“Renovation ASAP”

Ranked #24 of 79 Hotels in Santo Domingo
New York City, New York
“Renovation ASAP”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is worn down! It needs a renovation. It has inspirational phrases on most walls (by the bed, at the lobby, hallways) that diminishes the value of the hotel. The restaurant staff is everything the front desk is not, attentive, friendly, professional. Breakfast was amazing! (I need the recipe for the scrambled eggs) Location is perfect.
Gay-friendly

Room Tip: The master room has a small balcony with lounge chairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank silvio l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I initially booked a room for 3 nights but ended up staying for 9 nights.
Everyone at the hotel was welcoming and friendly. I can't say I found any fault with them at all.
The hotel is in a great location, very close to the cathedral. There are plenty of tourist sights close to the hotel and El Conde is just around the corner if you are looking for gifts to take home.

I had a White Room which was clean and pleasant. It overlooked the small parking area so it was quiet and I wasn't bothered by street noise as some have commented. The only thing I would mention is that there was a lot of noise from other guests around midnight every night. I'm not sure why they had to shout at each other but I'm sure that's a problem for any hotel. Also outside my window was a large extractor fan which came on about 6am every morning, I presume it was above the kitchen. I slept well though, the bed was very comfortable. I never did get the hang of the AC; I was either too warm or freezing, I live in the tropics and prefer to just have a ceiling fan. The bed was a double size which seemed very small from what I am used to. There was good free wi-fi in the bedroom which for me is essential.

The bathroom was small but adequate.

I had breakfast every morning and there is an outdoor area. On one morning the restaurant was very busy and seating was a bit of a struggle. There's a good (not great) selection on offer; cereal, fruit, cooked items etc;

If you want to take guests back then that is no trouble and they go out of their way to make sure you are safe.

I'd certainly look at staying here again when I next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Alicante, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We arrived at the Hodelpa Caribe Colonial Hotel by taxi. The front desk person offered us a glass of 'champagne'. Negative was that speaking to him was almost impossible because he was all the time talking to some-one on the phone.
Than they want us to pay a certain amount in advance, although we made our booking through booking.com. They told us they were not taking the money from the account but it was just 'in case of'.
This was the first time we ever had to pay in advance (and we have been travelling a lot). We did not appreciate that.
Finally we got a small room at the front size of the hotel. Very old furniture, not nice at all.
there were 2 enormous beds and they slept well.
Bathroom small but clean.
The noise from the street was terrible, the whole night a lot of music, mopeds, cars, just name it.
The hotel is situated in the centre of the old town and you can easily walk to visit the colonial city.
Breakfast was a typical Caribbean breakfast with lot of fruit and nice coffee.

Room Tip: ask for a room not at the front side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Spokane Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is my 3rd visit! The small hotel is welcoming, the staff friendly and helpful.
Clean rooms - great location within the Colonial city. The breakfast was wonderful.
Have had a very nice experience every time I have been able to visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Baltimore, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have beeen to the Dominican Republic many times over the last eleven years, and probably visited ten to twelve hotels. By far the Hodelpa Caribe Colonial is the best. It is a small Boutique hotel with 52 or 56 rooms, and the staff is superb. Beginning with the front desk reception and ending with the Manager Eduardo Munoz. The housekeeping staff was very good and nice, and the whole restaurant staff especially Pamela and Zacarias were the best.While using the free internet in the lobby. i would often see Eduardo the manager and he would always ask "How is everything and is there anything i can do for you" My answer would always be'Everything is great and thank you there is nothing you can do. also i almost forgot, The food in the restaurant was delicious. Overall i would highly reccomend staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank dave m
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

The staff, overall, are friendly and helpful. I've stayed here several times, and have experienced maintenance issues each time, from a bathroom door that does not latch closed, to electricity periodically going out in the bathroom. The mini refrigerator in my room this time was old and very noisy. Despite these issues, I enjoy my stays here. It's comfortable and relaxing. Another positive: the a/c has been very good in the two different rooms I've stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Donald C
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Spent New Years Eve 2013 here and although I was hesitant of the distance from some of my local haunts to the hotel, my fears went unwarranted. This hotel is such an amazing find. From the delicious Dominican HOT breakfast to the attention to details, I truly enjoyed my stay here. I particularly loved how the staff made sure the guests were always taken care of. This was apparent to me when I had company, and unlike the other hotels in Santo Domingo the Hodelpa does not charge a guest fee nor do they harass your guests. Once your guests come in they must leave their Dominican ID card, Cedula with the Reception desk. Upon their exit, before giving your guest back their Cedula, the Reception desk calls you to make sure everything is fine and that you are ok. WOW, just that attention to safety sold me on this place. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the back since they tend to be quieter than the rooms with the terraces that f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends