“Conveniently located near the nightclubs in Zona Colonial”
Review of Adam Suites

Adam Suites
Ranked #3 of 68 Santo Domingo B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Conveniently located near the nightclubs in Zona Colonial”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Dominican Republic is a developing country... so if you are looking for a western hotel experience this might not be the hotel for you. However, if you want a genuine DR experience, then Adam Suites fits the bill. It is located within an easy walk of most of Santo Domingo's tourist attractions, pedestrian streets, and great restaurants. Note, this is a hotel primarily for gay men, across the street from the two largest gay clubs in the city, with all that comes with it (including solicitations from rent boys on the street when you are on the balcony). The staff were attentive, funny, and helpful. Airport pickup was comparably priced vs. taxis and saved the hassle. We would definitely stay here again if we come back to Santo Domingo.

Room Tip: If you are not there to enjoy the nightlife until the wee hours, ask for a room away from the street...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank garhuff
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear guests from Atlanta... Allow me to thank you guys for your nice review and your comments about us. I am glad that you wrote " if you want a genuine DR experience, then Adam Suites fits the bill" and yes, we do, not only because our location is the best, walking distance to the restaurants, bars and to the many tourist attractions that the city offers but because we really care for our customers and we treat them with respect and as friends. I'm also glad that you recommended our airport pickup services, the fare is like any other taxi fare, but safer and personalized for our guests.

Finally, I am glad that you guys are definitely coming back again. Thanks! Gilbert

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have never stayed at a hotel that has provided service like Adam suites, it was truly 5 star service! I arrived on a really late flight and Gilbert the owner had arraigned for me to be picked up and the car service was right there waiting for me and when we arrived to the hotel and it was well past 1am the staff was waiting for me and took me straight to my room. It was such a smooth arrival. The pictures don't do it justice, this is an amazing place and in the middle of it all. If you are thinking of staying here just book it already. You will have a memorable experience. I will definitley be returning, Thank you Gilbert for making the best Mojito that I have had in a long time and for treating me like family and showing me such a good time. Luis M

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Luis M
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Luis... Thanks for such nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed our facility especially when this was your first time at the hotel. First impression always counts! I also value that you appreciated our car services because that’s an investment that every guest should make because it means safety! Once again, thanks! Hope to see you back soon :-)
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed at Adam Suites for a week last week and enjoyed my trip. It was very relaxing and I would recommend it to others. The staff was friendly and helpful and Gilbert makes the best Mojito that I have had.

When I arrived friday night at around 10:30 pm, Gilbert welcomed me and told me to relax. He told me some places to go and gave me an overview of the area. He didn't want to overwhelm me with too much information. The next morning, he gave me a more detailed overview and I took care of payment for the hotel. It was so good that he gave me time to relax when I got there since it was a long travel day for me. it really put me at ease when I arrived.

I also liked that he tailored it to my preferences. I am a low key traveler and like to get out and explore on my own. I like to go at my pace and interact with locals. If you are looking for guided tours and more structure, he can help with that. So it was nice to see that he lets the traveler go at their own pace and tailors his offerings to what they are looking for.

There are issues of the power going out sometimes, people asking for money on the street or beach, people trying to scam and overcharge you, but those are outside of the hotels control. I only mention it here because I see other reviews where people have criticized the hotel for that. These are issues with traveling to a less developed country and have to be expected. People just need to go to Santo Domingo with the right expectations.

As for entering and leaving the hotel late at night, that was a different experience for me. I am not used to that in the US, so I wasn't expecting it. During the weekend nights, it wasn't a big issue because they keep the door open very late and you can go in and out very easily. During the week, it is a little less convenient, but you might end up waiting a minute or two to get in. I never had to wait more than a minute. On the plus side, it does make you feel more secure because entry and exiting is being monitored by their staff and as long as they know that you are still out on the town, they will keep an eye on you for when you are going to be coming back to the hotel.

Overall, I would recommend this as a good value for the money. With the small number of rooms, it does feel more personal than the bigger, more western style, more expensive hotels. I ended up paying $59 for a hotel with a great location and great staff.

Room Tip: May want a room in the back on the weekend because you can hear street noise from the bars across th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Shawn G
Dear Shawn... I would like to thanks you for such lengthy and nice review. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to go online and tho this site to review us and to comment about our services and hospitality. It is my hope that you come back soon and bring a friend with you!

Thanks for your nice words towards me and the staff. Have a nice holiday season!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed December 3, 2013

First day at checkin,owner tried to charge for a higher priced room,said he could not find my reservation,when in reality,he confirmed it 1 month ahead through the internet.,He said there were no more rooms of the price range I had a confirmation.After I insisted to give me the room I requested,he send me to the room in a very rude way,so I could tell he lied to me.I invited a friend of mine to visit me,he said he could not get in because he had no ID.My friend actually had ID ,he mistaken him for another guest's friend.Again,instead of apologizing for the mistake,he started sermoning me about bringing people with no id.I told him I am aware of that and he started screaming and call me names.To top it all,he turns off all lectricity at about 4 am until 6am.So,be prepared to sweat and good luck to find ur way to the bathroom and tripping

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank flyboy69805
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
I would like to respond to this review by saying that comments made by this person from Puerto Rico are unjust, unfair and a full of made-up incidents.

It seems like this individual has the intention of damaging our reputation and excellent review history as well as my personal integrity too making false allegations. Not only have we prided ourselves for having great customer services but also for our dedicated personal attention to every guests which are all part of a niche market- one that we are part of it too.

