This hotel is situated across the street from the beach and is walking distance to restaurants,pharmacy, casinos and grocery stores. It is Italian owned and has an Italian style of decoration. While most guests are Italian, the staff all spoke English. This was a great hotel and for the price was terrific. Here are the pros and cons that should be considered before booking. For some this will be a perfect choice, others not.
1) Excellent customer service. I can't emphasize this enough. Everyone was great!
2) convenient location to tourist spots (walking distance to obelisk and Monticeto statue),restaurants, casinos and grocery stores. Across the street from beach.
1) Not best neighborhood. Next to sketchy nightclubs. You will be asked for money by locals when you walk outside the hotel. For Santo Domingo, it isn't a bad neighborhood,nor felt unsafe however we had decided that my girlfriend shouldn't out alone either. (This could be said for many places here).
2) Not a hotel for a light sleeper! Street noises come through easily and usually late at night and start at 5 or 6am. For us,it gave us the feeling of the Santo Domingo city and we chalked it up to part of the experience.
3) Low quality bed. Single mattress on a metal frame. At the price of the hotel,it was decent and clean.
Overall our experience was great and I would consider this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located a few meters from the Avenue George Washington (Malecon).In the tourist heart of Santo Domingo. The Apart-Hotel Shakey offers a bright and comfortable Italian style.It is designed to provide our customers a unique experience, different from the typical hotel stay, also includes the possibility for a long term stay.The spacious one and two bedrooms, air-conditioning, kitchen and stylish decor.Shakey conclave is perfect for those wishing to live the Dominican capital without having to travel long distances, is very close to the famous colonial, with its old charm and within walking distance of George Washington Avenue with its prestigious casinos, bars and restaurants by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Shakey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.