This hotel is in the heart of the Colonial District in Santo Domingo and the ambience was perfect. We stayed here one night when we flew into town on our way to a beach resort. It had so much personality. When you come off the street there is a huge locked wooden door on a tall wall. It feels like you are entering a secret castle. The entry rooms are picturesque and so well decorated that you feel like you stepped back in time. The bedrooms are "in back" on a open-air courtyard. Very tall ceilings make the rooms feel bigger than they are and they are well-shielded from the noise of the street. Comfortable beds and nice little breakfast in the morning. I couldn't stop looking around and taking in the details. We felt priveledged to see a place as cool as this, let alone stay there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- XVIth century old convent, El Beaterio witnesses the history of Santo Domingo for almost 500 years. Faithfully restored in keeping with the original charm and architecture of its period, this quaint and private hotel offers its guests a unique atmosphere of the inimitable Dominican art de vivre. Nested in the heart of the colonial city, El Beaterio offers eleven coquettish and sober rooms, laid out around a flowery colonial interior patio. Between its stone walls, it’s a peace oasis in the middle of a vibrant and enlivened city. Established in 1530 with the beatas given the task of collecting girls of all ages, Spanish and mixed race, lost on Earth». You’ll find out what a beaterio is, and you’ll learn about the religious figures responsible for its foundation in Santo Domingo. You’ll discover two residents of El Beaterio, Sor Leonor de Ovando and Dona Elvira de Mendoza, first poets of the New World. Since 1990 when UNESCO declared the Colonial City of Santo Domingo as “World Heritage Site”, El Beaterio is classified as “building of documental, historic and architectural value”. In 2016, El Beaterio is officially recognized as Dominican Republic’s first hotel-museum by the Ministry of Culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your El Beaterio Casa Museo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Beaterio Hotel Santo Domingo
- El Beaterio Santo Domingo