I also find interesting that for this reviewer, everything that has to do with our hotel, was Terrible- from our location, sleep quality, to our rooms, cleanliness and services.

In contrast to this person opinion, I would like readers to also know that we were the recipient and winners of the “2013 Certificate of Excellence” given by tripadvisor.com and all due to our constants excellent and very good reviews received from real guests and loyal patrons. Please browse thru them too.

Finally, it is my hope that you visit us soon and experience our great boutique hotel, our services, the amazing location that we have- in the heart of the colonial zone- our hospitality and all that Santo Domingo has to offer. Thanks. See you soon!
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This hotel exceeded all expectations. Our room was enough for what we needed, a place to crash and store our stuff while we took in all Santo Domingo had to offer. The best part of the hotel is the service and it's expert host and hospitality guru, Gilbert. He made us feel as though we were staying at our best friend's house, not a cookie-cutter establishment. Upon arrival he welcomed us with an El Presidente and gave us an orientation of the location. The next day he took us with his friend to Boca Chica. Seriously? Where can you stay where the owner of the accommodations takes you on a personal tour? Take notes Marriott! Get a clue Hilton!

In all seriousness, the nightlife is close and walk-able, but get plenty of rest, Los Dominicans get started late. So don't plan on the bar/club scene being busy before 10pm. El Conde is just 1 block and peppered with local flavors and shopping. Beautiful beaches are as far as the eye can see.

The staff was so kind and went the extra mile from the get go. We arrived from NYC at noon. Our second night there, a private party (with adult entertainment) was provided for a special guest's birthday and we were invited! It was fantastic!

Housekeeping went above and beyond to ensure our room was clean. We walked into the room and felt like we were on a cruise with the towels shaped like animals and adorned with local flora. Hello! Amazing! The rooms are modest, but the service is well worth the cultural immersion.

Definitely staying here the next time we're in Santo Domingo and recommending it to everyone reading!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank landoncole
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
What an amazing and nice review about our hotel! Thanks for taking the time to write about us and our facility and also for your kind words towards me and the staff. It provided much joy to read that is you left with such high impression about us. Please come back soon and pass the world around. Regards, Gilbert
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was my first time visiting Dom Rep from Jamaica and I have to say that Gilbert's Adams is a great place to start. Very centrally located to all the action and an exceptionally attentive staff that you could talk to about anything. Best if you know a little Spanish but not ultimately required. The balcony is a great perching spot to look out unto the night time action on the street and there is plenty. You can partake in full or be an observer as I managed to do both very comfortably. The bed is comfortable and the aircon works and believe me you will need it on many days especially if you stay out at the bars until 6am and need to get your beauty sleep in the day. From my welcome--the cab service from the airport and then being personally escorted to all the main clubs/bars on my first night by the staff and shown the lay of the land--to the hugs on my departure--I felt very warm and fuzzy and welcome. I left Santo Domingo to spend a few days up in Cabarete then came right back to Adams before I left for one more evening and warmth and frivolity.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Irie J
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear guest from Jamaica.

I'm glad that you had enjoyed your stay at the hotel and thanks for such nice and kind words towards me and the staff. It is always nice to read reviews like yours because we do everything possible to make the guests stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. Come back soon and bring some friends alone. Thanks!
New York
Reviewed October 13, 2013

First let me say if you are looking for resort style living there are many other places in the DR that will give you that experience.

If you are looking for a clean convenient friendly honest and very safe place that will give you all that the colonial zone has to offer this is the place. I mean the hottest club in the area us right in front of the hotel. And all the bars are like a 2-3 minute walk.The staff here is first class, they know you by name, they actually wait up to make sure you make it back in your room safely. I have never stayed in a boutique hotel where every staff member from owner to front desk to housekeeping to security bends over backwards to keep you happy. Thats why I would give them 10 stars.

Here is why I will only stay in Adams Suites when in the DR. I was walking down the street and a guy asked to cut my hair, I said no but he was persistent, I finally went in and got a hair cut, pedi, mani body shave and my goetee darkened. When it was time to pay I realized I did not have enough on me. The guy sent one of his employees back to the hotel with me to collect the money. When I got there I realized I needed to go to the ATM. I asked the owner of Adams Suites where the ATM was he asked me why I told him he then dropped the bomb on me. I was being over charged by 1000% yes you read that correctly. Well long story short he quickly corrected the situation became very angry and threatened to call the police on the barber. The Ritz Carlton wouldnt have even done that!!! I am scheduled for a masaage this evening and cant wait. Everything has been more than I have expected and I looking forward to the masaage doing the same. THANK YOU ADAM SUITES HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank ledwar
adamsuiteshotel, Owner at Adam Suites, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest... If you could only see my face while I was reading your review. I had a big happy face and was LOL all the way to the end. The barber story!!! jejej. As you said, that's the difference of staying at a boutique hotel, managed by the owner, that also happens to leave in the property- my case.

I can also tell you that my clientele can afford those big chain hotels but we get chosen because the reason you outlined- the services we provide, the staff, the security and the feeling that you are treated with respect as a friend.

Once gain, THANKS SO MUCH. Come back and bring your friends alone. We'll take care of the barber if needed again, they are now all afraid of me! LOL. I am like a pitbull when someone messes with my guests. :-) Thanks! Gilbert.