, and I would certainly make it my place to stay when traveling to Santo Domingo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jast64
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Jast64,

Thank you so much for staying at El Beaterio with your family and for taking the time to post this kind review.

We are truly happy to read that every aspect of your experience was up to your expectations and that you would recommend our little guest house to Trip Advisor readers.

We are grateful for your special mention of our "well appointed and beautifullly decorated rooms".

We all look forward to serving you again soon and to becoming your home in Santo Domingo.

Best regards,

María Elvira Giannettti
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of our trip and had a great time, so much so that we canceled our reservation at another hotel in Santo Domingo on the end of our trip and came back to El Beaterio. It's located perfectly for exploring the colonial zone.

The hotel, despite being in a bustling section of the biggest city in the Caribbean, is remarkably quiet. The courtyard is beautiful. The roof deck is lovely. The breakfast is great. The air conditioning is welcome. The staff is helpful, especially with getting taxis at a lower rate than what an American tourist could finagle. Though some staff members manage to get better rates than others for similar trips.

There is a bright young guy who works at the front desk who is absolutely fantastic at his job. Great customer service, accommodating, fluent in several languages, charming, and funny. My girlfriend and I can't say enough positive things about this dude. In what could have been just another hotel (though beautiful), he made it significantly more welcoming. He took the time to explain certain things - good places to eat, good sites to see, things to avoid - in a way we just haven't encountered much in traveling. Very sincere, polite, and warm.

We'd stay at El Beaterio again (indeed, we already did) if in Santo Domingo. In addition, hit the Mexican restaurant across the street. Pretty good and very cheap.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Beau F
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Beau F,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this great review that will without a doubt encourage TripAdvisor readers to visit our little guest house!

We are especially grateful of your mentioning our rooms, breakfast and services. El Beaterio is an ideal base to start exploring the city, calm and hidden from the crowds but close to the major attractions, and our concierges are always eager to share their knowledge and to put together personalized itineraries.

The feedback of our guests is a great incentive for each of us and I would like to thank you as well for your special mention to our team.

It is a honor for us to know that you were satisfied with your stay, and decided to visit us again at the end of your trip. Returning guests like you contribute greatly to the homey feeling we do our best to provide and we all look forward to serving you again soon.

Amberg, Germany
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at El Beaterio for two nights and had a great stay. The guesthouse was easy to find for our driver and it's located on a quiet street, across the street from a nice park. I loved the look of this place, the coral rock exterior and the interior was equally as charming. Upon our arrival, the hotel manager was there to greet us and check us in. Everything went smoothly and they were very accommodating. We had a courtyard room (#3), which was located on the first floor. It was a nice size room and bathroom, the a/c was cold and the decor was minimal, but charming. The bed was comfortable, except for the fact that it was two twins pushed together (including the bed-frames), so there was a little unevenness if you wanted to sleep in the middle. We felt very safe and we could come and go as we please without feeling like we were disturbing any other guests. The breakfast was nice. They had a fresh fruit salad with papaya, mango, bananas and melon....sausage, cheese, ham, bread, cereal, pancakes and you could ask them to make eggs upon request. It wasn't a large buffet, but enough to start off your day. The coffee was nice and strong. Service as great. I liked the fact that they made you feel very comfortable and gave you great service, but weren't overbearing at all. The lobby was a great place to hang and relax. The location was very close to everything and only a couple blocks away from the main street in Santo Domingo. We didn't get a chance to check out the rooftop balcony, but can imagine it was great -- and had nice views.

Only suggestions or concerns I would make would be to 1.) fix the bed situation 2.) they only accept visa, which I usually pay with MC or Amex, so had to pay with cash. Not a big deal at all, but just not convenient for me. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bbbangbang
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Mrs. Bbbangbang,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are all delighted to read that our home, its décor, our location, our cuisine and services met your expectations.

We work daily to create a truly homey atmosphere to each of our guests, so is a great reward for us to know that we maked you feel comfortable and relax among us.

I took notes about your suggestions for the beds and the credit card accepted.

It will be our pleasure to welcoming you back anytime!