“Amazing Charm, Great Location!”

El Beaterio Casa Museo
Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Santo Domingo
St. Lou
“Amazing Charm, Great Location!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

El Beaterio is a charming guest house located in the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo. The hotel looks exactly like it does in the photos which is a good thing, but in order to really appreciate the lure and charm of this little house, you have to stay there. I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the rooms (I was expecting them to be tiny). Our room had elegant cast iron furnishings as I suspect all of the rooms are. Our bed was on the firm side but I prefer a firm sleeping bed so this was not a problem for me. Nothing was over done and in this case less was defiantly more. All rooms look down into a garden area. There is also a roof which was the one let-down for me. Before I came there, I imagined being able to sit on the roof top and enjoy a drink, relax, watch the sun rise etc. Unfortunately the roof had little if any place to sit and relax, and the door to the roof was always locked when I wanted to go up there. It would be so nice to have a table with an umbrella there. Other than that, our stay was almost flawless. Breakfast was always available with a decent variety of items ranging from fresh fruit to pancakes. The one bad experience we had was with one of the yogurts (My wife opened it and it had mold in it). The lobby was one of our favorite hangouts. It was so nice to just sit, enjoy the soft music and decor, and relax after an afternoon of walking through the zone. The staff was wonderful. We were always greeted with a warm smile and great service. I can honestly say that they did everything in their power to make our stay as wonderful as it could be. The kitchen staff was outstanding! Some people will probably complain about things like the room floors being a bit gritty, or maybe a old or moldy smell at times. Keep in mind that this structure is over 500 YEARS old! If you want a generic hotel experience, go stay at the Hilton or Holiday Inn. But you if want to experience old world charm, great service, and a great location at a reasonable price, give El Beaterio a try!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank amnalehu
El Beaterio G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Mr. Amnalehu,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in such a lovely way and for describing your stay with us as "flawless" and "charming".

We are all very happy to read that you like our décor, breakfast buffet and services. As you rightly mentioned, our house is a XVI century builing, and in our decoration we want to transmit the austere elegance of this era. I am really glad to know that our concept pleased you.

Our staff is deligthed to know that you found their attentions outstanding, as they do always their best to help our guests feel at home.

I am trully sorry for the inconvenience with the yoghurt. I do remember your case, and please be sure that we have took measures to garantee it will not happen again.

About the terrace, we do close the area in some schedules of the day, but the staff is available to open it for our guests at the moment they want, so the next time you will visit us, please feel free to ask to the recepcionist and they will be pleased to open it up and help you enjoy a wonderful sunrise!

We all are looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Yours sincerely,

El Beaterio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Charming Hotel !
we stayed there for one night on our way to Samana
peninsula.

The hotel located zone colonial in a 500 years old structure (used to be a convent) , the decoration was also very nice and get you in right atmosphere .
very helpful and friendly staff.

although we mentioned in our reservation that we are Honeymoon couple we recieved room with two separate beds , we were tired and for only one night we did not bother to exchange room.
The room has safe , fan , AC .old TV . they have mosquito problem .I wish they spray before guest arrival instead of leaving repellent in room .

Breakfast was nice with fresh fruits , bread and spreads.

would recommend .

1 Thank Dafna G
El Beaterio G, Guest Relations Manager at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Dafna G,

Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback regarding our guest house.

I'm glad to hear that you liked the decoration, the attentions of our staff and our very convenient location in the heart of the Colonial Zone.

I am sorry to know that you were a honeymoon couple and we didn't gave you a room with a matrimonial bed. I looked in our files and i couldn't find any register of a honeymoon couple in one of our two beds rooms. In those cases, we pay special attention to reserve one of our best rooms and use to prepare a special romantic decoration, but it seemed that the information didn't arrive for some reason. I understand that this is a "one in a life" moment, and we try to do always our best to make the experience unforgettable.

Concerning the mosquitoes, we have a very strong policy in this sense, and fumigate often, but as a hotel in a hot country, they do persist sometimes.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Brooklyn New York, USA
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Like the surrounding neighborhood, Zona Colonial, El Beaterio is nice but a little bit rough around the edges.

My wife and I stayed here at the front and back ends of our trip to the DR. On our first stay, we were in a room on the second floor, Room 8. It was relatively clean and comfortable, although the linens were a bit worn and stained. On our second stay, we were on the first floor, Room 4. The stone floor was gritty, the AC leaked, and the room was musky and humid. It was difficult to sleep.

The staff was not particularly helpful and awkwardly asked for tips. For example, on our cab ride back to the airport the receptionist called the cabbie’s cell phone and asked us to pay an extra $2 on top of the previously agreed upon price because she had called the cab for us. Annoying, as the cab ride was already more than half again as expensive than if we had just hailed a cab ourselves. But, as I don’t speak Spanish these awkward episodes could have been due to my own misunderstandings.

On the upside, El Beaterio was quite and had a beautiful courtyard - a relief after tramping around Zona Colonial, which while quaint is crumbling, lacking in street signage, and can feel slightly unsafe for someone who, like me, isn’t Santo Dominino street smart.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the second floor - where there are more windows and cleaner, wooden floors.
1 Thank tomgray347
Dear TomGray347,

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience at our guest house.

