“THE BEST EVER” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
Newark, New Jersey
“THE BEST EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Hello I am a Traveler Mr. Graves and I would like to say thanks to Jose Placencia, Jose Sevelino, Raysa, Luis and Quislenny YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! When I travel back to the Santo Domingo area I will make sure that I Stay here no question this will be my home away from home.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

There for a week. Great food, very clean. Professional staff, good location in that in is walkable to grocery, museums. Walkable to ocean but not to swim, good restaurant there, ask at desk. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We have just spent 2 weeks in the Dominican Republic and decided to take a trip to Santo Domingo, booked the hotel online before we went and really enjoyed our stay. They let us check in early and out late for no extra charge, free WiFi, great facilities. The location isn't that great for doing 'touristy' things but its just a short cab ride away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Juan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Customer service excellent. Breakfast outsatanding. Good location. Ask for David or Jose Raul for top customer service and care--they go the extra mile. Very quick room service with a varied menu. BAr area small bur with friendly staff. Wine selection limited; 24 hour taxi service is helpful;

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have stayed in the Santo Domingo Courtyard many times over the last 10 years. While some of the staff has come and gone, one thing remains always the same. Superb service! I am on the road nearly 200 nights a year, and for me, there is no place that makes me feel so much at home as this one. From Celso, Raysa, and Luis at the reception desk, to all of the staff in the restaurant, to the security staff, and the housekeeping staff, you will not find more friendly and happy people eager to serve. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this hotel a 12! The rooms are big and comfortable. The location is central Santo Domingo, close to everything. If you are a business person, this is the place to be. I hate to leave home, but when I'm going to the D.R., I can't wait to get back home to the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and have your breakfast included in the price of your room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend for three nights (Friday night through Sunday night). This was my first of what should be several visits to Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic. My stay here at the Courtyard Marriott was as perfect of a hotel stay that I have experienced in all of my years of traveling
On Friday afternoon, after clearing immigration and walking out of the airport terminal at Las Americas Airport, I met up with my friend, who is a driver there. I just gave him the name of the hotel and he whisked me there through the crazy and some times, dangerous traffic. As we pulled into the lot, which is secured 24 hours by two guards, I was able to see the beauty that was the Courtyard Hotel. From outside, it looked very clean and well kempt. After my driver stopped his vehicle, the bellhops immediately posted up nearby and assisted my driver in removing my luggage. I felt like a king. But it gets better.

Checking into the hotel and getting my room was smooth as ever. The hotel front desk agent, if my memory serves me correctly, was named Jose Raul. He was probably the most professional hotel that I ever had the pleasure of dealing with in my history of staying at hotels. His customer service skills were remarkable. He promptly checked in me and my guest. (Their policy is that you can have any guest as long as that guest has a valid ID card). I am the type of person who is real picky and particular. I believe I asked Mr. Raul a ton of questions. Like the knowledgeable person and professional that he is, Mr. Raul answered EVERY question I posed to him regarding the hotel and the amenities. With me being an English speaking American, I had NO problems communicating with any of the staff at the Courtyard during my stay.

This hotel, from wall to wall, it one of the cleanest places I ever set foot in. No matter where you go inside, you will see how clean it is. Of course my room (1 queen bed, City View Room) was impeccably clean. No flaws whatsoever. When I first enter hotel rooms, I head straight for the bathroom. The bathroom in my room was virtually spotless. The mirror was clean as a whistle as well as the fixtures. The linen was neatly folded and cleaned of course. In the room itself, everything, including the decent sized flat-panel HDTV was clean and spotless. The TV looked as if they just purchased it and put it in the room for me. Like I mentioned earlier, it made me feel like I was a king.

Like most hotels, there is a weight room (neat and clean), a bar, a restaurant, a lounge area, and an area where hotel guests can use desktop computers. There is an outside lounge area in the rear of the hotel and a nice sized swimming pool. I used each amenity that I listed with the exception of the pool. My guest and one of her friends utilized the pool. Nevertheless, I had ZERO complaints. The restaurant, each morning, had a breakfast buffet. Whether you want classic American breakfast or Dominican breakfast (I mixed the two), you will be satisfied. To go along with my omelet, I had some Dominican “Mangu”, which was nice. Eating Mangu did not cause me any gastro-intestinal problems. It was apparently cooked well. The servers were great and I made certain to tip them generously. Like I mentioned, I had no communication issues(I am trying to brush up my Spanish though).

On this past Sunday, while sitting in the lounge area, I asked someone from staff could they turn the main TV in the lounge to the NFL Game between the Broncos and Cowboys. That was done with no problem and I was able to watch an English-language broadcast of the game. I was happy with that as well as the outcome of the game.

The wi-fi is complimentary and the signal was great. No problems with that.

I mentioned earlier that the hotel had two guards at the front gate. Additionally, on the inside, there are staff who monitor nearly every corner of the hotel. I felt safe staying there. Matter of fact, I had the same level of comfort and safety as I did when I stayed at the Ocean Blue resort in Punta Cana(see my other review) during an earlier visit to the Dominican Republic.

This hotel is located on the busy Maximo Gomez Avenue. It is not too far from the El Conde, Zona Colonial, the Malecon(area along the sea wall). It is also a few blocks from a Santo Domingo Metro Station(The Joaquin Balaguer Station). My guest and I found that convenient since we utilized the Metro several times during my stay. If you want to get a taste of American fast food, there is a Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Sbarro, and Dominos Pizza to name a few.

This hotel is easy a 5-star hotel. If this hotel were in my city(Washington, DC) or anywhere else in the United States, it would cost well over $200.00 (US Dollars) a night to stay here. However, I paid only $79.00 (US Dollars) a night and my reservation was made less than a month prior to my trip (9/12/13).

My four day vacation in Santo Domingo was probably one of the greatest times I had in my life and my stay at this Courtyard had a lot to do with it. My stay here was FLAWLESS. Without a doubt, I would recommend ANYONE, who plans to stay in the capital city of the Dominican Republic and is looking for a TOP-NOTCH 5-star hotel at a great bargain, to stay here. They have the best staff on Earth. This Courtyard Marriot hotel is everything that you are looking for and more. In my future visits to the capital city, I will be staying here and nowhere else. Me Encanta!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank midnightlaw202
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel has great rooms with a great location. I spent two nights here.The hotel is as good or better than any Courtyard that you would find in North America. The staff was friendly and spoke great english. The rooms were of international quality. Bed was very comfortable. Plenty of english speaking channels on the cable TV. Free parking if you have a rental car and there is a McDonald's across the street, The other great thing is the price of the rooms are a very reasonable. If I come back to Santo Domingo this is were I will be staying.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo