“Colonial hotel”

Antiguo Hotel Europa
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed in this hotel 4 nights in January 2014. Room was quite fine but dark. During our stay there were street works, a lot of noise and vibrations. It was dificult to rest in the hotel, but we didn't sit in it. We visited colonial zone. The location is very good, because is very near Plaza Espana and Cathedral Primada. On the same street is museum of chocolate with chocolate tea. 10 minutes from this hotel is chinatown. Adventage is terrace on the roof and very pleasant breakfasts there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here two different times while traveling through the Dominican Republic. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the location couldn't be better. The included breakfast is also very good. Our first stay was on the 3rd floor, and our second stay was on the 1st floor. We had no issues on the 3rd floor but the street noise from the 1st floor is pretty bad and goes on all night. I would stay at this hotel again but not on the 1st floor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Laramy R
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed here with a large group. It's in a great area of town- very close to a lot of restaurants and historic areas.The hotel was relatively clean though the bathroom wasn't as clean as I would have liked. The staff did not speak English so I had to rely on my Spanish speaking friends to pay and get some issues fixed. The third day of our stay, our air conditioning stopped working and we were given a new room. In that new room, the hot water heater did not work. When we told the staff about it, they said we were doing it wrong. They came up to show us and found out that actually it didn't work! So we had to go back to our original room to shower.
So while staff was accommodating (when you could speak Spanish), the facilities were not impressive. Additionally, it was overpriced for the quality.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013

20 of us stayed at Antiguo Hotel Europa. We were in Santo Domingo to celebrate a wedding being held at the ruins of Monasterio de San Francisco with the reception being held at Alcazar de Colón. The hotel was the perfect location for the convenience of these venues. It was central to the sights and restaurants in the Colonial Zone and we even got to attend a street party. It was great to attend a local event. The lobby and terrace were both nice places for us to gather, I especially enjoyed the morning breakfast on the terrace. It was a great choice for us and I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank madthompso
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We spent two nights in this boutique hotel and enjoyed it. Nice to have WiFi. Rooms was clean. One of the drawbacks is that it is quite noisy. Partly because of the physical nature of the hotel. Every little noise and voice echoes throughout the hotel. The other thing was that the neighborhood just seemed VERY noisy throughout the night, and since there are no “grounds” surrounding the hotel (you walk right out of the door onto the street) the noise is kinda loud all night. But with some white noise on my smart phone, we slept well.

They seemed quite understaffed. I don’t know if that is sort of a characteristic of all small hotels in the D.R., or just this one. Overall, a good value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jack H
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was there last thursday with my family. The position is very nice, very close to the colonial zone of santo domingo. The attention of the lobby was very good and professional. The rooms are basic, small, clean but you can't open the windows. Actually I injuried my self whit a nail trying to open it.

The materass of the bed was clean and pretty new. but a bit uncomfortable. The bathroom was ok but the shower most of the time it didn't have cold water which I have seen in other review as well. This was an issue having small babies.

The breakfast was on the last floor, not very nice terraze. There was not much to eat: bread, jam, a bit of fruit, ham, muffin and smashed eggs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Scubaandsurf78
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was looking for a hotel to spend 1 night, and I book with Expidia a night on this hotel, they told me the location which I was impress by, they said Down Town Santo Domingo in the colonial area of the city.
The area was terrible, we could not walk in to this property because we fear for our safety. So all I can said that this hotel should not be promoted by any company, because this place is consider a point of prostitution, I don’t recommend this place to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family