I am certainly disapointed that your stay didn't meet your expectations.

Our building is a XVI century house, with bricks floors and stone walls, and is certainly the cause of a little dust and humidity. We are studying some solutions to the humidity problem but it seems inherent to those old colonial houses. About the grity floors, we have chosen to keep the authenticity over more modern options.

We just finished to change our linens and towels, and we are sorry it hadn t been already made when you visited us.

Same about AC we are currently changing...

I am sad to read that the attention of our staff was not satisfactory. Our staff always give its best to make our guests stays unforgettable, but as you said (even if most of the team do speak english and french fluently) maybe the "language barrier" created some misunderstandings. About the tip issue, i will personally clarify this situation.

Otherwise, i am glad to know that you found quietness in our beautiful courtyard, usually appreciated at the end of a day in our city, very charming, but a little noisy sometimes. It is true that Santo Domingo can seem as not secure, it is not so much the case and we always recomend routes to our guest to make they feel safer.

Thank you again for your constructives critics and If you come again to Santo Domingo, please do not hesitate to contact me, and i will attend you myself.. My email adress is meg@elbeaterio.fr.

Best regards,

Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel and rooms are unbelievably charming and the location is convenient walking distance to all Colonial Zone historic sites. Also the Mexican restaurant across the street has vegetarian food and the only organic vegetarian restaurant in the city Crudo is a 5 min walk away. Note that this property is cash only.

We would definitely consider staying here again -- this time however a few things held this hotel back from getting a 5 star review:

1. A/C ISSUES: Like other reviewers the air conditioning unit in our room too had problems and stopped cooling. When we mentioned it to the staff they seemed unconcerned ("someone will come by to fix it in a couple of days") and no offer to move us to a different room or apology of of any kind was made. Fortunately we were more or less comfortable at nights with the fan mode only which did work even after the compressor quit.

2. BREAKFAST WAS NOTHING SPECIAL: It was a nice convenience that breakfast was included -- simple but nothing special or memorable.

3. DAYTIME NOISE: Finally each time we returned to the afternoon during the daytime there was a steady, rhythmic dull banging sound as if someone where chipping away and dismantling and old brick wall by hand. We never did find out what this was nor did the hotel staff inform us of any planned construction or maintenance issues during our stay.

Room Tip: Double check with staff to try and request a room with working A/C with no known issues. Also the...
2 Thank Erin B
Dear Erin B,

We thank you for taking your time to post a comment about your stay at El Beaterio.

We are very happy to read that you appreciated our charming rooms and comon areas and our very convenient location.

About the AC issue, we are switching them for new ones to put an end to this problem. Sorry for the inconveniences.

I apologize too for the noise. We have been struggling with the neighboor who was making some works in his house and saddly did not care that our guests "suffer" the situation. Those works are now finished.

About the breakfast, i would be pleased to have more details about your expectations, since we are working on offering more options to our guests. If is possible, please contact me to my email adress meg@elbeaterio.fr, because i am interested in knowing what you would have wished for.

We are looking forward to welcome you back again.

Sincerely yours,

Massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

rooms look out on attractive small garden courtyard. The hotel is situated next to picturesque Parque Diarte and only a short walk to the main square of the beautiful Zona Colonial.mRooms are spartan but with a simple elegance of another time.

• Stayed February 2013
Denver, CO
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

When was the last time you booked a hotel room in a 500 year old convent? That's what El Beaterio is. Except it isn't a hotel, it is a "Guest House" and you'll feel like a very special guest, indeed. Rich in history but with all the modern conveniences, the beautifully appointed main area and rooms are so otherworldly, I remarked to my husband, "I feel like I'm in a fairy tale." Tall walls, tall wooden doors, black wrought iron fixtures, a lovely courtyard, a real, home-cooked breakfast that keeps you full all day, a/c, wifi, TV with American stations, private bath with hot shower and of course Izidore, a most wonderfully gracious and helpful host whose English is very good. Wanting to go walking in the light rain but not having an umbrella, Izidore says, "Here, take mine." He arranged taxis (a driver was waiting for us, holding a sign with our name when we arrived at the bus station), a tour of the city, got us directions to a restaurant and allowed us to borrow his map. When we checked in,he went before us to the room and lit candles. The rooms are quite small but perfect for a stay of a few nights. It's just a little piece of heaven and if walls could talk...

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank Sandie947
Oakland, California
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My family stayed here for two nights and had a marvelous time. My children are two and four. They enjoyed the courtyard and lizards. This hotel is beautiful and in a perfect location- close to the action but in a quiet spot. The breakfast was great too. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: This town is hot! An air conditioner is needed. Get a room with one...but know the AC is not that...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HCJML
El Beaterio G, Guest Relations Manager at El Beaterio Casa Museo, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
We appreciate very much your kindly commentaire about your experiencie at El Beaterio. I am glad to hear that your experience with us meet your expectations.

I will share your posiitives words with the team.

It will be a real pleasure for all my team to welcome you and your family again.

Yours sincerely,